Should there be a 'hired car/driver' forum on FlyerTalk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should there be a 'hired car/driver' forum on FlyerTalk

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"other transportation" - uberx(etc), limo(etc), train, general/charter aviation, boat charter
(trains can be public, private, hotel) (public transportation also includes many other things)

i think there is a lot of demand on FT when considering ALL forms of transport not covered by a current forum, and there is a lot of discussion of those things in existing forums including destination forums, but im not sure what a good name for a potential forum would be, nor am i sure how to describe other than listing the above and anything else that is similar that i forgot

edit - although something along the lines of "transport other than commercial air and rental car" (exclude rather than include) might work ?

uberx(etc) are also popular in terms of social media, so there is some overlap there with some bloggers
uberx(etc) mainly discussed in terms of low price, which overlaps with existing budget forum
budget forum description currently includes "bus and train transport"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 18, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
"other transportation" - uberx(etc), limo(etc), train, general/charter aviation, boat charter
(trains can be public, private, hotel) (public transportation also includes many other things)

i think there is a lot of demand on FT when considering ALL forms of transport not covered by a current forum, and there is a lot of discussion of those things in existing forums including destination forums, but im not sure what a good name for a potential forum would be, nor am i sure how to describe other than listing the above and anything else that is similar that i forgot

edit - although something along the lines of "transport other than commercial air and rental car" (exclude rather than include) might work ?

uberx(etc) are also popular in terms of social media, so there is some overlap there with some bloggers
uberx(etc) mainly discussed in terms of low price, which overlaps with existing budget forum
budget forum description currently includes "bus and train transport"
Note that FT already has an Amtrak forum (listed after airlines, hotels, etc.) as well as a sub forum dedicated to Eruopean trains in the Europe destination forum. Calling a new forum something like "transportation excluding commercial airlines and rental cars" would confuse things, unless you mean to eliminate the current dedicated (sub)fora for Amtrak and European trains. I think that would be a bad idea.

Don't forget ferries, hydrofoils, barges, houseboats, peddle cabs, skateboards, unicycles, tricycles, alpine and nordic skis, roller-skates, rollerblades, covered wagons, snowshoes, sip lines, bungee cords, horses, donkeys, mules, camels, elephants, dogsleds,......
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Amtrak forum (listed after airlines, hotels, e
sub forum dedicated to Eruopean trains in the Europe destination forum
my point re hire/charter (vehicles) discussion remains even ignoring public transport

there was recently discussion in one forum whether to allow discussion of some hire/charter

(this includes aircraft, and cheapest short charters are a lot less than paid longhaul F)
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:29 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Here's something that hadn't dawned on me before - how do people feel about having non-location-specific hired car/driver discussion in the Budget Travel forum for the time being, then if there is enough demand produced there, create a dedicated forum for it?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by lo2e
Here's something that hadn't dawned on me before - how do people feel about having non-location-specific hired car/driver discussion in the Budget Travel forum for the time being, then if there is enough demand produced there, create a dedicated forum for it?
I think that's an excellent idea. A test drive, so to speak.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
This is precisely what I envisioned for the near-term, except NOT specifically in the Budget Travel forum.

My mistake for not reading that detail carefully.

Last edited by dchristiva; Mar 20, 2015 at 2:04 pm
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...how do people feel about having non-location-specific hired car/driver discussion in the Budget Travel forum...
I think it is a mistake to categorize these services as budget. They are driven by technology and marketed as much for convenience as for cost savings. There will be many more players as legacy taxi and limo companies adopt similar technologies.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:11 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by mia
I think it is a mistake to categorize these services as budget. They are driven by technology and marketed as much for convenience as for cost savings. There will be many more players as legacy taxi and limo companies adopt similar technologies.
I agree, as I have never thought of Uber or Lyft or others as “budget.”

In fact, there have been times where using them was a more expensive transportation option than using a legacy taxi cab.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

If I were to seek information on Uber, Lyft, Addison Lee, Halo or Bob’s Private Hire Inc. I’d intuitively visit the respective destination forum in the first instance, just as I would whenever i’m looking for info on other ground transportation options.

My concern with carving Uber et al into a single forum is it may cause unintended "where do I post?" confusion and ultimately fragmentation. My experience with Uber is the service varies significantly between cities of operation. For example, if I were to share my Shanghai Uber experience, China would be my go-to forum simply because I know that is exactly were the local knowledge base resides.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Prospero
If I were to seek information on Uber, Lyft, Addison Lee, Halo or Bob’s Private Hire Inc. I’d intuitively visit the respective destination forum in the first instance, just as I would whenever i’m looking for info on other ground transportation options.

My concern with carving Uber et al into a single forum is it may cause unintended "where do I post?" confusion and ultimately fragmentation. My experience with Uber is the service varies significantly between cities of operation. For example, if I were to share my Shanghai Uber experience, China would be my go-to forum simply because I know that is exactly were the local knowledge base resides.
This is the crux of the issue with discussing ride services on FT. Do others here agree with Prospero's analysis?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:29 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Hmm, this is a interesting thought. I wouldn't mind seeing a hired car/driver forum. There are plenty out there (in addition to Uber and Lyft) like MyDriver and BlackLane
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
I think the proper term is "ride-sharing services." I agree, Uber, et al do not fall into the "budget travel" category.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by nsx
This is the crux of the issue with discussing ride services on FT. Do others here agree with Prospero's analysis?
I do not. The Delta forum is filled with location and route-specific posts. Example: if someone wants to know about connecting times at ATL or LAX they post that in the Delta forum.

Why not a Ride Sharing or Car Hire forum with subs for the different brands? Uber, Lyft, etc...

I go tho the Delta forum to get info about Delta's policies, practices, etc... When I used Silver recently to fly from MCO to YWE I went to the United forum to learn about everyone's experiences with Silver.

I do not know how many people use Uber daily, but I am thinking they serve more people on a daily basis that many airlines.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by captiveguru
I do not. The Delta forum is filled with location and route-specific posts. Example: if someone wants to know about connecting times at ATL or LAX they post that in the Delta forum.

Why not a Ride Sharing or Car Hire forum with subs for the different brands? Uber, Lyft, etc...

I go tho the Delta forum to get info about Delta's policies, practices, etc... When I used Silver recently to fly from MCO to YWE I went to the United forum to learn about everyone's experiences with Silver.

I do not know how many people use Uber daily, but I am thinking they serve more people on a daily basis that many airlines.
The number of Uber vehicles in New York City now exceeds the number of Yellow cabs. Given some locations don't seem to have any, some might advocate they (both) should remain in the NYC Forum.

In the U.K., we often use "mini-taxis" in preference to "black" for price and convenience. There are so many fl's ours of hired cars I wonder how they could fit in one forum, from limos to tuk-tuks. Then, of course, there are hired boats, from Venice to Bangkok. What of those?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
The number of Uber vehicles in New York City now exceeds the number of Yellow cabs. Given some locations don't seem to have any, some might advocate they (both) should remain in the NYC Forum.
True, Uber is not everywhere, but that is an argument for Uber having its own forum. If I go to a location-specific forum and ask an Uber question no one there will have any experience. If I post a question in the Uber forum I am more likely to get the attention of another Uber user who used Uber in that local.

Delta does not fly to all cities, yet it has its own forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.