Reload this Page >

Should there be a 'hired car/driver' forum on FlyerTalk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should there be a 'hired car/driver' forum on FlyerTalk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The creation of new forums in recent years on the promise of build it and they will come is commendable but unfortunately some of these new forums have just redirected existing traffic without inspiring new growth. The budget airline forums arguably created confusion to some members because of the blurred boundaries of the LCC realm, fragmented discussion. I think it is important to consider the implications on existing forums before proposing new ones.

Frankly, strategic discussion of Über would probably fit within single thread in Travel Tools or TravelBuzz. Discussion relating to surge pricing, vehicle types, customer services et al are all subject to local variation so in my considered view remain best served in the existing Destination forums.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:07 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Prospero
Frankly, strategic discussion of Über would probably fit within single thread in Travel Tools or TravelBuzz. Discussion relating to surge pricing, vehicle types, customer services et al are all subject to local variation so in my considered view remain best served in the existing Destination forums.
I might have been inclined to agree with you, Prospero — but...
Originally Posted by kokonutz
This question rose out of the Great Rental Car Forum Reformation Act of 2015.

Should there be a forum on FT dedicated to lyft, uber, limo services, airport cars, etc?
...I decided to research exactly where that discussion began and who initiated it — and lo and behold, it was initiated by one of the moderators of the TravelBuzz forum:
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Finally, we are seeing many more threads in TravelBuzz on hired-driver automobile transportation services: taxis, app-based services (Lyft, Sidecar, Uber, etc.) and limos. I'd like to suggest that this whole area of hired-driver services may now deserve its own space on FlyerTalk, with forum divisions as might be apt.
Now, I am not suggesting that what he posted should automatically be taken as though it were carved in stone; but perhaps he provides an equally compelling argument as to why a new forum should be created.

I am reading the thoughts of everyone who posted and taking everything into consideration while I continue to view this proposal objectively, as I always do...
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:34 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by nsx
My current preference is a parent forum for all Single Trip Ride Services: buses, taxis, limos, camels, whatever. One subforum for Uber, one for Lyft. All other companies can ride along with the camels.
I could get behind this...but I think it would be prudent to start with just one forum and put all Single Trip Ride Services in the same forum. If a need arises for Uber and/or Lyft subforums based on posting patterns after the forum is created then create them.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Thank you from me as well.

I agree that only one new forum should potentially be created; and at the very worst, if at any time in the future any of the specific service providers becomes popular, we can always propose to vote on whether or not that specific service provider should be split off into its own forum or sub-forum.

I am still uncertain as to exactly what the name of this new forum should be called — otherwise, I am in favor of creating a new forum at this point based on the feedback posted in this discussion.
I agree. Also when you look at the #s above, while there aren't hundreds of posts in some of the threads there are thousands of views. That certainly indicates interest in the topic. I think the single forum is the best idea for now.

I think CMK10's slight update on nsx's title Ride Services (Uber, Lyft, etc) is a good idea (and would come up in a google search.

And a big thank you to scottpenderson for some of the stats. I know it will help TB members when they're considering the creation of the forum.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I might have been inclined to agree with you, Prospero — but......I decided to research exactly where that discussion began and who initiated it — and lo and behold, it was initiated by one of the moderators of the TravelBuzz forum. Now, I am not suggesting that what he posted should automatically be taken as though it were carved in stone; but perhaps he provides an equally compelling argument as to why a new forum should be created.
Well Prospero did also mention Travel Tools forum so why not consider hosting shared ride service discussions in that venue?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Well Prospero did also mention Travel Tools forum so why not consider hosting shared ride service discussions in that venue?
Can't speak for others but it would never occur to me to look for shared ride threads in Travel Tools (which deals primarily with things like KVS etc).

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Can't speak for others but it would never occur to me to look for shared ride threads in Travel Tools (which deals primarily with things like KVS etc).
Well it could always be re-titled Travel Tools & Ride Services (Uber, Lyft etc.). Uber calls itself a technology company rather than a transportation firm, or at least did in this article, so is in essence a travel tool. Why not expand the scope of an existing forum rather than create a whole new one?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:31 am

Why not expand the scope of an existing forum rather than create a whole new one?
Common sense. Most folk don't think of shared ride as travel tools & would probably be confused to go to a forum that deals with ITA, KVS, threads to try & find Uber, Lyft, etc.

