Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for TalkBoard voting process - announcements and stand-down period

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think 72 hours would be better. To expect a bunch of people who travel a lot to respond within 48 hours doesn't seem to allow them much time to reflect before posting about proposed motions. We'd rather get carefully considered detailed feedback than quick instant reactions.
Three days seems like a long time to me...what if the President forgets by the time its time to post the poll!!!!?!?!?!?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Three days seems like a long time to me...what if the President forgets by the time its time to post the poll!!!!?!?!?!?
If both the President and Vice President "forget", I'm sure at least one of the other seven members of TB will remind them. I suspect that the person who put forward the motion won't forget, nor will the person who seconded (at least it if they weren't racing to second something just to get their name on a motion rather than because they were genuinely enthusiastic about the proposal).

Is there some old age or other condition that allows people to remember for two days but not three? <insert grinning smiley here>
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If both the President and Vice President "forget", I'm sure at least one of the other seven members of TB will remind them. I suspect that the person who put forward the motion won't forget, nor will the person who seconded (at least it if they weren't racing to second something just to get their name on a motion rather than because they were genuinely enthusiastic about the proposal).

Is there some old age or other condition that allows people to remember for two days but not three? <insert grinning smiley here>
Not really.

But some (like moi) have suggested that there be NO 'mandatory discussion period,' but rather that TB members use their own discretion in terms of how long to wait to vote so long as the site-wide announcement has been made before voting.

Others want 3 days.

I was trying to split the baby down the middle, erring toward the side of mandatory waiting.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Waiting for the announcement before voting seems reasonable to me. Waiting even longer does not.

It's worth noting -- again -- that most TalkBoard issues (nearly all, actually) have long histories and have been discussed at great length for months or even years. The notion that lots of new information is going to appear suddenly after the FT-wide announcement is wishful thinking.

It's also worth noting that, even in the context of this thread, not a single TalkBoard member has stated that he or she would have voted differently if voting had been delayed. That says something, too.

Bruce
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: HH Silver
So if there's no new information on most topics and nobody changes their mind why even go through the motions of soliciting member input through a site-wide announcement?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
So if there's no new information on most topics and nobody changes their mind why even go through the motions of soliciting member input through a site-wide announcement?
To repeat, this certainly isn't my approach or my attitude.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
It's not "going through the motions." It's recognizing that sufficient information may have been obtained already.

Bruce
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kipper
I know not everyone on TB feels or behaves that way. I do find it disturbing that some apparently feel they should vote ASAP, rather than taking time to consider opinions and issues that may be discussed once an announcement is made public.
I don't know how many times I have to say this: Nobody thinks this way. Our votes come only after there is both a public and a private discussion. In fact, almost every vote I've participated in I've voted the opposite of my first thoughts on the matter. And I was persuaded by people's posts in the forum.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
It's not "going through the motions." It's recognizing that sufficient information may have been obtained already.
Then we can happily disagree as inviting members to share their input via site-wide announcement when a majority decision could be reached within hours of said notice appearing is barely better than voting without any announcement at all. And yes, I know that 'snap voting' may not happen all the time however if nothing is done to try and prevent it definitely could occur again.

I like koko's amendments and hope TB adopts them as building in a 48 hour delay in start of TB balloting is not an overly lengthy delay to ensure the opportunity to provide feedback is extended beyond this forum.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 18, 2014 at 8:38 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Not really.

But some (like moi) have suggested that there be NO 'mandatory discussion period,' but rather that TB members use their own discretion in terms of how long to wait to vote so long as the site-wide announcement has been made before voting.

Others want 3 days.

I was trying to split the baby down the middle, erring toward the side of mandatory waiting.
I think the motion is a good compromise between current practice & overcompensating.

Originally Posted by bdschobel

Waiting for the announcement before voting seems reasonable to me. Waiting even longer does not.

It's worth noting -- again -- that most TalkBoard issues (nearly all, actually) have long histories and have been discussed at great length for months or even years. The notion that lots of new information is going to appear suddenly after the FT-wide announcement is wishful thinking.

It's also worth noting that, even in the context of this thread, not a single TalkBoard member has stated that he or she would have voted differently if voting had been delayed. That says something, too.

Bruce
I think koko's motion is a good compromise.

Sometimes sitewide announcements do bring new input by FTers, more so on hot button items (but then again, hot button issues don't normally get decided quickly), but often even with sitewide announcements not many come to TB to provide input on the motion being voted.

Heck, on the premium fare thread someone said they didn't notice any of the 48 sitewide announcements that had gone up previously so they didn't come to TB, and another said he noticed them but didn't really come over to TB because they weren't votes he cared about.

So while TB hopes that FTers will provide additional input & it's definitely appreciated, sometimes TB has to go with the input already provided in the threads that led up to the motion itself. Motions are never done in a vacuum.

And speaking only for myself, I thought then & still think creating the premium fares forum was the right thing to do, which is why I voted yes.

I like koko's amendments and hope TB adopts them as building in a 48 hour delay in start of TB balloting is not an overly lengthy delay to ensure the opportunity to provide feedback is extended beyond this forum.
I think it's a good compromise.

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:47 am

Jeez, when I first got on TB I was the REBEL! The BOMB THROWER! The INSURGENT!

Now I'm the compromiser.

Getting old sucks.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Jeez, when I first got on TB I was the REBEL! The BOMB THROWER! The INSURGENT!

Now I'm the compromiser.

Getting old sucks.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Then we can happily disagree as inviting members to share their input via site-wide announcement when a majority decision could be reached within hours of said notice appearing is barely better than voting without any announcement at all. And yes, I know that 'snap voting' may not happen all the time however if nothing is done to try and prevent it definitely could occur again.

Why are we trying to prevent something that folks have said does not happen? Speaking strictly for myself, I do not feel that I need any kind of "policing" on this front.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Why are we trying to prevent something that folks have said does not happen? Speaking strictly for myself, I do not feel that I need any kind of "policing" on this front.
'Snap' voting has happened 3 of 4 total motions this year so it definitely has happened though that's no guarantee the trend would be repeated going forward. It is however enough of a concern that these policy proposals are being discussed in this thread.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Thinking about making this motion today:

The TalkBoard recommends the following amendments to the TalkBoard Guidelines:

C. Voting Procedures
i. Once a motion has been made and seconded and all aspects of the Public Notice Procedures in Section D. below have been completed, not sooner than 48 hours later the President shall post a sticky poll thread in the TalkBoard forum calling the question and announcing the vote. The thread shall be titled "Vote: [summary of motion]". In the first post on the sticky poll thread the President shall post the maker and seconder of the motion as well as the voting deadline and then restate the motion that has been made and seconded.

and

D. Public Notice Procedures
i. Once a motion has been made and seconded put before TalkBoard for a vote the Vice President/Secretary shall post a new thread in the public TalkBoard Topics forum announcing the vote along with the voting end date as quickly as feasible. Once that thread is posted, the TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary will submit a request to the FlyerTalk Host or representative to create an site-wide announcement of the vote with a link to the discussion/voting thread in the TalkBoard Topics Forum. The Announcement will be available until either voting is completed and a decision is made or the voting period ends.
While better than the current situation there may be little or no input from FTers other than those who frequent this forum, depending on how long it takes for sitewide announcement to be posted.

Wouldn't it be better to tie the voting to when the sitewide announcement is made? This ensures that FTers in general have an opportunity to input without relying on them reading this forum. Then a shorter stand-down period could be used, say 24 hours after the sitewide announcement is posted. Heck the announcement could even include the end time for the stand down as a prompt for interested people to quickly make their opinions known by posting in the thread in this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.