Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Sooooooooooooooooooooo .... what's up Doc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sooooooooooooooooooooo .... what's up Doc?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2003, 4:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
I will say that the first thing that crossed my mind was that someone who only polled HALF as many votes as even avek00 did certainly does have "guts" to remind us of the election. Flyertalkers sent a very clear and unmistakeable message there.

IMO. </font>
The first thing that crosses my mind is that most of the people whining about the TB did NOT have the guts to run.

You can take your potshot at my vote total, at least I had the GUTS to run.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Sometimes I get to have a VERY big laugh at a post. This is one time.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
1. Both resolutions you mention are undated in any way on Town Hall. May I suggest it becomes firm policy that ALL future motions (and these two as well) carry a clear date upon which they were voted.
</font>
Here is a good suggestion, and one worth passing along to Spiff.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">2. The point patron makes re President is one that I and others have made before.</font>
The TB has not voted or even considered a President for Life. For the moment we're just carrying on with our existing framework while the new members get a feel for what we can do and best to work with Randy and staff. Agreed, this does not follow the formal rules that remain on the website.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">3. Previous TB members neatly managed to avoid ever discussing the almost non-existent progress of TB by saying "we are gagged from commenting publicly on TB matters".

Was there a recent vote to overturn this gag, seeing you are clearly commenting on this matter and not the "spokesperson" Spiff? </font>
Spiff's agreed-upon role is to update the TownHall area. That is the method that the TalkBoard uses (admittedly not always to full effect) to communicate with the community.

That doesn't mean Spiff is the only one to engage the community.

The 'gag rule' to which you refer says
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">TalkBoard should enact a "quiet period" meaning that no individual TalkBoard member should publicly discuss either their own or other members' positions on current issues under discussion until the Board has resolved their collective wisdom on the issue of disclosure.</font>
(Emphasis mine.)

I take this to mean that we ought to keep quiet on (a) things currently being discussed but (b) once the discussion or vote has concluded even those can be discussed. I don't know of any other constraints. Of course, if I've misspoken I'm sure someone will let me know!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I just reflect back on the excitement and enthusiasm mid year when this election was being campaigned for, and reflect sadly on the almost total lack of activity since. [/B]</font>
Apologies if I have disappointed you or any other FT members to date. As I've said, if there's an issue that you feel needs some attention please let me know.

Best,
Gary
Old Nov 23, 2003, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks gleff.

So the mere fact you are clearly commenting on elections can surely be taken to mean clearly there is NO election even planned as a "current issue under discussion"?

TalkBoard member should publicly discuss either their own or other members' positions on current issues under discussion until the Board has resolved their collective wisdom on the issue of disclosure.

As I pointed there are only NINE of you on TB.

The Rules say the TALKBOARD are the ones to elect a President from among their number. Why it would take more than a few days and a few emails or thread on TB forum escapes me. Seems like a crystal clear guideline on that one:

The TB shall elect a President and a Vice President during the first two weeks of their term.

Old Nov 23, 2003, 6:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Sometimes I get to have a VERY big laugh at a post. This is one time.</font>
It takes a big man to laugh at himself.

Pretty easy to take potshots from the peanut gallery.

Old Nov 23, 2003, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:

It takes a big man to laugh at himself.

</font>
Thank you.

Nice to see NOT every post you make on Flyertalk is 100% negative.

Old Nov 24, 2003, 2:44 am
Patron

First of all, I applaud gleff for taking the time and effort to contribute. Based on your information I have the impression, that the TB does not work based on TB Guidelines outlined by Randy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
President: Will call, preside and set agendas for all meetings, act as executive officer of TB and appoint committees as appropriate. Will also function as Secretary, ensuring that the minutes of TB meetings are recorded and distributed to all TB members & FT Management or liaisons. The time period for distribution will be no more than 15 days after a formal meeting has occurred. Distribution of summaries of discussions/resolutions which have occurred online will be delivered monthly in the first week of each month.
</font>
and communicated to our community
The board aspires to meet quarterly via a private room on FlyerTalk Live!, and discusses topics regularly via a private forum on FlyerTalk. Minutes of the TalkBoard meetings are made available to the community on the FlyerTalk Web site. The minutes may be edited to protect individual user identity and privacy.
</font>
However, it could be fruitful for the interests of the FlyerTalk if the TB put these topics on its agenda and come to a conclusion in a reasonable amount of time:

1. Redesign of FT Travel
At the beginning of this year TalkTeam moderator robb invested his time for the benefit of the community and proposes fora chances. In May, former TB member chexfan questioned, if there is a need for multiple fora in FT Travel or if TravelBuzz is a dumping ground for all inquiries. The later proposal was based on various inputs of community members, notable Sweet Willie & cactuspete. Wether or not the TB will pass or reject a motion and wether or not Randy will follow these suggestion, IMO community members should get feedback from authorities.

