Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Forum Member Affiliate Links Policy Reconsideration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forum Member Affiliate Links Policy Reconsideration?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Does FT have self-conflicting TOS?

Originally Posted by Beckles
... links to referrals I don't have a problem with as long as they are just a small part of an informative post and they are relevant to the post and the thread.
1). Does it mean as long as someone makes an informative post, s/he can then have a line/message here and there that violates the TOS, assuming self-benefiting referral links are not allowed in posts per FT TOS?

2). When I see someone may take advantage of a conga referral, I provide such info and point out the link to the existing conga thread in SPAM Forum. I don't give out my personal referral links in non-SPAM fora, because I want to help fellow FTers, not for personal gain. Also because I believe it's violating TOS to publicize one's referral links in non-conga threads on FT.

Originally Posted by Beckles
Here's one example from a random FT'er,
From a random FTer? Don't you mean yourself? I can tell someone who places such referral links in their posts tends to see no problem, otherwise they wouldn't have imbedded such links in their posts to start with.

Are you aware there's already an existing BigCrumbs conga thread on FT? I have to ask since I searched and didn't see you participate in this particular conga.

With due respect, I personally do have problem with such practice, and had clearly stated my reasoning back in 2011:

Originally Posted by lin821
First things first. I believe forum TOS shouldn't contradict with each other. Since conga and referrals are supposed to appear in SPAM Forum, this forum sticky specifies how to do conga in SPAM Forum:

Referral bonuses and conga lines

If you wish to start a new "conga" referral thread you MUST identify it as a "conga" and you MUST post a unique referral link. Please, when posting to a conga thread, use the person who posted his/her link last. Pure referrals ("You and I will each earn $xx if I refer you to this offer") are not allowed.
There are quite a few conga threads in SPAM Forum and some are more active than others. Here are 3 conga examples:

1. Big Crumbs Conga:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...bigcrumbs.html

2. Mr. Rebates Conga:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...-up-bonus.html

3. Cashbaq Conga:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...baq-conga.html

Occasionally, there are few FTers who'd cut in line and post their referral links without following the above guideline. SPAM MOD and forum frequent have no problem working together to get things back to order and remove such posts/links. (Thanks to SPAM MODs! )

What you may not be aware is there are some FTers who either have referral links for said websites in their signatures, or post their referral links in posts (with their signature) outside SPAM Forum. This type of posting behavior, without discussing the inconsistency of moderation in taking out (or not) this type of posts, essentially is breaking the existing congalines in SPAM Forum.

What bothers me most is the disrespect of TOS. I am not happy with condoning such behavior outside SPAM Forum either. Such referral links are for one's personal gain and nothing greater.
What site would have a self-conflicting TOS?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
There's currently a promo for La Quinta, and one of the ways to earn tokens for spins is to refer friends. There's a conga in S.P.A.M., yet there are two threads in the Other Hotels forum with referral links (at least 3 people have posted referral links). I think there needs to be a reconsideration of the policy.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by kipper
There's currently a promo for La Quinta, and one of the ways to earn tokens for spins is to refer friends. There's a conga in S.P.A.M., yet there are two threads in the Other Hotels forum with referral links (at least 3 people have posted referral links). I think there needs to be a reconsideration of the policy.
We would think the policy on no cross-posting (of the same topic/thread) should at least take effect among other things, wouldn't we?

So many policies, so many interpretations, and some little or no reinforcement. And the silence, so deafening. Sigh.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:46 pm

We would think the policy on no cross-posting (of the same topic/thread) should at least take effect among other things, wouldn't we?

So many policies, so many interpretations, and some little or no reinforcement. And the silence, so deafening. Sigh.
Silly us for thinking...
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think it's fair to ask what's happening with the TOS revision (which was supposed to be released earlier this year) to see how it addresses the issue. It's something I've been wondering about as well. If the revision has been completed, it would be nice to get it posted. If input is still being sought, I'd hope the TOS committee would be directed to this thread.

I do know the CommunityDirector was unavailable recently & now most of us are running into holidays/also being unavailable (except for kipper who probably has to work since she's got a new job ), so I'd say this will be something we get to in January.

