Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Disappointing.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
At least this one didn't go on for 370 posts like the thread to close Travel News did.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
Disappointing.
What can I say? There was strong support from the people who post there as well as from TB members.

I do think that my suggestion to perhaps rework SPAM and put gaming threads there is an idea that might bear thinking about.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
There was strong support from the people who post there
Yet none of the forum users even bothered to reply to a thread started by a TB member in that forum.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yet none of the forum users even bothered to reply to a thread started by a TB member in that forum.
Well yeah, that thread invited them to post here, that's what usually happens in these cases.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Other than making irrelevant (or even snide) remarks, what purpose would posting in that forum's thread serve that wouldn't be better / more appropriately done here?

I'm sure many "forum users" you speak of have followed or at least read this thread. I have; I just don't see the need to restate what others have said as it would do nothing more than supply an obnoxious "+1".

For the record, I have no particular love for the Gaming Loyalty forum; like all other FT forums I participate in, I do so when I believe I can be helpful or contribute a certain point of view. That said, I'll give said obnoxious +1 here and say that:
  1. Gaming loyalty programs are very similar to the other loyalty programs that are the heart of FT's "Miles&Points" category;
  2. many threads in Gaming Loyalty contain useful or hard-to-find information on these programs or the operations of the companies running these programs; and
  3. it is difficult to think of what other forum(s) might appropriately host such threads.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:09 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Disappointing.
tcook052, what is it about "gaming" that you hate so much?
Do you not agree that it's basically a loyalty points program, much like any airline or hotel program. Isn't that the purpose of FlyerTalk? Miles+POINTS?

Originally Posted by gengar
Other than making irrelevant (or even snide) remarks, what purpose would posting in that forum's thread serve that wouldn't be better / more appropriately done here?

I'm sure many "forum users" you speak of have followed or at least read this thread. I have; I just don't see the need to restate what others have said as it would do nothing more than supply an obnoxious "+1".

For the record, I have no particular love for the Gaming Loyalty forum; like all other FT forums I participate in, I do so when I believe I can be helpful or contribute a certain point of view. That said, I'll give said obnoxious +1 here and say that:
  1. Gaming loyalty programs are very similar to the other loyalty programs that are the heart of FT's "Miles&Points" category;
  2. many threads in Gaming Loyalty contain useful or hard-to-find information on these programs or the operations of the companies running these programs; and
  3. it is difficult to think of what other forum(s) might appropriately host such threads.
Yep, gengar, agree 100%. Not sure why some are so opposed to the board; when there are (many) other boards that also get light traffic. It's probably, as we have discussed, the most miles+POINTS relevant board out of the "lightly trafficked" forums.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
tcook052, what is it about "gaming" that you hate so much?
Who said I hate gaming loyalty programs? I wasn't even the one who started this thread it seems you failed to note. I just pointed out the painfully obvious which is that it's a lightly trafficked a forum and MHO is that TB should regularly review whether such slow forums be slated for shuttering.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Who said I hate gaming loyalty programs? I wasn't even the one who started this thread it seems you failed to note. I just pointed out the painfully obvious which is that it's a lightly trafficked a forum and MHO is that TB should regularly review whether such slow forums be slated for shuttering.
Well, me.

You sure seem to have a heck of a lot of opinion and interest vis-a-vis the Gaming Loyalty Forum.

28 posts in 2015 is somewhat active? Hardly more than one post per week.

No but where's the benefit to FT in so lightly used a forum? Could these discussions be housed elsewhere as easily as OP suggests? I think so though that's merely MHO.
Indeed and little it seems has changed in my opinion since.
I support closing moribund forums and you can examine for yourself if you haven't already nsx's 2014 forum stats spreadsheet which shows the amount of traffic or lack thereof in each forum.

Less is more.
Yes, that the way it's supposed to be if TB followed its own guidelines adopted in this motion however for whatever reason it seems unwilling to do so hence the suggestions on an ad hoc basis.
The linked forum activity spreadsheet doesn't support that claim and would suggest you compare the Travel News forum activity with the Gaming Loyalty program traffic.

