Wiki Posts
Search

Rules against campaigning prevent TalkBoard from being relevant to most users

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by tcook052
The rational part of me wants to address the member engagement disconnect by loosening the election rules a fraction to allow, for example, one thread per forum maximum to discuss forum specific topics as they relate to past or pending TB votes. That of course still won't prevent those who aren't interested from ignoring even that sticky.

FWIW I wouldn't want to see us relax the electioneering/campaigning rules so much that it disrupts the individual forum for months on end though that's merely MHO.
This is an excellent structured way to initially do what I'm suggesting. I assume the campaigning went crazy at some point and was overcorrected, so I can see how general 'relaxation' of the restrictions might be chaotic.

Originally Posted by kipper
The problem with that is that unless all candidates know about the thread, one or two may "campaign" in it, while the others never see it, and it would give them an unfair advantage.
If someone is active in more forums and gets more input from regular users outside of campaign threads, I say it's an advantage, but certainly not an unfair advantage. (Unless it occurs in forums where some of the candidates are masked.) If someone is willing to put in more effort and gets more exposure... how is that unfair?

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
1. There isn't a rule that regular FTers/TB candidates can't participate or bump threads re: issues. However, if a TB candidate deliberately bumps threads &/or PMs folk to push their point of view & keeps mentioning they're running for TB in the post/PMs FTers (again, this is generic & not aimed at you) or gets others to do so on their behalf, then it does start to fall into the campaigning side of things.
That isn't my experience. In my example, one of the candidates bumped it with a very bland, "This is being discussed in the TalkBoard Election" or something like that, and the thread was locked because it was related to a campaign issue. (The bump/lock is what actually drew my attention to the TalkBoard election.) So then it was impossible for anyone to comment on it.

I wasn't involved in any campaigns for anyone, I was just a single-issue voter last election, and I wasn't allowed to speak on the issue in a forum where it would have the most impact because it was bumped during the election season. And I sent out a very issue-specific PM highlighting the name of every candidate who had expressed support for the idea, and was told that was inappropriate campaigning.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
OP in OP is stating that TB elections aren't promoted, and also that FTers can't raise issues even when running for TB.
No, that is the exact opposite of what I'm saying.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the point is not election itself but that election can overlap with a current issue, and people posting about the issue may not know that.
This is what I'm saying. If there was a passionate debate thread in a regular forum during the previous year, and now it is being discussed as a campaign issue, it makes sense to be able to bump and discuss the thread in the original forum in the context of, "Now is your chance to really weigh in on this by voting," and candidates would be able to weigh in with their views.

Then you get the attention of the people who care about the issue but couldn't care less about TalkBoard because they don't understand how it impacts them.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by janetdoe
If someone is active in more forums and gets more input from regular users outside of campaign threads, I say it's an advantage, but certainly not an unfair advantage. (Unless it occurs in forums where some of the candidates are masked.) If someone is willing to put in more effort and gets more exposure... how is that unfair?
I'm not saying there's something wrong with a candidate being more active in forums, but I do think that unless telling all candidates that there is discussion about an issue happens, it's an unfair advantage to those who frequent that forum. For example, let' say candidate A is active in MilesBuzz, while candidate B is not. Candidate A starts posting their thoughts on how to improve that forum, while Candidate B, who is more active in the Delta forum, is oblivious to the discussion in MilesBuzz. Candidate A has free rein at campaigning in that thread, and Candidate B, who might have an amazingly great idea, is unaware of the discussion. Candidate A is elected, while Candidate B is not.

I hope you aren't suggesting that every candidate frequent every forum on FT at least during the election!

My suggestions, in order to add more to the election season and debate:
  1. If a question asked of the candidates pertains to a particular forum, post an announcement in that forum.
  2. All for follow-up questions to be submitted via the Community Director.

That gives everyone who is running equal chance at commenting, and alerts all who use a forum to discussion of it, while allowing them a chance to ask follow-up questions.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I actually think that TB has become not relevant to FT (and that's why the majority of FTers are not interested in it). It was an interesting experiment, but times have changed. We have a Community Director who is able to make decisions now. Close TB and move on.
I'd tend to agree with this. I don't know what it was like in the "old days" of FT, but the TB bureaucracy seems to belong to a bygone era. The OP's story and some of the points mentioned upthread seem to highlight that, just IMHO.

I can't really see what purpose it serves. The arguments in support of TB only seem to talk about the functions it performs, because that's how FT is currently set up - but not why it's better than some other way.

Is there no other way to manage an online forum? Obviously so as other online forums function fine without such a formal management scheme. I'm not a forum junkie but others that I am familiar with are significantly more streamlined. Some of the things that would make FT more useable from a functional perspective aren't even (as I understand it) under TB's control, but are the purview of IB.

