Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Close the Information desk forum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Perhaps usAir or a TB member can PM the mods of the ID forum w/ a link to his post. There are suggestions they may wish to consider.

Cheers.
I will do that--I read one of the mods' posts on the suggestion box forum to mean that we should also make suggestions over here.

Originally Posted by jackal
I think the point wasn't that the Info Desk should host all conversation locally, it was that the Info Desk thread should primarily consist of responses that direct the poster where they can best find the answer to their question, after which the thread is closed/locked and the poster can proceed with asking their question in the correct forum.

I envision it like this:

Newbie: What is United's lost and found policy?
FT Member #1: The United forum has some discussion on this topic; you might want to search there.
FT Member #2: Check out this thread and post there if your question is not answered.
Moderator: Since folks have successfully directed the OP to the right resource to get his/her question answered, we'll go ahead and close this thread. Any additional questions can be asked in the forums/threads mentioned above.

That would actually make the Information Desk work out more like a real airport information desk than it is currently.

The problem is, I don't think all of the responses will be like the ones I made up above. You're going to get a lot of FlyerTalk members actually answering the question rather than simply directing the OP where to get his/her question answered, and now we're back to the conundrum of whether to host that in the Info Desk or just move it to the appropriate forum, and if we do the latter, then that's pretty much what we're already doing.

That said, I have long had a small bit of worry about the confusion that ensues for newbies whose posts have been moved, so making the standard procedure something that avoids that is something I'm definitely interested in exploring. (And unless we triple the number of mods in the Info Desk forum, it's not really feasible to PM the OP every single time we move a thread.)
This is exactly what I was proposing--thank you for clarifying it for me.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I guess I'm not getting the angst over the "my post was moved" thing. Unless a moderator moves a post with no-redirect, there is still a link in exactly the same forum where op posted it.
It does however steadily drop down the page. If a thread is left in a forum, then subsequent posts will keep it closer to the top of the page.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mommafrica
Respectfully, I would like to know the purpose of this forum? If I can't find where the "airline and car rental promo and codes" why would I come here for you to send me back to the same car rental forum where some advanced nuts don't want to answer you and if they do its disrespectful meaning that when you defend yourself on here you will be blocked off of here b/c one of their long-time moderator friends and others see it their way even though they know that their wrong. Absolutely ridiculous.
The purpose of this forum is plainly set out. It is not a meta forum for anyone who doesn't like the answers they got in any other forum. To some extent, all fora provide "information." This forum is for questions that (a) cut across multiple other fora, or (b) posters don't know where to post. If there is an appropriate place for a (b) post, it may be moved there.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And what would you rename it to if you were going to rename it?

Cheers.
Hmm. "travelers Aid" seems to already be taken!

Originally Posted by mommafrica
Respectfully, I would like to know the purpose of this forum? If I can't find where the "airline and car rental promo and codes" why would I come here for you to send me back to the same car rental forum where some advanced nuts don't want to answer you and if they do its disrespectful meaning that when you defend yourself on here you will be blocked off of here b/c one of their long-time moderator friends and others see it their way even though they know that their wrong. Absolutely ridiculous.
That's not how it appears to be working.

What does appear to be working is new members who perhaps feel intimidated by FT come and post. They often get a welcome, some assistance about their issue. If their thread eventually gets moved, they have an idea of what they're looking for because they've often enough been provided with a link and preliminary information. Now they've been "launched" on FlyerTalk.

And the rest of what you allege FT is about and tolerates doesn't even dignify a response, IMO. If you have specific complaints and instances to report, you can try the forum Moderators, the Senior Moderators or the Community Director. She will handle it or refer to the Moderator Peer Review Committee. This is not the place.

On topic, I make it a point to drop by the Information Desk every day or two to welcome some new members, share some information I've learnt from my experiences or others, and include links to resources.

I welcome you - and everyone - to do the same.

(excerpted from the Rules)

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.
and

About Us

FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information. An interactive community dedicated to your favorite topic: travel! That's right: all travel, all the time. The FlyerTalk forums are open for business 24 hours, 7 days a week. Even better, all travelers -- from vacation travelers to mileage junkies -- are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum and you can get to the business at hand: conversing about programs, how to make the most of your miles and points, general travel, airports, destination and dining information.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:38 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222
... or (b) posters don't know where to post. If there is an appropriate place for a (b) post, it may be moved there.
Thank goodness.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Hmm. "travelers Aid" seems to already be taken!

That's not how it appears to be working.

What does appear to be working is new members who perhaps feel intimidated by FT come and post. They often get a welcome, some assistance about their issue. If their thread eventually gets moved, they have an idea of what they're looking for because they've often enough been provided with a link and preliminary information. Now they've been "launched" on FlyerTalk.

And the rest of what you allege FT is about and tolerates doesn't even dignify a response, IMO. If you have specific complaints and instances to report, you can try the forum Moderators, the Senior Moderators or the Community Director. She will handle it or refer to the Moderator Peer Review Committee. This is not the place.

On topic, I make it a point to drop by the Information Desk every day or two to welcome some new members, share some information I've learnt from my experiences or others, and include links to resources.

I welcome you - and everyone - to do the same.

and
What is the Moderator Peer Review Committee? What does it do? Who are the members? How re they selected?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:04 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What is the Moderator Peer Review Committee? What does it do? Who are the members? How re they selected?
It is a team of mods whom I highly respect and have hand picked who help me assess mod performance when I need additional perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.