Wiki Posts
Search

Class Action Lawsuit/Settlement Forum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Interesting idea, but from more of a legal point, couldn't this open up FT to legal issues in the suit including in the discovery phase?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lo2e
Right now, the majority of threads in SPAM seem to deal with congas and information for either cash rewards or other point-based reward programs. But there are also freebies such as samples, coupons for free products, and free opportunities like admission to parks/museums/etc. I don't see much else other than those.

Would a good name for the forum be something like "Alternative Reward Programs and Freebies" with a description denoting it as the place for other cash reward or point-based award programs and free stuff? And yes, I think class action things would be fine in there.
This sounds like frequent (airport) parker programs would fit in here as well.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
... may get you cash benefits back as well...
FlyerTalk is a travel site, not a couponing site. Saving money on travel is on topic. Recovering compensation when something goes wrong during travel is on topic. Joining a suit against a tuna cannery is off topic.

I do understand that you disagree, but perhaps we can agree that information needs to be located where most FlyerTalk members would be likely to look for it. If I am travelling in Europe and my flight is delayed, I am most likely to inquire about compensation in the forum discussing the airline that I was flying. There are, in fact, short threads discussing this site in the United and Aegean forums, and a two post thread in Travel Technology.

If I don't find anything in the airline forum, I would look in the Europe forum because I am aware that the EU specifies compensation. I would not look in the S.P.A.M. forum, nor in a Class Action Suit forum, if there were one.

I am encouraging you to create evidence to support your assertion that this topic would warrant a forum or sub-forum. The existing threads suggest otherwise. If you don't think the Europe forum is the right place, start the thread elsewhere, but I think your proposal will not reach the Motion stage until there is some data to demonstrate interest in discussing the topic.

Last edited by mia; Sep 9, 2015 at 9:20 am
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:16 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by jason8612
Interesting idea, but from more of a legal point, couldn't this open up FT to legal issues in the suit including in the discovery phase?
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Can you please provide an example?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This appears to be a good place to begin following some types of class action suits:

https://www.truthinadvertising.org/c...ction-tracker/
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
One thing about winning a legal case, the loser is not always a winner, nor do they always collect...
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:18 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Can you please provide an example?
The other side could use the messages on flyertalk and claim that it was a willful act to defraud/ruin the company. They could ask for all the PMs between the members involved.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mia
This appears to be a good place to begin following some types of class action suits:

https://www.truthinadvertising.org/c...ction-tracker/
Thanks. now I need my fee cans of redbull for adding my name to the settlement about the "wings" it doesn't give
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:44 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by jason8612
The other side could use the messages on flyertalk and claim that it was a willful act to defraud/ruin the company. They could ask for all the PMs between the members involved.
I guess that's possible, but it wouldn't happen during the discovery phase of a class action, since these cases rarely have much visibility outside the courtroom until a settlement (most often) or a verdict is announced. In my experience, potential class members are notified long after discovery is complete. Not to mention, wouldn't allegations about defrauding a company would be an issue entirely separate from the torts described in the class action litigation?

If it's commonplace to for a company to go after people interested in the case, you'd think they'd begin with the lawyers who advertise heavily when soliciting possible victims. Also, I'd imagine they'd sue any number of the other websites that distribute information about class action lawsuits. And if someone is stupid enough to say on a public bulletin board, "Wow, I never bought XXXX product, but I'm going to lie and say I did in order to get a check for $12.37 cents," then they probably deserve whatever they have coming to them.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
My first $1,000 from AirHelp has been wired to my bank account today!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.