Old Mar 11, 14, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus

Can we put a vote to the community as to whether we can display Avatars in our profiles that are displayed on the board please ?
Old Mar 11, 14, 4:12 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Please, no.
Old Mar 11, 14, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Please, no.
I second this. I found them distracting and annoying.
Old Mar 11, 14, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Can we put a vote to the community as to whether we can display Avatars in our profiles that are displayed on the board please ?
Ok I'm confused. What avatars do we have in our profiles that are displayed on the board? Serious question.

Cheers.
Old Mar 11, 14, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Ok I'm confused. What avatars do we have in our profiles that are displayed on the board? Serious question.

Cheers.
One can add an avatar (i.e. a small picture or photo*) to their profile via the desktop site but it only shows via the mobile app (or at least it does on the iPhone app for me)

*mine is my late cat Slapshot
Old Mar 11, 14, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
One can add an avatar (i.e. a small picture or photo*) to their profile via the desktop site but it only shows via the mobile app (or at least it does on the iPhone app for me)

When I look at your profile, I see a slightly bigger hockey picture on the upper left and the cat photo on the right.
Old Mar 11, 14, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by linsj View Post
I second this. I found them distracting and annoying.
Agreed. And the display has to slow things down. I know IB has used this as an excuse for not implementing useful features, time to use it for a valid reason
Old Mar 12, 14, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Well it's all arse about face then isn't it? It is going to be slower on a mobile device than it is on a lap/desktop methinks.
Old Mar 12, 14, 3:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
If you have a profile picture uploaded it could show beside your posts.

An example:

View Screen Capture

While the pretty Italian champion malamute (Oliver born in 2002) I use as my avatar is charming, I would hate to see it beside each of my 29000+ quality posts.
Old Mar 12, 14, 10:11 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Originally Posted by goalie View Post

When I look at your profile, I see a slightly bigger hockey picture on the upper left and the cat photo on the right.
That's what shows on my profile page on the desktop site but if you look at my posts on the mobile version (or at least via iPhone app), you'll see Slapshot the cat showing as my avatar
Old Mar 12, 14, 1:20 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Personally, I love to be able to place a face with a handle (guessing most would put a face pic). I think it also allows for some individuality to show.

I would support this.
Old Mar 12, 14, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been on bulletin boards that have it but I'm against it here. Flyertalk is somewhat of a minimalist design and I like it that way. It's looked pretty similar for the last decade and I think that's a lot of its charm. I think avatars would feel out of place here.
Old Mar 12, 14, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
Personally, I love to be able to place a face with a handle (guessing most would put a face pic). I think it also allows for some individuality to show.

I would support this.
Avatars also show on a members' friends lists and such.
Old Mar 13, 14, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
I don't have any issue with avatars that are faces, like mine on another site (LINK), but some folks on this other site use cartoon characters or other objects that look in poor taste. If we could limit it to actual photos I'd support it 100%, but I don't want to see avatars of animals or cartoon characters. Just see no value there.
Old Mar 13, 14, 2:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
If we could limit it to actual photos I'd support it 100%, but I don't want to see avatars of animals or cartoon characters.
Who says we're all humans??

Search this Thread