Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended - Motion Failed: "Formalizing a Friendly Amendment process"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:02 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kipper
I don't have you on ignore. I just don't understand why you insist that MSP must answer how she would vote when you can simply just make the motion and have it seconded and vote again. Seems to be less angst to just to that.

Because the vote very well might end up being 5-3 again 2 weeks from now. @:-)
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:36 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
At the end of the date, each of the nine members of TB have an equal vote... three people voted "NO"; any one of them could have voted "YES" and this would be a non issue... or one of the five could have voted "NO" then the final non-cast vote would be irrelevant.

At the end of the day, the vote failed. It failed because three people voted no and one person did not vote. So, there are four people to blame for the vote failure. It is unfair to blame one person who did not vote.

If I were the non-voter, I might not want to say how I would vote right now based on the "attacks" that have happened here. One way to find out is to place the motion up for vote again; stop talking about a "wasted two weeks" and just vote already... or let it go.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wharvey
At the end of the day, the vote failed. It failed because three people voted no and one person did not vote. So, there are four people to blame for the vote failure. It is unfair to blame one person who did not vote.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. The people who voted no did so based on research and their conscience. The person who didn't vote fell asleep and acted in violation of TalkBoard procedures. The people who voted properly who did their job are not on the same level as the person who failed at their job.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
let it go.
That's my counsel as for something not absolutely hypercritical to the working of TB this matter has received a disproportionate amount of attention. Move on.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. The people who voted no did so based on research and their conscience. The person who didn't vote fell asleep and acted in violation of TalkBoard procedures. The people who voted properly who did their job are not on the same level as the person who failed at their job.
Agreed ^
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:43 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Simple and direct question: What Talkboard procedure did this person violate? As I understand it, choosing to NOT vote is not an issue unless three consecutives votes are missed.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Simple and direct question: What Talkboard procedure did this person violate? As I understand it, choosing to NOT vote is not an issue unless three consecutives votes are missed.
Moreover, a TB member can choose not to vote as many times as he/she wishes if he posts a notification in advance.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dovster
Moreover, a TB member can choose not to vote as many times as he/she wishes if he posts a notification in advance.
Which didn't happen

iii. It is each TalkBoard members’ responsibility to check the TalkBoard forum often enough that they do not inadvertently miss a vote.
That seems to imply it's not acceptable to inadvertently miss a vote.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Simple and direct question: What Talkboard procedure did this person violate? As I understand it, choosing to NOT vote is not an issue unless three consecutive votes are missed.
OK, then we have one-third of an issue.

MSPeconomist herself recognizes that missing the vote was a problem. Otherwise, why would she have apologized? We can probably drop the debate over whether that was all right!

I'm ready to walk away from this matter entirely. The horse has been beaten well beyond death. It's no longer recognizable as a horse.

Bruce
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:01 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
The issue of the "non-vote" is getting mixed up and thrown/blown all out of proportion.....

It's really very simple-
  1. A TB member votes "yes"
  2. A TB member votes "no"
  3. A TB member "abstains"
  4. A TB member doesn't vote because they (for whatever reason) missed the voting deadline
  5. A TB member doesn't vote because they didn't want to vote
---
  1. Acceptable
  2. Acceptable
  3. Acceptable-tho there should be a reason given (i.e. some sort of conflict of interest) and the reason should be made public
  4. Not acceptable
  5. Not acceptable
---
What happened was item #4 and imho, if the member wants to explain how they would have voted had they in fact voted, that's up to them but if not, again imho, it should be left at that and it's time to move on either by TB re-submitting the motion if they believe they will have enough votes for the motion to pass of let it die
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:04 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bdschobel
The horse has been beaten well beyond death. It's no longer recognizable as a horse.
Bruce
It's the tail end of the horse.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by goalie
...if the member wants to explain how they would have voted had they in fact voted, that's up to them but if not, again imho, it should be left at that and it's time to move on either by TB re-submitting the motion if they believe they will have enough votes for the motion to pass or let it die
It died a few days ago. We're beating the corpse.
Originally Posted by nsx
It's the tail end of the horse.
Better yet!

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.