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you want "names"...
No, I was only making the point that practice does not always precisely reflect policy, and that any policy which FlyerTalk adopts requires manual enforcement. Moderators do not read every post. This means members must report violations, and must also accept that moderation is judgment. When a moderator does not act on a report it does not mean that it wasn't evaluated. It means the moderator reached a different conclusion.

The notion that all moderators ought make identical decisions is unrealistic and undesirable. This is explicitly addressed the Terms:

Moderators understand that the various FlyerTalk forums have slightly different tones. What's acceptable in one forum may be considered out of line on another.
I would like to better understand the motivation for purging referral links. I'm seeing two different strains of thought. Some say that referrals causes post padding (which is already a rules violation). Others seem to begrudge the "free advertising". Do we really want to create a policy based on spite?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:49 am

Where Are They?

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I think it's fair to ask what's happening with the TOS revision (which was supposed to be released earlier this year) to see how it addresses the issue. It's something I've been wondering about as well. If the revision has been completed, it would be nice to get it posted. If input is still being sought, I'd hope the TOS committee would be directed to this thread.
Fair questions don't always get responses, either in the public fora or privately.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I do know the CommunityDirector was unavailable recently
She's been posting in other fora since this thread started (I found 19 posts from her this December):

... And the silence, so deafening. ...
(bolding mine )

Last edited by lin821; Dec 20, 2013 at 11:50 am Reason: adding a link & clarification
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Fair questions don't always get responses.

She's been posting in other fora since this thread started (I found 19 posts from her this December):

Sometimes they don't; sometimes they do. I think this one will get an update in 2014 as mentioned. I'm not on the committee so I don't know the current status. But with the holidays starting this weekend I realistically don't expect an update before year end.

I don't feel a need to track how many times the CD has posted on FT since a thread was started. Heck, for all I know, 19 is slow compared to what the CD normally posts! I know that for the most part she was unavailable recently & will be the same for the next week or so. The reasons are not FTers' business.

BTW - we get you feel strongly about this issue & what your viewpoint is re: it. Others don't feel as strongly about it/it isn't as much of a concern to them & as far as they're concerned no action needs to be taken. And others, such as mia, are trying to understand different strains of thoughts before deciding on their viewpoint.

Cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
I wanted to bump this thread as I would like to add myself to the list of people who is becoming increasingly frustrated with how prolific bold red signatures that only contain links to 4 credit card referrals. Not only are the attention grabbing signatures an eye sore, but many of these posters are not spamming per ce but are simply reposting already stated or obvious information in repeated efforts to broaden their exposure. These referral links are not just an eyesore and turning signatures off or ignoring individual users does not mitigate the problem resulting from all this "non-information" making threads longer, less pertinent, and harder to search for real information.

Mark
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lowside67
I wanted to bump this thread as I would like to add myself to the list of people who is becoming increasingly frustrated with how prolific bold red signatures that only contain links to 4 credit card referrals. Not only are the attention grabbing signatures an eye sore, but many of these posters are not spamming per ce but are simply reposting already stated or obvious information in repeated efforts to broaden their exposure. These referral links are not just an eyesore and turning signatures off or ignoring individual users does not mitigate the problem resulting from all this "non-information" making threads longer, less pertinent, and harder to search for real information.

Mark
I agree with you, though it seems most people do not.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CMK10
I agree with you, though it seems most people do not.
And I agree ^ and agree
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:35 pm

Please, do something!!!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Ditto for me. It seems that everyone has some sort of a cash back/blog link, someway to make money scheme in their signature.

Is FT turning into the Fat Wallet of travel? I'm now starting to see people who are trying to make money from various schemes being posted and advertising them in their signatures
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lowside67
...turning signatures off or ignoring individual users does not mitigate the problem ...
I would like to understand more specifically why you believe these are not useful tools. If some members are posting more often to expose their Signatures, and if others disable Signatures or add those members to their Ignore lists, it seems there would be fewer clicks.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'll answer

Because the problem is they are looking to make $$$ off these signatures and the FT population, on the whole, sees them. I'm not going to click on them, but they're still annoying to see.

Is that the purpose of signatures? To advertise a personal business? (and yes, blog & referral links are a business)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.