FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Class Action Lawsuit/Settlement Forum
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:44 am
chgoeditor
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by jason8612
The other side could use the messages on flyertalk and claim that it was a willful act to defraud/ruin the company. They could ask for all the PMs between the members involved.
I guess that's possible, but it wouldn't happen during the discovery phase of a class action, since these cases rarely have much visibility outside the courtroom until a settlement (most often) or a verdict is announced. In my experience, potential class members are notified long after discovery is complete. Not to mention, wouldn't allegations about defrauding a company would be an issue entirely separate from the torts described in the class action litigation?

If it's commonplace to for a company to go after people interested in the case, you'd think they'd begin with the lawyers who advertise heavily when soliciting possible victims. Also, I'd imagine they'd sue any number of the other websites that distribute information about class action lawsuits. And if someone is stupid enough to say on a public bulletin board, "Wow, I never bought XXXX product, but I'm going to lie and say I did in order to get a check for $12.37 cents," then they probably deserve whatever they have coming to them.