Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting in TB Elections? Some things to consider.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

The debate forum was made "read only" when voting opened. (At least, hopefully, it was. Sometimes these tech things don't happen quite as intended.)
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by goalie

If you don't vote, you can't complain about the outcome
We'll find a way.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Well..... I still consider ScottC's answer about the accusation of not participating to be entirely apt: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ml#post4818135

I know some of the candidates by their posting history. In some of those cases, there is nothing a poster could post in the questions-and-answers forum that would ever cause me to vote for that person. More positively put, in some other cases, though, there is nothing that a poster could post in the question-and-answers forum that I can imagine dissuading me from voting for him/her. Posting history over the years is far more important to me than anything else. Which is why in 2005 I voted for ScottC and why he won.
This is 100% correct. In the OP's list uptop, I know many of those named. Some I've met in person, and some I only know by their postings. The last name mentioned does post a lot. I'd like to say that quantity of posts does not = quality of post. @:-) Please consider that when you vote.

dh
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I'd like to say that quantity of posts does not = quality of post. @:-) Please consider that when you vote.

dh
Now now, every post has a quality. It may not be of a good quality, however.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Now now, every post has a quality. It may not be of a good quality, however.
I would use a normal curve with the x axis being logarithmic (though not necessarily base 10) to gauge post quality.
(though it may be skewed to the left, to think about it.)
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: Too many

I voted and certainly paid attention to everything anyone said. It's been way too political the last few years and while I rarely comment here I do read regularly. I just hope people voted for the candidates who genuinely want to offer something, not big note themselves and use as an ego trip as quite a few have done. I voted right across the board this time and chose the responses I like. Post count means little to me. I'm here daily but don't post much, so I'm gonna give someone a fair go too. Also I think when people are too chummy outside of FT this isn't fair for new candidates to get a decent shot.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Also I think when people are too chummy outside of FT this isn't fair for new candidates to get a decent shot.
The Talk Board could change the rules there and specify certain slots for newer members (i.e. blocking one slot for a member with less than 3 years, for instance), or blocking certain slots for those that are not incumbents. Personally, I don't see that happening, but you're free to suggest something like that if you don't think the current system is balanced.

I think the bigger issue, though, is loss of interest in the Talk Board and what they're doing. With 500,000 members you would think we'd get more than 1,000 votes. Maybe need to offer some iPads to get members to vote.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
...I think the bigger issue, though, is loss of interest in the Talk Board and what they're doing. With 500,000 members you would think we'd get more than 1,000 votes.
I see this (similar to what I have experienced directly with several other organizations) as a sign of health: comporting with what several surveys over the years by previous FT ownership found again and again, "regular" folks are generally very happy with FT. They come for information, find that information well-organized (at least in most forums), find mostly helpful posters ready to assist, and these things are made possible primarily by a strong and well-led moderator corps that is for the most part highly committed to continuing education, best practices, and keeping the forums they moderate attractive and easy places to find information. So, I'm pleased with the "lack of interest" since it is an excellent index of excellent health of FT; "lack of interest" in the TalkBoard has nothing to do with level of interest in FT.

Maybe need to offer some iPads to get members to vote.
Buying votes always ups the quality of the citizenry.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:18 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tom911
The Talk Board could change the rules there and specify certain slots for newer members (i.e. blocking one slot for a member with less than 3 years, for instance), or blocking certain slots for those that are not incumbents. Personally, I don't see that happening, but you're free to suggest something like that if you don't think the current system is balanced.
Well thanks to recently enacted term limits and retirements there will be at least 4 and perhaps as many as 6 new faces on TB in a few days.

And no more 'Presidents for Life'!

It's too soon to say if that will end up being a good thing or a bad thing, but it IS a thing.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Well thanks to recently enacted term limits and retirements there will be at least 4 and perhaps as many as 6 new faces on TB in a few days.
...drum roll...

...and the winners are...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.