Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Add a Trusted Traveler forum as an offshoot of Travel Safety/Security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

Please note: Comments Welcome, Voting Underway: Create a Trusted Traveler forum was begun 18 October 2013 and is also a place to discuss, support or oppose this motion, now in play and being voted upon by elected TalkBoard members. (I've been told TB members will monitor both threads.)

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

Add a Trusted Traveler forum as an offshoot of Travel Safety/Security?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
As I think about the question I can only arrive at this: Travel Safety and Security really seems to be about personal protection, 'how do I', 'what should I', 'look out for' types of issues to be wary of while traveling -- they are controllables at the individual level. GE, PreCheck, Known Traveler, etc [of which I have two, not to mention "Known Crewmember" ] are simply enrollment programs administered and outside the control of the individual. Yes there are important topics, especially to the frequent flyers, over and beyond safety in a personal sense; they are as much programs of convenience for us as they are safety-related [for the government]. I absolutely think there should be a standalone page with perhaps separate sections for each program. A topic such as this should not necessarily be in the Safety/Security section; a better location would actually be under Checkpoints/Borders or alternatively, under Travel Tools.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Talkboard is considering a 3rd forum for TSS, so here's the draft for input before we go to actual formal motion:

"Creation of a Trusted Traveler forum

The TalkBoard recommends creation of a Trusted Traveler forum under the Travel Safety Security category

Title: Trusted Traveler Programs
Forum description:
Practical issues directly related to trusted traveler programs such as Global Entry, Nexus, PreCheck and others"

Cheers.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:51 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Talkboard is considering a 3rd forum for TSS, so here's the draft for input before we go to actual formal motion:

"Creation of a Trusted Traveler forum

The TalkBoard recommends creation of a Trusted Traveler forum under the Travel Safety Security category

Title: Trusted Traveler Programs
Forum description:
Practical issues directly related to trusted traveler programs such as Global Entry, Nexus, PreCheck and others"

Cheers.
I'm generally in favor, but think the example list is too US-centric, and perhaps is better titled something like 'Expedited security and border crossing programs' to include all fast-track programs.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I'm generally in favor, but think the example list is too US-centric, and perhaps is better titled something like 'Expedited security and border crossing programs' to include all fast-track programs.
I'm in favor as well* but taking your description, I would put the "such as Global Entry, Nexus, PreCheck and others" (or something similar) at the end to make it clear as to what belongs (maybe it's overkill but why not spell it out)

*and in favor of a third top level vs sub forum as why bury things
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by goalie

As noted above, it is.

Cheers.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Quote:

Originally Posted by goalie

As noted above, it is.

Cheers.
Just checking as being an OBF and all
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im assuming there is discussion in private forum of whether people will vote based on where forum is located (sub vs not)

if its not a subforum, name should include "practical" and perhaps "(not policy debate)"

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
https://www.flux-alliance.eu/about_flux/
"Groeiend internationaal netwerk van vertrouwen"
"Growing international network of trust"
re name >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...formation.html
Originally Posted by scoow
Travel documents (Passports, Visas, Global Entry, Nexus, etc)
if not something like "Trusted Traveler Programs" maybe "Frequent Traveler Programs" or adding "Government" somewhere

if not under practical, i would think even the name could become a complex discussion of what may or may not imply debate is allowed etc, unless title included something like "(No Policy Debate)"
pre check is (now going to be) rolled out to everyone in US
an asian business traveler card is (going to be) rolled out to US residents

http://www.globalentry.gov/korea.html global entry for korean citizens
http://www.globalentry.gov/netherlands.html global entry for dutch citizens
http://www.globalentry.gov/newzealand.html

http://www.globalentry.gov/smartgate.html australia
http://www.customs.gov.au/smartgate/default.asp AU's own page
http://www.customs.gov.au/smartgate/...ders-trial.asp AU also working with UK epassports
seems both AU and NZ are trials, and smartgate is also in NZ?
dont see a mention of AU/NZ getting global entry themselves? would be after trial?
non-US include for example >

Privium - netherlands
SmartGate - australia
SES (Smart Entry Service) - korea

ABTC (APEC Business Travel Card) (not available to US citizens yet) >
http://www.apec.org/about-us/about-a...avel-card.aspx

