Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Create a Avianca/Taca Lifemiles Forum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I am mildly against the idea.

I live in Colombia and fly Avianca often. However, I prefer to have information about Latin America carriers consolidated in one forum. If it were up to me, the "Other North and South American Carriers" forum would split into separate North America and Latin America forums.

Frankly, the current forum does not generate enough traffic to make it worth checking every day. I believe that a separate Avianca forum would have even less traffic and become an orphan.

In regard to the earlier comment about the "Avianca-Lifemiles...Best Ever" thread, I believe that thread has wandered far from the subject of Avianca and become a discussion about how to best game the *A system. Further, if it had been in an Avianca-only forum, I think it is much less likely that non-Avianca flyers would have seen it, and it would not have generated as much traffic.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Moved by SkiAdcock and seconded by jackal:

"The TalkBoard recommends to the Community Director the creation of a Avianca/Taca Lifemiles Forum.
I support this motion.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:42 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I voted for this motion in the private TB topic forum today.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:03 pm

Yes

I support as well.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Given how many issues arise with service (the TACA flight service is great - the redemption and accrual, not so much), a voice for this new entity might be good.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: Lifemiles
I support this motion.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I support this motion.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by coolcoil

I live in Colombia and fly Avianca often. However, I prefer to have information about Latin America carriers consolidated in one forum. If it were up to me, the "Other North and South American Carriers" forum would split into separate North America and Latin America forums.

Frankly, the current forum does not generate enough traffic to make it worth checking every day. I believe that a separate Avianca forum would have even less traffic and become an orphan.

In regard to the earlier comment about the "Avianca-Lifemiles...Best Ever" thread, I believe that thread has wandered far from the subject of Avianca and become a discussion about how to best game the *A system. Further, if it had been in an Avianca-only forum, I think it is much less likely that non-Avianca flyers would have seen it, and it would not have generated as much traffic.
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate that you brought this point of view up for consideration.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by coolcoil

In regard to the earlier comment about the "Avianca-Lifemiles...Best Ever" thread, I believe that thread has wandered far from the subject of Avianca and become a discussion about how to best game the *A system.
Further, if it had been in an Avianca-only forum, I think it is much less likely that non-Avianca flyers would have seen it, and it would not have generated as much traffic.

Since posting the "Avianca/Taca Lifemiles" forum on June 21, the forum has been viewed by over 70,000 Flyertalkers and has over 700 posts.

In the grand BMI tradition, the Lifemiles forum will transcend other forums which are just about flying the base airline. For those who used the BMI forum in the past, were able to gain valuable information to master their system and thus "game the Star system".

Personally while I liked the BMI FF program, I never got a chance to fly the airline. I wanted to but it did not fly where I needed to go (thus I had to fly BA) and this may be the case for many members in Europe. Those of us in the Americas will be able to fly throughout Latin & South America.

Unlike BMI you will need to fly base miles on Avianca/Taca to have the higher tiered cards, which seems a reasonable requirement.

The Lifemiles program is new for the merger of the two airlines, so there should be much to see in the future. My prediction is that this new Flyertalk forum will have the same usage as the BMI one that is soon to be rolled up with BA.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:03 pm

Ijust joined the LifeMiles program about 4-5 weeks ago. Don't know much about it. Sure would like to know more. I think a forum would be a good way to get info.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
As someone based in Central America, I'd love it. I question how much traffic such a forum would get though.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
With the (most probably) exit of JJ from *Alliance, I think that the idea of a AV/TA forum here is a great idea. I live in Brazil, and am locked into *, so I have a feeling I'd be checking that forum frequently.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by travelkid
I would expand to saying any main alliance carrier- either forum or sub forum.
I concur, but would also like to state that any main carrier, which could exist in it's own forum, to keep threads segregated. Example: Jet Airways in the Airlines of India forum.

Originally Posted by transportprof
Every *A carrier should have a discussion board on FT.

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Sep 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Since posting the "Avianca/Taca Lifemiles" forum on June 21, the forum has been viewed by over 70,000 Flyertalkers and has over 700 posts.

In the grand BMI tradition, the Lifemiles forum will transcend other forums which are just about flying the base airline. For those who used the BMI forum in the past, were able to gain valuable information to master their system and thus "game the Star system".

Personally while I liked the BMI FF program, I never got a chance to fly the airline. I wanted to but it did not fly where I needed to go (thus I had to fly BA) and this may be the case for many members in Europe. Those of us in the Americas will be able to fly throughout Latin & South America.

Unlike BMI you will need to fly base miles on Avianca/Taca to have the higher tiered cards, which seems a reasonable requirement.

The Lifemiles program is new for the merger of the two airlines, so there should be much to see in the future. My prediction is that this new Flyertalk forum will have the same usage as the BMI one that is soon to be rolled up with BA.
But FT has a very large British component to it, helped by the fact we are native english speakers. The BD forum traffic is not driven by American members seeking to exploit what was a very generous programme, but by the domestic users.

In trying to suggest that Taca will be as busy as BD, are you really telling me we have as many South American based members on FT as we do British members? That the forum will be as widely supported by domestic based flyers who fly the airline regularly as BD was? Because I'm not sure I can believe that.

As someone who first visited Colombia when it was still considered unsafe to do so, I know how discussions about Colombia have languished in the South America destination forum, with limited discussion and few answers until the last couple of years, when we have now a couple of active Colombian based members (neither of whom are Colombian born) - how unlike the UK & Ireland destination forum which is vibrant and busy, driven by the large number of UK based flyers who are on FT. This would seem to suggest to me that you can't expect the same traffic levels as the BD forum has had, because we don't have the core group of regular flyers who use these airlines day in/day out.

There may be merits to having the forum. I'm not sure we have the user population to justify it as a separate forum however. I don't think an airline forum can be supported by people simply seeking to use it as a generous programme though, as we then don't generate the knowledge about the airline itself.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Create a Avianca/Taca Lifemiles Forum will pass...

In accordance with the recently changed guidelines that means we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will pass as it has secured 6 yes votes.

Please note that not all TB members have voted yet, and so a final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until all 9 have voted or the voting period ends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.