Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Time to re-task forums for discussion of companies rather than their FF programs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to re-task forums for discussion of companies rather than their FF programs?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe we should also reconsider rearranging the order in which fora are listed, but this should be a separate discussion possibly leading to a separate proposal/motion. Let's try to avoid confusing the issues here.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree.

The sitewide renaming of airline & hotel forums is more along the lines of

United Airlines Mileage Plus becoming United Airlines
Marriott/Ritz Carlton Rewards becoming Marriott/Ritz Carlton

that type of thing, rather than re-arranging where they appear.

Cheers.
Planning to get rid of "miles&points" with what?

I am more of the philosophy of it ain't broke, probably no need to fix it unless you want to break a lot more.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Planning to get rid of "miles&points" with what?
No plan to get rid of the category Miles&Points. Just shortening the individual airline/hotel forum titles, which will reflect the current use of the forums, which is more than just miles & points - and which will make it easier for those checking FT on mobile devices & tablets as it takes up less real estate.

Cheers.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

does anything get moved out of program forums?

Originally Posted by tcook052
I'd like to see all hotel topics under one heading including "Luxury Hotels" and "Hotel Deals" as it just seems intuitive to me to group them together instead of having them separate as at present. Just MHO.
Originally Posted by kipper
While I can understand grouping luxury hotels with other hotels, I like having hotel deals and mileage run deals together.
Originally Posted by tcook052
Wouldn't having hotel deals within a larger hotel heading make more sense and be more intuitive? It would to me but that's MHO and was just a thought I had if we are indeed moving toward a site wide renaming of the airline forums.
Originally Posted by kipper
It would make more sense to me to have all of the deal forums lumped together.
Agree.
i would agree with kipper and SkiAdcock re deals being together, and "argue" that that is more intuitive. just different perspectives. personally, id also like to see segmented deal forums for example for premium air, but then im a "create more forums to to create organization/demand" person.

re luxury hotels - for example >
- many/most in luxury hotels forum arent really concerned with anything else, many only read luxury hotels forum
- percentage wise, almost no one on FT is interested in paying cash for luxury hotels with no program
(in terms of frequent flyer/guest and rewards programs, its practically the opposite of the rest of FT)
(i found it especially amusing that a recent commenter on lucky9876coins's blog referred to luxury hotels forum as "Flyertalk’s Aman forums" - with Amanresorts being an extremely well-regarded/discussed luxury hotel company)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 10, 2013 at 11:22 pm
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:57 pm
Suspended

No plan to get rid of the category Miles&Points. Just shortening the individual airline/hotel forum titles, which will reflect the current use of the forums, which is more than just miles & points - and which will make it easier for those checking FT on mobile devices & tablets as it takes up less real estate.

Cheers.
Given that there are now forums under Miles&Points supposedly created for budget airlines that have no points/miles program, why have such inconsistency?

I use FT mostly from a mobile phone whose screen is smaller than the iPhone5. Even at my ripe old age, I don't see what the need is to change the forum titles.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't see what the need is to change the forum titles.
As stated previously, FT has evolved & discussions in airline & hotel programs go beyond just miles & points, so having the title be the airline or hotel makes more sense/reflects how the forums actually operate. The secondary benefit is it makes easier reading on mobile devices.

Cheers.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:12 pm
Suspended

As stated previously, FT has evolved & discussions in airline & hotel programs go beyond just miles & points, so having the title be the airline or hotel makes more sense/reflects how the forums actually operate. The secondary benefit is it makes easier reading on mobile devices.

Cheers.

Why keep the label Miles&Points for a section of FT that is increasingly supposed to be about more than just miles and points? I know pretty well how those forums actually operate, even as I may not be considered part of the "in" cliques.

I don't see your secondary benefit. YMMV.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Cheers.
I support the proposed renaming.