2. Moderation
My guess is that Randy offer fora and expect from the contributors that we use it. TalkModerators were introduced to close/move/archive topics that are inappropriate to a particular forum. IMO it is import that every forum gets an reasonable amount of traffic that everyone who asks gets an timely answer. Let me bring an example: The SkyTeam Forum is almost dead, because DL forum is dealing with these type of questions, eg:

Here We Go Again- Aeroflot and AF Get Closer. Is SkyTeam Getting Another Partner?
What exactly is SkyTeam? What does it do?
SkyTeam News: Potential AF/AZ Merger and KLM Membership in ST
KLM finally makes decision for SkyTeam
Aeroflot Joining SkyTeam?

IMO if a DL moderator goes by the rulebook, than he has to move such threads to SkyTeam. I know that this is a completely unpractical solution, because I do neither see support from the community nor from TB. Anyway, decisions of moderators are questionable, but how. Here is a reaction from our long time TB president here:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cigarman:
obscure2k chill out about air farce
obscure, you should not have locked my airfrance thread, and stated that you would move it to air france forum. As you are aware this will affect DELTA flyers. Air France is a DELTA codeshare partner and people holding tickets they think are on Delta may be in fact on Air Farce Metal. The role of a moderator is not defined by moving threads for no purpose. As Delta fylers we have an interest in what our code share carriers are doing. I guess to stay within "guidlines", we could title the thread "DELTA CODESHARE CARRIER GOES ON STRIKE AGAIN!!! CHECK YOUR TICKETS". Same info, belongs in this forum. A light hand moderating is prefferable to moving stuff that has some relevance to the forum it is in. Now stepping off my soapbox.</font>
One approach to clear the situation could be to define what’s appropriate in one forum; if there is no room for a satellite, I would vote for deleting.

3. More efficient support for Randy
Flyertalk is only one of many priorities that the Webflyer folks have - so when we make a suggestion it does sometimes take a little while to get feedback on that suggestion.</font>
My experience with the WebFlyer organisation is like this: If it is important for them, they fix it immediately. Look at Technical Issues, look at quick the introduction of the new Midwest Airlines forum, look how quick Randy steps in if some of us overlooked tools like MileMarker. Bottom line: If it is important for WebFlyer, than the fix it! The good thing on that is, that Randy always made me believe that what is important for our community is important for him!

I hate to say this, but if we are critical to ourselves, we should not neglect this:
The owner swoops in out of nowhere, selectively enforces rules and disappears again.</font>
It is unfair to let play Randy the role of a fireman if he has volunteers. Needles to say, if I would search, I find at least one thread with similar TOS violation. And then I understand that there are questions about enforcement of TOS.

I wish TB all the best and promise that I do not come back on this thread.

[This message has been edited by Patron (edited Nov 24, 2003).]

Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:50 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
Why can't we ALL accept the fact that it is Randy's board. We are only guests. If he (who established the TB rules) is unhappy with the new TB, it will change. OTOH, if he is happy with the new TB, it will stay the same.

I suggest you all go back to your normal postings about FF matters. I for one do not equate FT to a political 'community' entity where I have some g0d-given right to representation and a voice in how it is run.

I am more than content to live under what I consider to be a benevolent dictatorship that makes available at no cost to me a forum that has made my air travel far more...... you supply your own word(s.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Old Jan 31, 2004, 8:06 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
OK we are now at about 5 months

Any news to report??
Old Feb 5, 2004, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
DOC RECENTLY posted in one of the dining forums.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 4:33 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
DOC RECENTLY posted in one of the dining forums.</font>
Now, that is news.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited Feb 05, 2004).]
Old Feb 5, 2004, 5:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
doc posted Feb 02, 2004 08:15 AM

http://www.flyertalk.com/dining/ftdi...ML/000132.html

West Bank Cafe
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And in Community in December re the dinner with Randy. And he still reads FT as avidly as ever, I can assure you.

My goodness with all these recent posts, for a wild moment there I thought the TalkBoard was active and telling us what they were doing.

Oh well, back to my siesta too .......

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:19 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
I miss Doc..
Old Feb 12, 2004, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Four MONTHS now since the original post. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

------------------
Try and make it down to SYD for "OZ FEST 2004" - May 21-23

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited Feb 12, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.