Reload this Page >

Announcement: a subforum for "manufactured spending" will be added

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcement: a subforum for "manufactured spending" will be added

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:35 pm

Just discovered this sub-forum, useful to have these posts in one place now.

Originally Posted by lkar
"Spending Optimization" or somesuch seems closer.
I like the sound of this too. "Manufactured" has a negative connotation, although I get why it's described that way.

However, "spending optimization" makes me think of taking advantage of bonus spending categories (5x on office supplies, 2x on dining) rather than using prepaid cards and gift cards. Maybe it's just me. Future sub-forum?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
I like the decision. I don't care for the name. Not only does it call attention to these practices, it's not really accurate. Truly manufactured spend is only a subset of what is discussed. Much of it is shfting spending on non-bonus or no bonus things to bonus or higher bonus cards. Many of us, perhaps the majority, are uncomfortable with truly manufactured spend. Many of us are using techniques, for example, to pay taxes or mortgage with cards in a way to bring the fees to an acceptable cost per mile.

In short, I think the title of the subforum is both a lightening rod and underinclusive.

"Spending Optimization" or somesuch seems closer.
I agree that it's a great idea to create a new sub forum, and I also agree that I'm not too crazy about the name. I do like something about optimizing spending though. I think that would be a much better subform name. In a lot of cases it really isn't "manufacturing" spending, but strategically spending in one place as opposed to another.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:12 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by pawtim
I agree that it's a great idea to create a new sub forum, and I also agree that I'm not too crazy about the name. I do like something about optimizing spending though. I think that would be a much better subform name. In a lot of cases it really isn't "manufacturing" spending, but strategically spending in one place as opposed to another.
Forum: Strategic Spending

Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:09 pm

An incredibly dumb move made only worse by the subforum title. I guess nothing was learned from what happened with the Mint deal, or the results from recent blatant blog entries. Consolidating strategies in a public subforum will only serve to reduce their longevity.

When discretion goes out the window, so does everything else.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:07 am

First - I don't think it should be a separate subforum. Having the info be a little difficult to find is good, not bad. That might be a losing fight at this point.

Second - the name is terrible. Blatant and in your face. How about "Increased spending opportunities"
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by therivler1
First - I don't think it should be a separate subforum. Having the info be a little difficult to find is good, not bad. That might be a losing fight at this point.

Second - the name is terrible. Blatant and in your face. How about "Increased spending opportunities"
Agreed 100%. As if the mere creation of the sub forum wasn't enough, the title further screams "shut <fill in strategy> down".
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:44 pm

re

Change the name of the subforum to something less criminal sounding...manufactured spending is just another way of saying "ways to rip off the credit card companies" I'm not sure they have lurkers paying attention to all of FT but to blatently draw attention to loopholes the card companies would like to shut down, put in their own subforum and labled with a title that sounds slightly less offensive than "devious and sneaky ways to increase point yields from credit card program loopholes" is just asking for trouble.

How many people have to post and ask for this to be changed before you do something?!? Do you have anyone besides the moderator that came up with the name defending the decision? If not, get off your butt and fix it!!..by the time you create a commitee and poll the general user base and other moderators your offensive red flag waving may get noticed by more than lazy bloggers ready to draw circles and arrows.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:47 pm

Hamsterdam

Seriously. This place looks like "Hamsterdam" from Season 3 of The Wire... An open air market of scams and schemes
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was there any thought about making this forum not publicly available, a la Coupon Connection?

I'm all for sharing general travel knowledge, but some of this stuff just falls into a different category. In addition to limiting access, I think a protected forum will increase information as members might be more willing to share ideas. I know I would be.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:43 pm

AAA

Alliterative!
Avoid alliteration always!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I agree with josephstern - FT has disappointed me a lot in the past 12 months, not the least of which because things posted by others soon get syndicated and things die before their time.

I know I for one won't share a single tip or trick I find in a forum archived by web crawlers.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
Was there any thought about making this forum not publicly available, a la Coupon Connection?
I think the though put into making this forum was centered around 1 thing - increasing traffic

I'm all for sharing general travel knowledge, but some of this stuff just falls into a different category. In addition to limiting access, I think a protected forum will increase information as members might be more willing to share ideas. I know I would be.
Agreed. It's nothing more than a feeding frenzy of new members looking for easy miles and points. No way anyone with common sense will share a solid method anymore. It's just shooting yourself in the foot.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: many

+1000 !^

The FT community would benefit.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:03 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
What, the credit card companies can't read the 10 or so blogs that discuss these things in detail or other points and miles IBBs? They can't send someone to FlyerTalk University or a Seminar?

I learn far more about the 'hamsterdamization' of the miles and points game from blogs than I do here. And you are not going to be stopping them, hiding them or shutting them down.

So we might as well have the opportunity to chat about them here.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold

Smart idea.

Frankly, novices can really do some damage to themselves with this thread, too. People overdoing it with CC spend and digging a credit hole, etc. Wait till we see the first thread "I got turned down on a mortgage because of CC churning" or "Second SAR at bank and I got a call at my job from [FBI/DoJ/IRS] officials." Many of the strategies here are smart, but really do have a prerequisite amount of experience to be safely used - something currently not in place.

A little seasoning requirement, a la coupon connection, prior to access would really be a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.