Suggestions for TalkBoard voting process - announcements and stand-down period

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for TalkBoard voting process - announcements and stand-down period

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Very good ideas!!! Thank you.

Bruce
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Does it really matter? Does anyone (except a few TB wonks ) really care about TB or know what it is? TB members claim to represent the members, but so few members are engaged with TB these days, that the only views which are garnered from from a small core of interested members who are in no way representative of the current experience of FT members.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Does it really matter? Does anyone (except a few TB wonks ) really care about TB or know what it is? TB members claim to represent the members, but so few members are engaged with TB these days, that the only views which are garnered from from a small core of interested members who are in no way representative of the current experience of FT members.
Can you elaborate? My observation is that the folks who chime in on this and other topics seem pretty connected with FT AND TB (or representatives). How do you think your current experience may differ from others' FT experience?

I ask this in all seriousness, as I would like to understand if I am misinterpreting the feedback TB is getting on this and other issues.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

Wouldn't it be better to tie the voting to when the sitewide announcement is made? This ensures that FTers in general have an opportunity to input without relying on them reading this forum. Then a shorter stand-down period could be used, say 24 hours after the sitewide announcement is posted. Heck the announcement could even include the end time for the stand down as a prompt for interested people to quickly make their opinions known by posting in the thread in this forum.
That's what this proposal does.

Currently the rules say that when a motion is made and seconded a vote is opened in the private TB forum THEN the VP asks Carol to do a site-wide announcement.

This proposal says that a motion is made and seconded, then the VP asks Carol to put up a site-wide announcement. ONCE SHE DOES, (after a potential period of time...48 hours in this proposal) THEN a vote is opened in the private TB forum.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by dchristiva
My observation is that the folks who chime in on this and other topics seem pretty connected with FT AND TB (or representatives).
That however does not necessarily mean those opinions reflect the majority of FTers as was seen to some degree most recently in the creation of the Premium Fare Deals forum and subsequent thread asking for it to be closed. That's why it's well worth at least trying to encourage opinions from beyond this forum from all members regardless of whether many or few actually may avail themselves of the opportunity.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tcook052
That however does not necessarily mean those opinions reflect the majority of FTers as was seen to some degree most recently in the creation of the Premium Fare Deals forum and subsequent thread asking for it to be closed. That's why it's well worth at least trying to encourage opinions from beyond this forum from all members regardless of whether many or few actually may avail themselves of the opportunity.
It should be noted that the input post the premium fares forum being created was not all negative, which you seem to be implying. There were/are as many people supportive as against.

And in that thread one of the people posting said he had never noticed a sitewide announcement, even though there were 48 of them during my 4-year tenure, and another said he noticed them but didn't come to TB because he didn't really care about the other ones. That's probably not going to change no matter what TB does.

koko's proposal is a good compromise between current method & going overboard in a response to the premium fares forum. Hopefully he'll make it a formal motion/get a second soon, although he may decide to wait until after the holidays since FTers/TB members will be traveling.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It should be noted that the input post the premium fares forum being created was not all negative, which you seem to be implying. There were/are as many people supportive as against.
Yes but it was more even than in the original forum creation debate and my point to the TB member was simply not to rely too heavily on the small sample size of members who post in the TB Topic forum as they may not always match those of the wider membership.

And in that thread one of the people posting said he had never noticed a sitewide announcement, even though there were 48 of them during my 4-year tenure, and another said he noticed them but didn't come to TB because he didn't really care about the other ones. That's probably not going to change no matter what TB does.
it's well worth at least trying to encourage opinions from beyond this forum from all members regardless of whether many or few actually may avail themselves of the opportunity.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
'Snap' voting has happened 3 of 4 total motions this year so it definitely has happened though that's no guarantee the trend would be repeated going forward. It is however enough of a concern that these policy proposals are being discussed in this thread.
I don't share that concern. My observation is that the majority of TB members (if not all) take their time with the matters at hand. In fact, even if one or two are guilty of "snap" voting, that shouldn't move the needle.

I said it was my observation. No need to be snarky. I never said it wasn't worth trying to encourage opinions from beyond this forum, but, I have to say, if folks don't post their opinions here, it can be difficult to figure out what FT members really want. How do you suggest we solve for that?

Again, I ask in all seriousness. I could wait a day, a week, or a month, but if folks don't present their feelings, it's not like I can go out and solicit opinions at the local firehouse.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
While better than the current situation there may be little or no input from FTers other than those who frequent this forum, depending on how long it takes for sitewide announcement to be posted.

Wouldn't it be better to tie the voting to when the sitewide announcement is made? This ensures that FTers in general have an opportunity to input without relying on them reading this forum. Then a shorter stand-down period could be used, say 24 hours after the sitewide announcement is posted. Heck the announcement could even include the end time for the stand down as a prompt for interested people to quickly make their opinions known by posting in the thread in this forum.
We have also discussed in the private forum using communication vehicles such as the TalkMail newsletter as much as possible — tied in with a site-wide announcement — to get the word out in order to alert as many FlyerTalk members as possible and give them a chance to offer input on issues being considered by the TalkBoard.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:15 pm

No need to be snarky.
I wasn't so no need to get defensive.

I never said it wasn't worth trying to encourage opinions from beyond this forum, but, I have to say, if folks don't post their opinions here, it can be difficult to figure out what FT members really want. How do you suggest we solve for that?
Well ensuring site-wide announcements are placed is a start and this wasn't done at least once this year. There are other ways however TB could try to reach more members to make them aware of both the TB and current motions and Canarsie has suggested some.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't so no need to get defensive.
Awfully hard to tell on an IBB.

Nevertheless, I'll try to take folks' opinions into account, but I think there are enough safety measures in place that snap judgments shouldn't change the course of FT history.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
In my view, a "snap judgment" by TalkBoard is practically impossible. By the time an issue reaches the motion stage, let alone voting, months or even years of discussion have already transpired. We should not pretend that discussion begins only after a site-wide announcement has been made -- and nothing at all happened before then. That's ridiculous.

Bruce
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by kokonutz
That's what this proposal does.

Currently the rules say that when a motion is made and seconded a vote is opened in the private TB forum THEN the VP asks Carol to do a site-wide announcement.

This proposal says that a motion is made and seconded, then the VP asks Carol to put up a site-wide announcement. ONCE SHE DOES, (after a potential period of time...48 hours in this proposal) THEN a vote is opened in the private TB forum.
Perhaps I misinterpreted the draft. I read it as saying voting is at least 48 hours after a request is made to have a site-wide announcement. If the intent is that it is 48 hours after a site-wide announcement is posted then this could be worded clearer and more explicit.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:30 am

Awfully hard to tell on an IBB.
No it really isn't but if you should feel it is report it to a forum moderator. Members who voice their concerns to TB don't IMHO deserve to be told their input is snark.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
using communication vehicles such as the TalkMail newsletter as much as possible
I wonder how many of us delete this spam as soon as it hits our inboxes?

I think using sitewide announcements is sufficient.

I'd like to see a delay of at least 3 days after the proposal is made and before voting starts. Rarely is there a need to rush into any decision here, because we aren't discussing things that truly matter in the grand scope of things.

Hard to find a good balance though. If you leave it open too long, you'll see the same arguments getting hashed out over and over in the discussion thread, with lots of words being typed, but no productive discussion actually happening. We already have OMNI:PR for posts like that The back and forth bickering by a couple of people that clearly will not be changing their minds will get in the way of other users trying to voice their opinions or get their questions answered. We'd need the forum mods to step in and make sure these types of discussions don't dominate a given thread (i.e. more actively police the threads related to current votes, vs. waiting for RBP alerts).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.