But back to the OP, I guess I don't see the harm in highlighting issues that folks are campaigning about in relevant threads. Just my two cents.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I don't think TB has lost its purpose, but I doubt even FT regulars see an urgent need to meddle in the workings of the forum. They come here, read, respond to what concerns them and move on (ie have a life ). Drawing parallels to daily life is a bit far fetched, as FT doesn't tax you and doesn't promise to deliver anything in return for your fees.
Of course once candidates decide to 'give back' to the FT community by running for TB a number of issues either come up or are made up. I don't think anyone has come up with that swing vote mobilising election theme yet.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I actually think that TB has become not relevant to FT (and that's why the majority of FTers are not interested in it). It was an interesting experiment, but times have changed. We have a Community Director who is able to make decisions now. Close TB and move on.
I'm not sure I'd go quite this far. But unfortunately I'm leaning more on the side of your post than I did 2 years ago.

Before I say anything that's seen as too damning or even self-serving, let me say that I am not running for re-election this year. I've been elected, served my term, and I'm moving on.

--------------------

The TalkBoard is just way too hamstrung by the rules and organization of FT. Moderators always have and always will be the managers of FT. For the most part, the Moderator Corps is a closed group where a FTer with loud, occasionally unpopular opinions, is not welcomed. There are exceptions, but most of those have been "on the inside" for a very long time.

The TalkBoard will always seem to me to be this little elected body that rivals the student government group in an elementary school. The election process is cute, drawn out, personality driven, and utterly barely more than meaningless. Hell, the TB isn't even welcome to join with the Moderators when they have their DO to talk about the running of FT -- that's where TB sits in the hierarchy of FT.

I spent years tilting at windmills. When the biggest contribution a group makes has to do with renaming forums, I wonder if maybe Jenbel isn't right. Let Carol pick her focus group and shutter the whole thing.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:35 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Hell, the TB isn't even welcome to join with the Moderators when they have their DO to talk about the running of FT -- that's where TB sits in the hierarchy of FT.
Seriously? That's ridiculous, and should be corrected.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I believe that it is a matter of most folks are here for information and not for politics.
I agree 101% and have made a similar comment many times.

It is my unscientific observation that 99.9% of all FT'ers could care less....and rightfully so IMO....about the inner workings of FlyerTalk. They are here to trade information, maximize miles and points and perhaps socialize with their fellow members. How FT works is beside the point. They just want a seamless, speedy experience.

For those interested in the wonky inner workings of FT, I believe our Community Director has done about as much as practically possible to call attention to the elections and to encourage participation. Any more publicity would likely intrude on the 99.9% "unconcerneds" user experience.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Let Carol pick her focus group and shutter the whole thing.
Is there a full moon?

Originally Posted by Cholula
I agree 101% and have made a similar comment many times.

It is my unscientific observation that 99.9% of all FT'ers could care less....and rightfully so IMO....about the inner workings of FlyerTalk.
Amen.

They are here to trade information, maximize miles and points and perhaps socialize with their fellow members. How FT works is beside the point. They just want a seamless, speedy experience.
They don't care because they don't need to care. There is nothing seriously broken. If there were, then they might need to care -- although more likely they'd go elsewhere. There is a huge and well-organized fount of information. The interface doesn't detract from the information available with cutesy junk. Trolls and disrupters are speedily dealt with. For the most part, newbies are warmly welcomed and helped to get up to speed. The way the information is structured makes sense.

For those interested in the wonky inner workings of FT, I believe our Community Director has done about as much as practically possible to call attention to the elections and to encourage participation. Any more publicity would likely intrude on the 99.9% "unconcerneds" user experience.
Indeed. And I continue to wonder why some of the really successful and largest bulletin boards have managed to be so successful without a "TalkBoard"....

Well-spoken, Cholula
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
I'm not sure I'd go quite this far. But unfortunately I'm leaning more on the side of your post than I did 2 years ago.

Before I say anything that's seen as too damning or even self-serving, let me say that I am not running for re-election this year. I've been elected, served my term, and I'm moving on.

--------------------

The TalkBoard is just way too hamstrung by the rules and organization of FT. Moderators always have and always will be the managers of FT. For the most part, the Moderator Corps is a closed group where a FTer with loud, occasionally unpopular opinions, is not welcomed. There are exceptions, but most of those have been "on the inside" for a very long time.

The TalkBoard will always seem to me to be this little elected body that rivals the student government group in an elementary school. The election process is cute, drawn out, personality driven, and utterly barely more than meaningless. Hell, the TB isn't even welcome to join with the Moderators when they have their DO to talk about the running of FT -- that's where TB sits in the hierarchy of FT.

I spent years tilting at windmills. When the biggest contribution a group makes has to do with renaming forums, I wonder if maybe Jenbel isn't right. Let Carol pick her focus group and shutter the whole thing.
However sad, this seems to be accurate.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
How to Campaign for TB Election...

But apparently there are rules about no discussion of the election in 'regular' threads. Members who tried to bump threads related to the issue and mention there was currently an election on that topic were scolded for campaigning, and IIRC, the thread was locked. This happens to be an issue I was very passionate about, so I PM'd a bunch of the posters on the thread that had expressed support for my views, and I was reprimanded/reported for that by a moderator. (I'm not debating or challenging the moderator actions in either case - I assume they were correctly enforcing whatever policies exist. The story just doesn't make sense without those facts.)

