Wiki Posts
Search

Announcement: a subforum for "manufactured spending" will be added

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
Was there any thought about making this forum not publicly available, a la Coupon Connection?
Coupon Connection is a transactional forum, while Manufactured Spending is for discussion. Our rules prohibit trading outside of Coupon Connection, but I think you are not proposing to ban public discussion of this topic? You may wish to advocate creation of a closed Advanced Manufactured Spending forum, but this seems to be a separate proposition because there still needs to be a venue for public discussion.

Also, this idea seems to be the topic of an existing thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-public-2.html

Last edited by mia; Feb 26, 2013 at 7:07 am Reason: Add link to newer thread
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
IMHO, these credit card points deals and fake spending is a fad and the credit card companies are going to simply start shutting them down or make it really difficult for people to apply and qualify for many cards with bonuses at one time. They're not stupid.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Mary2e
IMHO, these credit card points deals and fake spending is a fad and the credit card companies are going to simply start shutting them down or make it really difficult for people to apply and qualify for many cards with bonuses at one time. They're not stupid.
I agree with this. So we might as well get while the getting is good.

Again, all anyone has to do is google 'vanilla reload.'

After the links to VR itself, here is what comes up for me:

MillionMileSecrets blog
lifehacker blog
frequentmiler blog
Points, miles and martinis blog
Romsdeals blog
thepointsguy blog
the mile point thread
hackmytrip blog
fatwallet
etc
etc
etc
Flyertalk doesn't even come up until the third page!

If I google the exact phrase 'manufactured spending' then yes, FT comes up first...along with a bunch of blogs.

Information wants to be free. Get while the getting is good. When the credit card companies think it is enough, it will be gone whether we talk about it or not. Because even if we do not, others certainly will.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I know I for one won't share a single tip or trick I find in a forum archived by web crawlers.
Just curious - does your refusal to share a tip or trick also mean that as a matter of principle you won't take advantage of the tips or tricks shared by others in the forum because the forum is open?

Originally Posted by kokonutz
What, the credit card companies can't read the 10 or so blogs that discuss these things in detail or other points and miles IBBs? They can't send someone to FlyerTalk University or a Seminar?

I learn far more about the 'hamsterdamization' of the miles and points game from blogs than I do here. And you are not going to be stopping them, hiding them or shutting them down.

So we might as well have the opportunity to chat about them here.
Agree.

Agree. The topic came up at the recent London Do. One of the overseas cards tracks a lot of things w/ relation to its promotions, and is now instituting a time limit before one can re-apply or get a new card for bonus points. We also had one FTer say that they won't pay for airline or hotel, but travel simply based on promo points from cc bonuses, and I remember thinking to myself, well what are you doing to do when the cc companies start scaling back?

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I agree with this. So we might as well get while the getting is good.

Again, all anyone has to do is google 'vanilla reload.'

After the links to VR itself, here is what comes up for me:

MillionMileSecrets blog
lifehacker blog
frequentmiler blog
Points, miles and martinis blog
Romsdeals blog
thepointsguy blog
the mile point thread
hackmytrip blog
fatwallet
etc
etc
etc
Flyertalk doesn't even come up until the third page!

If I google the exact phrase 'manufactured spending' then yes, FT comes up first...along with a bunch of blogs.

Information wants to be free. Get while the getting is good. When the credit card companies think it is enough, it will be gone whether we talk about it or not. Because even if we do not, others certainly will.
Agree.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree. The topic came up at the recent London Do. One of the overseas cards tracks a lot of things w/ relation to its promotions, and is now instituting a time limit before one can re-apply or get a new card for bonus points. We also had one FTer say that they won't pay for airline or hotel, but travel simply based on promo points from cc bonuses, and I remember thinking to myself, well what are you doing to do when the cc companies start scaling back?
If you read the cc forums or even MilesBuzz you'll start to see the pattern of cc companies tightening up the requirements and other loopholes look like they're starting to be closed.

I give it another 6 months and everything will be dead and those of us who used the promotions sparingly and only for cards we might actually want to keep, end up paying the price.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you read the cc forums or even MilesBuzz you'll start to see the pattern of cc companies tightening up the requirements and other loopholes look like they're starting to be closed.

I give it another 6 months and everything will be dead and those of us who used the promotions sparingly and only for cards we might actually want to keep, end up paying the price.
Just wanted to lock in that "6 months" prediction.

I disagree 100%, even with the amount of information posted here.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:02 am

No need to lock it in, I'll gladly admit it if I'm wrong. But the tides have been changing, and I don't think I am.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:20 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by josephstern
Just wanted to lock in that "6 months" prediction.

I disagree 100%, even with the amount of information posted here.
I personally think it depends.

If enough folks are running up bills that are not getting paid off 100% each cycle then the CC issuers are going to keep the game going. CC issuers are pretty darn good at making money. @:-)

But the first rule of manufactured spending always applies: don't manufacture more spend than you can actually afford at any one time, because you could get caught short at any time if a loophole is closed or program shut down.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:57 am

I'd have to disagree, I think you need to keep a few things in mind. MS'ers are the EXCEPTION not the rule. In the grand scheme of the billions of transactions I'd bet were a very small fraction of the banks Credit business

2nd, even people who "know" about MS'ing don't have the time or patience to utilize it to its fullest.

On a personnel level I've explained some tactics to friends and family and they get a glazed over look that tells me its ultimately not the easiest of hobbies to undertake or understand

If you think about it there's tons more people who have credit problems then there ever will be people to use credit to gain an advantage

We & MS'ing is the cost of doing business.....per Jesse Pinkman ...."breakage"

I think with minor tweaks and modifications the game stays for the foreseeable future
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:12 am

You do realize this post was from last year and the subforum has been created, right?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Mtek
I think with minor tweaks and modifications the game stays for the foreseeable future
Or the entire forum gets moved to OMNI Games
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You do realize this post was from last year and the subforum has been created, right?
Today, it's not a subforum added to Milesbuzz. It has its own full forum under Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs. Just to say that there is a discontinuity between the thread title's announcement and what is the current situation for MS.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 29, 2014 at 2:23 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:50 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
The new forum GUWonder references is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-spending-719/

Under that premise, I'll change this thread's title and retire it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.