BTW - the article you linked to also said that some gov'ts aren't buying into the technology tool argument.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Well it could always be re-titled Travel Tools & Ride Services (Uber, Lyft etc.). Uber calls itself a technology company rather than a transportation firm, or at least did in this article, so is in essence a travel tool. Why not expand the scope of an existing forum rather than create a whole new one?
Sure they say that. But it's a load of horsecrap. They are a transportation enabler. @:-)
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Common sense. Most folk don't think of shared ride as travel tools & would probably be confused to go to a forum that deals with ITA, KVS, threads to try & find Uber, Lyft, etc.
There is more to that forum than just ITA & KVS as there a lots of apps for everything from hotel awards to travel maps and something called cardwatchdog so a ride sharing app isn't that big of a stretch.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:00 pm

Here is a google sheet with all posts that have "lyft" and "uber" in the thread title. The tabs are sorted by last post and by total replies for each car service.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I'm on the fence as to whether or not a dedicated forum is needed. Looking at the Uber threads, it seems that people are pretty comfortable posting in the Destinations forums when looking for info on Uber in a specific geographic area. I wonder if having a dedicated forum would lead to confusion as to the most appropriate place to start a thread ("Ride Services" vs "Destinations"). On the other hand, having a dedicated forum on the front page list might help those less familiar with the forums find info on ride sharing. Having a dedicated forum may also lead to better answers since those with ride sharing knowledge can share their info in one place.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottpenderson
Here is a google sheet with all posts that have "lyft" and "uber" in the thread title. The tabs are sorted by last post and by total replies for each car service.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I'm on the fence as to whether or not a dedicated forum is needed. Looking at the Uber threads, it seems that people are pretty comfortable posting in the Destinations forums when looking for info on Uber in a specific geographic area. I wonder if having a dedicated forum would lead to confusion as to the most appropriate place to start a thread ("Ride Services" vs "Destinations"). On the other hand, having a dedicated forum on the front page list might help those less familiar with the forums find info on ride sharing. Having a dedicated forum may also lead to better answers since those with ride sharing knowledge can share their info in one place.
The fundamental question is 'who will 'hang out' in a Ride Services forum?'

Because the one thing every successful forum needs is people around to answer questions. People do naturally hang out in certain destination forums whether they have something to say about Uber in that destination or not.

Will people be hanging out in a Ride Services forum answering people's questions?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:28 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Will people be hanging out in a Ride Services forum answering people's questions?
There will be people hanging out who detest ride services because they compete somewhat unfairly with cartel taxis. I can foresee less than useful responses from those people. OTOH their very presence will attract proponents, making for some potentially acerbic debate mixed with useful answers. This won't be the easiest forum to moderate but I think it's needed.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
There are a bunch of different services being talked about as possible inclusions in this forum. Some I see potential for, others I see as ineffective. Standard limousine and car hire services threads should be posted in the appropriate destination forum. These companies are generally city or region specific. As a reader of Flyertalk, I would find it frustrating to have to go yet another forum just to find out about a mini-cab company in London or a black car service in New York, beyond the destination forum I am already using for other info about that destination, especially as I can see no benefit created by clustering them together. I am unlikely to find value comparing black taxi service in London wilth Blue Bird Group in Jakarta.

For national/global ride-share services, I can see more potential upside to a dedicated forum. It really depends on how independent the character and culture of Uber is in San Francisco from New York. If Uber does national promotions or there are regular changes in the app which apply nationally, then it makes sense. However, if all promotions are local in nature, it really doesn't make that much sense. If I am traveling to New York, I don't care that Uber is great or horrible in San Francisco, I care about what it's like in New York, although even here, I can accept the idea that comparisons between Uber in New York and San Francisco might be useful.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just an update for everyone, we've started a thread in the private forum on this issue. Please keep your comments and suggestions coming, they are all being considered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.