But where is it more appropriate to mention an election than in a thread where people are complaining and upset about an issue that is currently a hot topic in the campaign?
(Emphases mine)

In our TalkBoard Guidelines, things had been spelled out very clearly w/r/t campaigning:

SECTION 3: BOARD ORGANIZATION

A. TalkBoard Members

i. The TalkBoard will consist of 9 voting members, chosen by popular election. The FlyerTalk Host can serve as an ad hoc TalkBoard member at will and may appoint ex officio, non-voting, members to the TalkBoard.
ii. TalkBoard members must be active, registered members of the FlyerTalk community.
B. Election/Selection
i. TalkBoard Members

a. Interested candidates must be able to commit to minimum weekly discussion and voting participation. Candidates shall submit a profile specifying their area of primary interest and involvement in the FlyerTalk community (e.g. which miles/points area is of primary interest), accompanied by a statement describing their reason(s) for choosing to be a candidate.
b. It is the goal and intention of the FlyerTalk Host that on the First of November, the names of the candidates will be announced so that FlyerTalk members will have an opportunity to become acquainted with them; however, the date may be changed at the discretion of the FlyerTalk Host. For a minimum of 2 weeks following the announcement of candidates, FlyerTalk members will vote and FlyerTalk Host will tally results. The new TalkBoard member(s) will be announced within ten days of the end of the vote closure. The terms of these newly elected TalkBoard members will begin within a week of that announcement.

c. Campaigning is restricted to the current year's TalkBoard Election forum and members' signature lines. In order to respect the privacy of all members, campaigning by the TalkBoard candidates may not be done via mass usage of the FlyerTalk Private Message system or via mass-mailed FlyerTalk email campaigns. Any TalkBoard candidate found to be mass-emailing via the FlyerTalk email system or abusing the FlyerTalk Private Message or Social Networking system for the purpose of campaigning will be removed from the ballot by the FlyerTalk Host and will not be eligible to run in that year's TalkBoard elections.

d. TalkBoard members represent the community and are therefore expected to act accordingly and within the guidelines of the FlyerTalk Terms of Service. In order to be eligible to run for TalkBoard, members must be in good standing in the FlyerTalk community. The term “in good standing” is defined here as being a member with posting privileges.
e. TalkBoard members who are subject to the term limit defined in Section 3.D.i shall be ineligible to be candidates in the current year
I, for one, appreciate all the strings attached to the campaign so the TB politics isn't taken over FT & the majority of FTers can enjoy FT as usual during TB election time without "interruption" from potential TB candidates who may "suddenly" become much more active than their usual selves in other corners of FT in Oct/Nov. YMMV.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver

Bravo, and thanks for posting your honest opinions. ^^

TB is a joke. It has no power to deal with the controlling clique.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz

Zing!

That's was a good one.

But I do think that TB serves as a useful focus group for the CD. Especially when it is not filled with simpering and sycophantic yes-people.
ROTFL
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some people seem to be somewhat misinformed about Moderators, who they are and what they do.

We are not "managers of FlyerTalk" - Internet Brands has managers tasked with that, and the Community Director is essentially the COO. We are volunteers who adhere to certain specifications and practices as well as the TOS, are held accountable to the Community Director and peer review, and perhaps the reason it appears we have been "on the inside for a very a long time" is most of us have significant time on FT even before we become moderators.

We do not have a "Moderator DO" in the classic sense - DOs are generally social events, and though we do socialize for a couple of hours afterward, we attend an annual training day where we work pretty intensely - much of that is learning new techniques helpful to doing our job, receiving direction and guidance from the Community Director and Internet Brands. If that appears anti-social, be assured many of us also attend DOs when we get the chance - because socializing is not the focus of our annual training days.

The Moderators and the elected members of TalkBoard exercise pretty different roles as members of FlyerTalk. (Ironically, not only do most BBS-type websites not have an analogous body to TalkBoard, many are adding moderators due to some of the apparently expanding number of participants in those sites who feel their anonymity is a ticket to harangue, harass and otherwise disrupt; I am glad FT has both, IMO.)

Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, BA, AA
When the biggest contribution a group makes has to do with renaming forums, I wonder if maybe Jenbel isn't right. Let Carol pick her focus group and shutter the whole thing.
I guess that's why it seemed to me that the only issue that really mattered last year was the issue of logins or minimum posts to see error fares / MR Deals. I don't care so much about naming and creating new forums, but I know a lot of people who are really ticked about overexposure of deals. Of course, it may be too late to fix it, since many people have given up and just moved to private groups and mailing lists. <shrug>

If people on TB are so dispirited about its utility and purpose, then I have to say this thread is pointless, too.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: HH Silver
I guess that's why it seemed to me that the only issue that really mattered last year was the issue of logins or minimum posts to see error fares / MR Deals. I don't care so much about naming and creating new forums, but I know a lot of people who are really ticked about overexposure of deals.
For the record that was the last time MR access came up for debate in this forum having been bandied about several times before that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.