Search

Motion Passed: Create a Peru Forum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
That is not the SOP.

This thread now reads like a mega thread, with the relevant motion noted in the thread title now in post 27 rather than post 1.

I. Freaking. HATE. Megathreading.
Agreed. IMO, a terrible decision.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:27 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Agreed. IMO, a terrible decision.
Would have been better had the other thread been closed when the voting thread was open. At least now we have a single thread on the topic.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Would have been better had the other thread been closed when the voting thread was open. At least now we have a single thread on the topic.
There have *always* been two threads -- the original discussion thread and the "Comments Welcome" thread. Megathreading is not desirable, nor is closing off discussion in the original thread.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
As such, would you then support creating a Destination forum for every country? Some forums do have forums for every country regardless of the activity in the forum for that country.
In the case where there is very little overlap and a reasonable amount of discussion so as not to make it a complete ghost town, I can't say I'd be opposed.

When dealing with a destination that is often paired with other nearby destinations and creating a separate forum would hurt, rather than help, the quality of discussion and the number of eyeballs seeing the discussion (such as in the recently-discussed idea of breaking apart some of the states in the West forum), then no.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
This is the 80th post in this thread. How does that equate to megathreading???

I can get more posts than that by starting a thread spamming Cholula Hot Sauce.

(In fact, I once did and there were 5544 posts in it before it was shut down.)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN
nor is closing off discussion in the original thread.
Why?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
In the case where there is very little overlap and a reasonable amount of discussion so as not to make it a complete ghost town, I can't say I'd be opposed.
What is a reasonable amount of discussion?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Moderators' have merged two threads on this subject for housekeeping and convenience sake.
Thank you. ^
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Rather than discussing moderation issues, which is neither productive nor permitted, please use the PM system or the Alert a moderator to this post button to deal with posting / thread issues.

I will consult with my moderator colleague when he is available and see if we can follow through with a reasonable thread split if some semblance of order can be restored, or continue with the thread as is; I do not want to second guess anyone. In the meantime, please continue posting about putative Perú Forum and TB's voting on it in this thread.

Thank you, JDiver, Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 16, 2012 at 2:15 pm
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
What is a reasonable amount of discussion?
An amount which ensures that interested parties with potential answers to the posted questions will drop in regularly enough that questions are answered in a timely fashion.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's not get too far off-topic on this. I just plain screwed up merging them. A couple of FT'ers asked via RBP and PM that it occur, and in a rush between business deadlines I did not fully think it through.

Tradition is to keep the proposal and voting threads separately. This remains the practice, IMO. Unfortunately I can't unravel my mistake.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Now back to our regularly scheduled debate....

P.S. I personally consider my one visit to Peru (particularly Cusco) one of the travel highlights of my life
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Let's not get too far off-topic on this. I just plain screwed up merging them. A couple of FT'ers asked via RBP and PM that it occur, and in a rush between business deadlines I did not fully think it through.

Tradition is to keep the proposal and voting threads separately. This remains the practice, IMO. Unfortunately I can't unravel my mistake.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Now back to our regularly scheduled debate....

P.S. I personally consider my one visit to Peru (particularly Cusco) one of the travel highlights of my life
No worries on my part but why have two threads running simultaneously in the first place?

Why not simply close the proposal thread closed with a title change like this (if the proposal actually makes it to a motion, that is)

Proposal: Create a Hockey* forum (now closed see discussion thread)

*quiet kokonutz
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Because not everyone likes hockey

Anyway, let's get back to discussing the merits of the Peru forum rather than get sidetracked with merging of threads.

I appreciate moderator2 getting back to us so quickly. BTW - at this point given the vote closes within 24 hours, let's just leave everything alone re: changing the threads again.

Cheers.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Create a Peru Forum will pass...

In accordance with the recently changed guidelines that means we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will pass as it has secured 6 yes votes.

Please note that not all TB members have voted yet, and so a final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until all 9 have voted or the voting period ends.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks, all, for your patience - there's always an explanation, and it's usually he simplest one (Occam's Razor comes into play,) not the one preceded by black helicopters.

Now it looks like I (and you!) will have a dedicated Forum to discuss Lake Titicaca and Taquile, Juliaca and Sillustani, Ollantaytambo and the Sacred Valley, Moray, Cusco, Tambo Machay, Tambopata, Paracas, Nazca, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.