Search

MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:41 pm

Totally agree.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:33 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Eloquently and succinctly put, Madame President.

The reality is that blogs are an entree into the points and miles addiction. A gateway drug, if you will. And with auto-link backing built into most blog software, that gateway often leads people to the harder stuff at FT.
FT has more to gain from talking about blogs than blogs have to gain from being talked about on FT. So let's put that talk a) where it belongs and b) front and center.

I can't think of a single reason NOT to move it. Can anyone else?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I concur, Sharon. Thanks for bringing this up.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I can't think of a single reason NOT to move it. Can anyone else?
Not I.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

Very precisely, where are you suggesting that the forum be moved?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:04 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Very precisely, where are you suggesting that the forum be moved?
Looking at the Miles and Points category, the most reasonable location would be between Mileage Run Deals and S.P.A.M. Why do I say that? Because IMHO discussion of blogs is more useful that S.P.A.M but less useful than the other non-program specific subjects.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'll be the lone dissenter to the proposed relocation of EM&PR forum to M&P as it's not about M&P in and of itself but rather talking about those who traffic in M&P information and to me there is a difference between those two things.

MHO would be to leave it where it is but simply retitle the forum to more clearly convey it's content, Blogs & Point Resources for example, evaluate whether traffic has increased and if it doesn't then explore relocation.

Just MHO.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:02 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Somewhat off-topic: Why is the Phone Programs/Partners header still present under Miles and Points? Those programs died ages ago. I think the header should be removed.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by nsx
Somewhat off-topic: Why is the Phone Programs/Partners header still present under Miles and Points? Those programs died ages ago. I think the header should be removed.
It's in the Discontinued Programs section.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:15 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's in the Discontinued Programs section.
Oops. I knew I should have taken that nap today!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tcook052
I'll be the lone dissenter to the proposed relocation of EM&PR forum to M&P as it's not about M&P in and of itself but rather talking about those who traffic in M&P information and to me there is a difference between those two things.

MHO would be to leave it where it is but simply retitle the forum to more clearly convey it's content, Blogs & Point Resources for example, evaluate whether traffic has increased and if it doesn't then explore relocation.

Just MHO.
Even if we're talking about people who talk about miles and points, we're still talking about miles and points. Makes no sense to me to have it in Travel & Dining when we're not talking about traveling or dining; we're talking about miles and points.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Even if we're talking about people who talk about miles and points, we're still talking about miles and points.
MHO is that M&P should be kept solely for ways to earn M&P and that discussions of people who talk about M&P be kept elsewhere. If T&D no longer works as a moniker then updating it to something better may be due as is a EM&PR forum retitle but MHO is to at least consider rebranding before relocation which seems the quick fix. Just MHO.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
MHO is that M&P should be kept solely for ways to earn M&P and that discussions of people who talk about M&P be kept elsewhere. If T&D no longer works as a moniker then updating it to something better may be due as is a EM&PR forum retitle but MHO is to at least consider rebranding before relocation which seems the quick fix. Just MHO.
Maybe since we're talking about people who are mostly part of the FT community, it should go under Community.

But really, who actually pays attention to the forum headings? I subscribe to all of the forums I'm interested in reading in MyFlyerTalk, so I can't remember the last time I visited http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php. The only time I care about what forum a sub-forum is in is when I'm trying to find one I don't normally visit, and in that case, you just have to think, "Where would it be most logical to find this forum?" And for that purpose, it makes much more sense that you'd find a forum talking about miles and points blogs in Miles & Points instead of Travel & Dining.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
T&D is fine as a moniker & all the forums have travel in their title. The only one in the T&D section that doesn't fit w/ T&D & does have M&P in its title is the EM&PRforum. It should be switched to the M&P section rather than staying in the T&D section. I also agree it should go after Mileage Run & before S.P.A.M. Every since EM&PR was created, FTers have questioned why it was in T&D instead of M&P.

And to reiterate my reasons for the move:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22353407-post270.html

Cheers.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jackal
The only time I care about what forum a sub-forum is in is when I'm trying to find one I don't normally visit, and in that case, you just have to think, "Where would it be most logical to find this forum?" And for that purpose, it makes much more sense that you'd find a forum talking about miles and points blogs in Miles & Points instead of Travel & Dining.
Then retitle the forum heading to something more intuitive such as Travel Topics or Special Interest while you're rebranding EM&PR and the visibility and intent of both improves greatly. While I appreciate the multiple roles EM&PR was intended to serve until it has a more clear title to indicate it's main focus it will suffer to some degree from lack of recognition regardless of where it's placed. Pushing EM&PR into M&P just seems a quick fix but as said that's simply MHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.