If all of TB can't be bothered conducting a review then perhaps the wording should be changed to merely say that year end numbers will be compiled and reported with no requirement of further action.
Are many lightly used forums such as this one in the strategic vision? How low does the activity have to be before it falls outside the strategic vision?
Disappointing.
It's sort of ironic actually, since from a Miles+Points "intellectual" angle Gaming Loyalty Programs are some of the most interesting.

- fix based earning and redemptions (of points)
- bonus levels
- elite tiers
- status matches to other programs
- elite tier achievement levels
- discretionary awards
- challenges to earn more points or tiers
- bonuses for those who spend more (points for purchases and spend as well as gaming)
- credit card partners and promotions (for points, bonuses and elite tiers)
- partners with other award programs (i.e. earn Total Rewards Points with Caesars Entertainment and spend on SPG Starwood hotel stays and vice-versa)

Not sure you could find a category of awards programs that are MORE oriented towards the earning and spending of points.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I don't even understand the motivation behind demands to close "underutilized" forums. Is the internet too crowded? We're running out of room? I don't think so!

I agree that essentially abandoned forums might as well be closed. But forums meeting the well-defined needs of a niche group should continue to do that. What's the counter-argument?

Bruce
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:10 am

You sure seem to have a heck of a lot of opinion and interest vis-a-vis the Gaming Loyalty Forum.
That much is obvious though do not quite get how you equate interest and opinions with hatred. My long held opinion is that TB should examine closing lightly used forums regardless of topic and so when a TB member solicits input I offer mine.

Not sure you could find a category of awards programs that are MORE oriented towards the earning and spending of points.
Given that hype you'd think more members would be using it but that's not the reality.

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I don't even understand the motivation behind demands to close "underutilized" forums. Is the internet too crowded?
At the rate at which TB mints new forums the internet won't be but FT just might. How is having hundreds of forums many that are lightly used beneficial to FT in the long run? Members can't navigate easily now so an Information Desk was created so how much is too much?

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 29, 2015 at 7:53 am
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:07 am

Given that hype you'd think more members would be using it but that's not the reality.
The reality is that the posts pretty much deal with the loyalty programs, tiers and questions relating to such. There is very little fluff. Heck, it would be super easy to post many "news-worthy" loyalty stories (Caesars Entertainment news could generate 10+ new threads a week....). But, I sort of think that's what makes the forum nice.

Personally, I peak in a few times a week. When I have something to contribute, I contribute. This is the same way I operate in the Delta forum, or anywhere else on FlyerTalk. I do not post just to "hear my own voice," if I do not have something "real" to contribute I stay quiet. (exception : Delta Lounge)

If you are looking for some targeted details about a Gaming Loyalty Program, it is "basically" there with very little "filler."

Like I mentioned before, it makes no difference to me if you close the board or not. I you want to develop metrics that automatically close forums due to lack of activity.. go for it....

I know for a fact there has been some quality and thoughtful commentary in that forum. Is there a lot. No. Is it a huge success. No. Does it have a direct relation to loyalty programs and Miles+Points? Yes.

I still stand by my assertion that the Gaming Loyalty Forum is a lot more relative to the "purpose" of FlyerTalk than a lot of other forums.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:23 am

I still stand by my assertion that the Gaming Loyalty Forum is a lot more relative to the "purpose" of FlyerTalk than a lot of other forums.
That's not something upon which we disagree as I also feel the same however that shouldn't mean it escapes scrutiny for low traffic simply because it's points & miles related. I'll leave it at that however and we can agree to disagree.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
What about, instead of having a forum for gaming loyalty programs, having one for gaming vacations in general? I would not be surprised if some people simply weren't looking in the forum because they were thinking "Nah, no interest in those programs...I just want to have a gaming vacation and call it a day."
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
What about, instead of having a forum for gaming loyalty programs, having one for gaming vacations in general? I would not be surprised if some people simply weren't looking in the forum because they were thinking "Nah, no interest in those programs...I just want to have a gaming vacation and call it a day."
My only issue with that is that gaming vacations sound like something of a local forum type thread. Anything about Las Vegas gaming should go into the Las Vegas forum for instance. Also, there's already a thread that's sort of on topic about that in the Gaming Loyalty Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/gamin...tinations.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.