If done, what about a subforum within each airline/hotel for specific questions about reward questions? May be unnecessary, but if there's a desire to retain heritage there's at least that.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:07 pm

Talkboard is moving forward with the idea of renaming airline/hotel forums for the entity rather than frequent flyer/stay programs. So here's the draft for input before we go to actual formal motion:

"Talkboard recommends changing the airline and hotel forums names to the entity rather than the frequent flyer/stay program, and adding a forum description for each. The frequent flyer/stay program will be listed in the forum description (example of forum description, "For all discussions related to United Airlines and the Mileage Plus program")

Airlines and their programs:
-Aegean Airlines
-Aer Lingus
-airberlin
-Air Canada
-Air France/KLM
--Air France
--KLM
-Air New Zealand
-Airtran Airways
-Alaska Airlines
-Alitalia
-ANA
-American Airlines
-Asiana
-Avianca/Taca
-bmi
-British Airways
-Cathay Pacific
-Delta
-El Al
-Emirates
-Etihad Airways
-Finnair
-Frontier Airlines
-Iberia Airlines
-JAL
-JetBlue
-Korean Air
-LAN
-Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, etc
--SWISS
-Qantas
-Qatar Airways
-SAS
-Singapore Airlines
-Southwest
-Thai Airways
-Turkish Airlines
-United Airlines
-US Airways
-Virgin America
-Virgin Atlantic
-Virgin Australia
-WestJet

Hotel Chains and their programs:
-Accor
-Best Western
-Choice
-Club Carlson
-Fairmont
-Hilton
-Hyatt
-InterContinental Hotels Group
--InterContinental Hotels Group - Stay Forum
-Marriott/Ritz-Carlton
-Starwood
-Wyndham
-Other Hotel Chains"
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Talkboard is moving forward with the idea of renaming airline/hotel forums for the entity rather than frequent flyer/stay programs. So here's the draft for input before we go to actual formal motion:

"Talkboard recommends changing the airline and hotel forums names to the entity rather than the frequent flyer/stay program, and adding a forum description for each. The frequent flyer/stay program will be listed in the forum description (example of forum description, "For all discussions related to United Airlines and the Mileage Plus program")

<edit by me: removed list to save space>
Simple and to the point along with having a simple and to the point description of each forum ^
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current

<SNIP>

-Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, etc
--SWISS
With the change to follow the entity rather than the FFP (a change I support), should the Miles & More airlines (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss) each have a separate forum (or sub-forum)? In other words, now that the fora will not be based on FFP, what's the logic for grouping these airlines into a single forum?

-S
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Sarfa33
With the change to follow the entity rather than the FFP (a change I support), should the Miles & More airlines (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss) each have a separate forum (or sub-forum)? In other words, now that the fora will not be based on FFP, what's the logic for grouping these airlines into a single forum?

-S
This is a good point. I'll add to it that the "etc" is rather unhelpful. I suggest identifying all airlines covered within the group if the group approach is taken.

Perhaps given the scope of the program each airline should be covered with its own heading, as Sarfa33 suggests, with a separate subforum under Lufthansa for "Miles and More general" (or something to that effect).

Also, this list does not include either the "Other [region]" airlines or the "budget [region]" airlines. Those categories should be retained, IMO.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: HH Silver
MHO would be to simply retitle the categories as "Airlines" and "Hotels".

Also while these changes are being considered I'd like to see further reorganizational steps taken, such as moving all hotel topics under a single "Hotel" banner. For example, why leave Luxury Hotels at one end of the FT spectrum and Hotel Deals at the other? MHO would be to bring these hotel topic forums under one banner for simplicity and continuity.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
What happened to the Hawaii-based Airlines [and their programs]?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
"Talkboard recommends changing the airline and hotel forums names to the entity rather than the frequent flyer/stay program, and adding a forum description for each....
And don't forget those in "Others" categories:

Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs

Other European Frequent Flyer Programs

Other Middle East and Africa Frequent Flyer Programs

Other North & South America Frequent Flyer Programs
Originally Posted by cblaisd
What happened to the Hawaii-based Airlines [and their programs]?
Perhaps the same reason as "India-based Airlines" & "Russia/CIS-based Airlines" since they are listed as "airlines" already?

Last edited by lin821; Oct 29, 2013 at 2:42 am Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.