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 10, 2013 at 10:33 pm
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 11, 2013 at 11:46 am
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re policy debate >

im not sure why people keep saying why bury it when two mods (one of whom is TB) were very clear on their position.

something i dont think the mods specifically said - people could be discouraged from using the new forum if it becomes filled with policy debate (the mods can only move things so fast) and newcomers (not necessarily new to FT) are not only turned off, but overwhelmed by the vitriol that is pretty much not present anywhere else on FT. many have never been exposed to it (in policy debate forum) including this member of TB (albeit newer) >
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Thanks, Kagehitokiri...I do understand much better nsx (and others) concerns. Good grief, there are some very rabid folks who will take the opportunity to bash airport security in an off-topic fashion any chance they get. *sigh* You won't catch me volunteering to mod the TS&S debate forum.
for the TB/others who say things like do it right the first time, it seems to me that could be argued here, if the potential for being overwhelmed by policy debate is there, then take that into account the first time rather than saying we will change the location of the forum if necessary. (im not necessarily a "do it right the first time" person, and am a person who is more inclined to create new forums to create demand/organization, so im not arguing it myself, just pointing this out.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 11, 2013 at 8:54 am
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:31 am

TSS is a forum. This motion would make Trusted Traveler the 3rd subforum under TSS (Practical, Trusted Traveler, Policy Debate). It is not a sub of a sub (ie, it is not a sub of Practical).

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i had not seen this until now >
Originally Posted by nsx
Thanks for all the viewpoints. My fellow mods and others make a good case.

I'd support a forum at the same level as Practical and Policy if it were titled something like "Trusted Traveler Programs (Global Entry, Nexus, PreCheck)" with a cautionary subtitle like "Practical Discussion only: No Policy Debate!"

If the new forum nevertheless attracts too much debate, our Community Director can relocate it under the current Practical Travel Safety Issues forum. IMHO that decision should be made fairly quickly, before bad posting habits take root.
re description - including international programs in description could lead to people finding out that their country offers one, especially if its new, or people in another country checking to see if their country has one, and finding out that it does. also, people could start threads asking about them, if they dont search the internet themselves. regardless, drives discussion and creates opportunities for FT to serve more frequent travelers.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
UK IRIS has been killed. A pseudo-replacement has come online but is only in trial.
id assume there are FTers in trial, but i guess wait until public again before considering inclusion in description.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 11, 2013 at 9:55 am
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:06 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

non-US include for example >

Privium - netherlands
SmartGate - australia
SES (Smart Entry Service) - korea

ABTC (APEC Business Travel Card) (not available to US citizens yet) >
http://www.apec.org/about-us/about-a...avel-card.aspx
Those were the three I was thinking of off the top of my head.

But what do we think of including, for example, Heathrow Arrivals and Departures Fast Track and the like?

On the private sector side there is also CLEAR, assuming it is still out there hanging on by a thread.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hong kong airport's would count because its a program/card
http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...nnel.htm#fvapc

when its not a program and its airline/fee/coupon/etc its not the same thing (airline-only vs airline partner of program)
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Those were the three I was thinking of off the top of my head.

But what do we think of including, for example, Heathrow Arrivals and Departures Fast Track and the like?

On the private sector side there is also CLEAR, assuming it is still out there hanging on by a thread.
I think we need to include enough so that it's not US-centric & so that people get the idea of the programs to be discussed, but I don't think we need to include every single one (from a space issue point of view for a forum description).

LHR arrivals/departures fast track has nothing to do w/ trusted traveler programs & is based on being booked in J/F. My guess is those conversations will take place in the airline specific forums.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Practical issues directly related to trusted traveler programs such as Global Entry, Nexus, PreCheck and others "
is 3 US

- "Discussion of practical issues directly related to programs such as Global Entry, Privium, PreCheck, SmartGate, and others"
- "Practical discussion of programs such as Global Entry, Privium, PreCheck, SmartGate, and others"
would be 2 US plus 2 non-US. i would think at least including Privium
potentially plus
- "(not policy debate)"
- "Discussion of practical (not policy) issues"
- "Practical (not policy) discussion"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.