Wiki Posts
Search

TB 2012 elections?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by travelkid
Not sure if I got that. Replying to asked questions one must assume is allowed.
I don't see a question in this thread. Doesn't matter, really.

There are two places you are allowed to campaign -- in your signature line and in the debate forum specifically created for this election.

Last edited by RichMSN; Nov 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Football Fan
I haven't done it, but why is it forbidden again (which I didn't even know, but sounds like it from your post)?
TalkBoard guidelines:

c. Campaigning is restricted to the current year's TalkBoard Election forum and members' signature lines. In order to respect the privacy of all members, campaigning by the TalkBoard candidates may not be done via mass usage of the FlyerTalk Private Message system or via mass-mailed FlyerTalk email campaigns. Any TalkBoard candidate found to be mass-emailing via the FlyerTalk email system or abusing the FlyerTalk Private Message or Social Networking system for the purpose of campaigning will be removed from the ballot by the FlyerTalk Host and will not be eligible to run in that year's TalkBoard elections.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:11 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I just voted for three candidates.... I wish them the best.

Now... go and sign up for Secret Santa 2012!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:13 pm

I'm more shocked to not see the "I Voted" avatar next to everyone's name in this thread yet, and indeed even some of the active candidates

Originally Posted by wharvey
I Agree, but my signature couldn't hold the link promoting SecretSanta2012 any more and choices had to be made. Once the election is over I'll revert and try to get some more people in.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wharvey
I just voted for three candidates.... I wish them the best.

Have never done the Secret Santa thing -- I'll go check it out.

Last edited by RichMSN; Nov 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I was stingy this year -- I voted for just two.

I've been generous and used all 4 of my votes. Hoping it doesn't come down to the wire and I cast a deciding vote against myself (one can hope). Although I did vote for people whom I could truly see adding great value to TB.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Not to sidetrack the thread, but Secret Santa is a really fun thing to do Rich!

Cheers.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
c. Campaigning is restricted to the current year's TalkBoard Election forum and members' signature lines.
Thanks.

Just seems odd that one should not even be allowed to respond to clarification questions by members.

Public direct dialogue between voters and candidates not allowed.

Tight grip.

Might be one reason that interest in these "elections" is low?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Exactly. Right on the money. I'm not sure why past TBs have limited themselves to that, however. I'm excited about the possibilities and the TalkBoard guidelines very explicitly give unlimited scope to making suggestions to the CD and IB.
Campaigning in the public thread, huh?

Hopefully voters note who is (and is not) doing this.
I was not campaigning. I was agreeing with Dovster that TB needs to take a wider purview per the TB Guidelines. This is the TalkBoard forum, right?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.

Just seems odd that one should not even be allowed to respond to clarification questions by members.

Public direct dialogue between voters and candidates not allowed.

Tight grip.

Might be one reason that interest in these "elections" is low?
Since I'm not running, I'm happy to answer this with my own opinion:

I would be thrilled if the debate forum was open to all, not just the candidates. I personally find it incredibly stale and boring to read and I found myself wanting to ask follow-up questions myself and then remembered that I couldn't.

But right now, campaigning is not allowed here and I think a candidate saying that the "TB needs to take a wider purview" is certainly campaigning -- at least that's how I see it. Keep in mind, however, that my opinion carries no more weight than any other poster's.

Maybe this is a first topic for the new TalkBoard - an open debate would be much more interesting and would probably bring out more from the candidates. I'll make the motion myself after the new TB members are seated.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Since I'm not running, I'm happy to answer this with my own opinion:

I would be thrilled if the debate forum was open to all, not just the candidates. I personally find it incredibly stale and boring to read and I found myself wanting to ask follow-up questions myself and then remembered that I couldn't.

But right now, campaigning is not allowed here and I think a candidate saying that the "TB needs to take a wider purview" is certainly campaigning -- at least that's how I see it. Keep in mind, however, that my opinion carries no more weight than any other poster's.

Maybe this is a first topic for the new TalkBoard - an open debate would be much more interesting and would probably bring out more from the candidates. I'll make the motion myself after the new TB members are seated.
May I agree with you or would that be campaigning?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May I agree with you or would that be campaigning?
Heh heh.

I just know that I bit my tongue so many times when I was actually running myself that I'm well familiar with the rules.

Personally, I would like to see open campaigning allowed in TB Topics for a limited time -- from the time that candidates are listed until the election is over.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:07 pm

Heh heh.

I just know that I bit my tongue so many times when I was actually running myself that I'm well familiar with the rules.

Personally, I would like to see open campaigning allowed in TB Topics for a limited time -- from the time that candidates are listed until the election is over.
I read between the lines somewhere that even the debate threads would be closed once voting started. This hasn't happened (yet) either.

Correction: it had happened when this was posted, I just hadn't tested it.

Last edited by evanderm; Nov 13, 2012 at 5:25 pm
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evanderm
I read between the lines somewhere that even the debate threads would be closed once voting started. This hasn't happened (yet) either.
Consider that a glitch -- that normally DOES happen.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by evanderm
It should have happened a few hours ago. Try it. Should it not be closed, let me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.