FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rules against campaigning prevent TalkBoard from being relevant to most users
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:25 am
RichMSN
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I actually think that TB has become not relevant to FT (and that's why the majority of FTers are not interested in it). It was an interesting experiment, but times have changed. We have a Community Director who is able to make decisions now. Close TB and move on.
I'm not sure I'd go quite this far. But unfortunately I'm leaning more on the side of your post than I did 2 years ago.

Before I say anything that's seen as too damning or even self-serving, let me say that I am not running for re-election this year. I've been elected, served my term, and I'm moving on.

--------------------

The TalkBoard is just way too hamstrung by the rules and organization of FT. Moderators always have and always will be the managers of FT. For the most part, the Moderator Corps is a closed group where a FTer with loud, occasionally unpopular opinions, is not welcomed. There are exceptions, but most of those have been "on the inside" for a very long time.

The TalkBoard will always seem to me to be this little elected body that rivals the student government group in an elementary school. The election process is cute, drawn out, personality driven, and utterly barely more than meaningless. Hell, the TB isn't even welcome to join with the Moderators when they have their DO to talk about the running of FT -- that's where TB sits in the hierarchy of FT.

I spent years tilting at windmills. When the biggest contribution a group makes has to do with renaming forums, I wonder if maybe Jenbel isn't right. Let Carol pick her focus group and shutter the whole thing.