Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Limiting Number of New Threads for Newbies

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by lo2e
As long as there has been spam, there have been ways for spammers to get around any roadblocks put up to try to stop it. It's constantly evolving, unfortunately.

I know IB and mods are doing an awesome job attacking spam each time something crops up, as evidenced by the thread in the Tech Support forum. Until they know the next method of attack, it's impossible to plan for everything.
Was thinking the same as I scanned this thread. It make take a bit, but the mods/IB have been very good about cleaning up the spam posts.

All of that said - I visit some boards that have restrictions like needing to post in a "Let Me Introduce Myself" type of forum/thread before being able to post anywhere else on the site, so if the spam REALLY becomes a site-wide problem, something like that could be implemented to at least corral it to one forum. Just an idea.
An interesting idea!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm not sure someone who comes to FT looking for info on his/her airline or hotel program is going to want to post a Who I am/Let Me Introduce Myself post just to ask a question about an upgrade on an airline or if they get exec lounge access as part of their bennies.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Also I'm going to go out on a limb here & say 99% of "newbies" don't spam & thus shouldn't have their contributions limited.
Their contributions are already limited by the PM limit.

I'm not saying I don't think they should be able to post more than 5 times a day, I'm saying they shouldn't be able to start more than 5 threads a day for a limited period of time.

But it was just a thought after I saw 25 threads started by a seriel spammer only to come back the next day and do it all again.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm not sure someone who comes to FT looking for info on his/her airline or hotel program is going to want to post a Who I am/Let Me Introduce Myself post just to ask a question about an upgrade on an airline or if they get exec lounge access as part of their bennies.

Cheers.
Agreed, especially as I can think of several members off hand who carefully guard their privacy. It seems unfair to require everyone to divulge details about themselves.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:13 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
What tool is not working? I find the tools work pretty fine.... and have mods really complained about workload to you?

I probably get more SPAM posts in Travel Products than most other mods.... but I do not consider it hard work.... that is what we are here for.... and the tools are pretty good at pre-empting spammers.

Flyertalk members often make it difficult for new members to feel welcomed as it is.... why should we make it more unwelcoming?

If you see a post you believe is SPAM... report it and move on.... I cannot believe one or two spam messages is really ruining your FT experience.

I do hope that the Talkboard does not give this serious consideration.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I don't think the issue is banning IP address. The mods already have that tool and for some seriel spammers, I don't think it's working.

I'm talking about a limit on the number of new threads that can be started to try to take some work off the mods.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
A solution in search of a problem.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
What tool is not working? I find the tools work pretty fine.... and have mods really complained about workload to you?

I probably get more SPAM posts in Travel Products than most other mods.... but I do not consider it hard work.... that is what we are here for.... and the tools are pretty good at pre-empting spammers.

Flyertalk members often make it difficult for new members to feel welcomed as it is.... why should we make it more unwelcoming?

If you see a post you believe is SPAM... report it and move on.... I cannot believe one or two spam messages is really ruining your FT experience.

I do hope that the Talkboard does not give this serious consideration.
I never said a tool wasn't working. I did say it was not working to keep the seriel spammers at bay.
I never said that any mod complained
I never said that it ruined my experience.

What I did say was that I thought limiting new threads for new users might make mods life a little easier.

No more, no less.

Sheesh... you would think I suggested paining a red N on all their posts.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One thing that is not going to happen here: disclosure of specific FlyerTalk parameters and methodologies of handling spam; we're not going to give spammers a platform to learn that information.

We can say that new members with posts that have certain markers or inclusions will have their posts detoured to a moderation queue for approval (or other actions) by Moderators; new members are therefore throttled on their ebilities to start new threads because of that, and they are throttled back on how many PMs they can send. (We do not publicly specify the restrictions by numerical limits for obvious reasons.)

We can say that between the spam control protocols and the Moderator team, FlyerTalk is remarkably free of spam. Though occasional spam storms manage to broach our defenses, they are usually brief and dealt with effectively. As Moderators, we see the suppressed and deleted posts and threads; thankfully, other members generally don't.

Mostly, if not entirely, these issues pertain to Internet Brands Admin and Tech, and to the FlyerTalk Community Director. TalkBoard Topics is not genuinely the venue for deciding further refinement or changes regarding FlyerTalk spam control protocols.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
What I did say was that I thought limiting new threads for new users might make mods life a little easier.
Maybe, but based on posts from mods the change would be negligible. Furthermore, I think any benefit to the Mods would be to the determinant to the website.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re comparisons, everyone on FT has to wait 30 seconds between posts
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:46 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Their contributions are already limited by the PM limit.

I'm not saying I don't think they should be able to post more than 5 times a day, I'm saying they shouldn't be able to start more than 5 threads a day for a limited period of time.

But it was just a thought after I saw 25 threads started by a seriel spammer only to come back the next day and do it all again.
I question if their contributions are limited by the PM limit. Perhaps their contribution to individual members is limited, but their contribution to FT isn't.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm saying they shouldn't be able to start more than 5 threads a day for a limited period of time.
Do we know if the software for this site will support such a feature?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

No, we don't. It was just a thought that popped into my head when I saw a seriel spammer AND the thread about PMs for newbies popped up in technical issues.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Just to chime in here on the record: with a team of 94 moderators, for these reasons...
Originally Posted by JDiver
We can say that new members with posts that have certain markers or inclusions will have their posts detoured to a moderation queue for approval (or other actions) by Moderators; new members are therefore throttled on their ebilities to start new threads because of that, and they are throttled back on how many PMs they can send. (We do not publicly specify the restrictions by numerical limits for obvious reasons.)

We can say that between the spam control protocols and the Moderator team, FlyerTalk is remarkably free of spam. Though occasional spam storms manage to broach our defenses, they are usually brief and dealt with effectively. As Moderators, we see the suppressed and deleted posts and threads; thankfully, other members generally don't.

Mostly, if not entirely, these issues pertain to Internet Brands Admin and Tech, and to the FlyerTalk Community Director. TalkBoard Topics is not genuinely the venue for deciding further refinement or changes regarding FlyerTalk spam control protocols.
...and more, I am opposed to this proposal.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Just to chime in here on the record: with a team of 94 moderators, for these reasons......and more, I am opposed to this proposal.
I dunno. There seems to be a spammer who has a bunch of related user names...Flatbush, Greenpoint, Midwood, Bushwick, Mill Basin, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Park Slope, and at least one other Brooklyn neighborhood which I can't seem to remember.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.