FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Avatars (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1559498-avatars.html)

Silver Fox Mar 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Can we put a vote to the community as to whether we can display Avatars in our profiles that are displayed on the board please ?

cblaisd Mar 11, 2014 4:12 pm

Please, no.

linsj Mar 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 22505882)
Please, no.

I second this. I found them distracting and annoying.

SkiAdcock Mar 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 22504513)
Can we put a vote to the community as to whether we can display Avatars in our profiles that are displayed on the board please ?

Ok I'm confused. What avatars do we have in our profiles that are displayed on the board? Serious question.

Cheers.

goalie Mar 11, 2014 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 22507099)

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Silver Fox

Ok I'm confused. What avatars do we have in our profiles that are displayed on the board? Serious question.

Cheers.

One can add an avatar (i.e. a small picture or photo*) to their profile via the desktop site but it only shows via the mobile app (or at least it does on the iPhone app for me)

*mine is my late cat Slapshot

MSPeconomist Mar 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 22507288)
One can add an avatar (i.e. a small picture or photo*) to their profile via the desktop site but it only shows via the mobile app (or at least it does on the iPhone app for me)

When I look at your profile, I see a slightly bigger hockey picture on the upper left and the cat photo on the right.

OverThereTooMuch Mar 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by linsj (Post 22506595)
I second this. I found them distracting and annoying.

Agreed. And the display has to slow things down. I know IB has used this as an excuse for not implementing useful features, time to use it for a valid reason :p

Silver Fox Mar 12, 2014 12:39 am

Well it's all arse about face then isn't it? It is going to be slower on a mobile device than it is on a lap/desktop methinks.

oliver2002 Mar 12, 2014 3:25 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 22507099)

If you have a profile picture uploaded it could show beside your posts.

An example:

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/671/0021662130.jpgView Screen Capture

While the pretty Italian champion malamute (Oliver born in 2002) I use as my avatar is charming, I would hate to see it beside each of my 29000+ quality posts. :eek:

goalie Mar 12, 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 22507400)

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 22507288)

When I look at your profile, I see a slightly bigger hockey picture on the upper left and the cat photo on the right.

That's what shows on my profile page on the desktop site but if you look at my posts on the mobile version (or at least via iPhone app), you'll see Slapshot the cat showing as my avatar

wharvey Mar 12, 2014 1:20 pm

Personally, I love to be able to place a face with a handle (guessing most would put a face pic). I think it also allows for some individuality to show.

I would support this.

CMK10 Mar 12, 2014 1:50 pm

I've been on bulletin boards that have it but I'm against it here. Flyertalk is somewhat of a minimalist design and I like it that way. It's looked pretty similar for the last decade and I think that's a lot of its charm. I think avatars would feel out of place here.

kipper Mar 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 22511367)
Personally, I love to be able to place a face with a handle (guessing most would put a face pic). I think it also allows for some individuality to show.

I would support this.

Avatars also show on a members' friends lists and such.

tom911 Mar 13, 2014 12:07 am

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 22511367)

I don't have any issue with avatars that are faces, like mine on another site (LINK), but some folks on this other site use cartoon characters or other objects that look in poor taste. If we could limit it to actual photos I'd support it 100%, but I don't want to see avatars of animals or cartoon characters. Just see no value there.

oliver2002 Mar 13, 2014 2:52 am

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 22514641)
If we could limit it to actual photos I'd support it 100%, but I don't want to see avatars of animals or cartoon characters.

Who says we're all humans??

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ternet_dog.jpg