Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Reconstructing FT to make it more of a social flagship?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton

The post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post18120749

Is apparently from a recruiter at Internet Brands (but not tagged as an official company account.) The line that stuck out:

The plan is to reconstruct the FlyerTalk site more towards and make it a social flagship.
Interesting.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reft
The post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post18120749
Is apparently from a recruiter at Internet Brands (but not tagged as an official company account.) The line that stuck out:
Interesting.
If that were the case how would that sit with all the squatters......It would also mean them ditching the entire V Bulletin software which is long past the due date for software perishability.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reft
The plan is to reconstruct the FlyerTalk site more towards and make it a social flagship.
thanks a lot for posting

will certainly be interesting to see

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ech-brand.html
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, from a personal TalkBoard perspective, this isn't something that was ever brought up with TB to my knowledge.

IB, IMHO, tends to make decisions and provide direction without the input of the general members or their elected representatives - which, as owners of this discussion board, is well within their rights and well within their business strategy.

Keep in mind that when FlyerTalk was sold, it went from being a labor of love to a labor of business.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
FWIW, from a personal TalkBoard perspective, this isn't something that was ever brought up with TB to my knowledge.

IB, IMHO, tends to make decisions and provide direction without the input of the general members or their elected representatives - which, as owners of this discussion board, is well within their rights and well within their business strategy.

Keep in mind that when FlyerTalk was sold, it went from being a labor of love to a labor of business.
Actually the Community Director posted a few months ago saying they'd like to make FT more social-media oriented & asked for input from FTers. She also mentioned other things she'd like to see happen. Like all TB topics , the thread quickly derailed. And it's something that for the most part didn't even gain input from TB members.

FWIW - while I'm not social media savvy, I've got no problem w/ IB wanting to do something that makes FT a better site for FTers. Why would that be a bad thing? And if it's just in the planning stages - ie, they're looking for an employee, why would TB be involved at that point?

I disagree that FT was simply a labor of love. While Randy did (does) love FT & was a benovelent dictator, it was always a business that fit into his overall business model. If it was truly a labor of love, he wouldn't have sold it for a profit

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Actually the Community Director posted a few months ago saying they'd like to make FT more social-media oriented & asked for input from FTers. She also mentioned other things she'd like to see happen. Like all TB topics , the thread quickly derailed.
that was why i created this thread >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ech-brand.html
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I think a lot of this is above TB's pay grade.

I was checking out MP and their iPad app the other day, and it's amazing how user-friendly that app is. FT would be well served by an app and a BB technology even close to that one. Of course, this is my opinion as a FTer, not an official anything from a member of TB.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
IB own the shop that makes vb, so if there is an opportunity... sadly FT is so customized and screwed up in the backend it can't be migrated to vb's 4.x (like http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php) and still lingers at 3.6. As you can see with small operations like VFT and MP, using a different version or platform is possible if you have no or little data to migrate. Imagine the howl if past data (or pstcunt) is distorted in any way Google hits would vanish quickly and traffic reduce.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:06 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by oliver2002
IB own the shop that makes vb, so if there is an opportunity... sadly FT is so customized and screwed up in the backend it can't be migrated to vb's 4.x (like http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php) and still lingers at 3.6. As you can see with small operations like VFT and MP, using a different version or platform is possible if you have no or little data to migrate. Imagine the howl if past data (or pstcunt) is distorted in any way Google hits would vanish quickly and traffic reduce.
It's all a sad reminder not to do too much customization to OTS software.

Apparently COdbaUA never learned this lesson, and neither did Ran Decisions when they ran FT.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How should we evolve to better fill that need?
How do we remain vibrant in this rapidly changing Internet world?
What new technologies or structures in the board should we be asking Internet Brands to add in order to keep members coming back to us?
How do we turn a newcomer who finds us thru Google search into a contributing member?
Is it important to retain a sense of community?
If so, how do we best do that with such a large community?

Is there anything we can do systemically to help foster that?
Is it important to keep FlyerTalk in the press?
Should TB develop a database of those willing to field press queries and their field of expertise?
What about bloggers?
Should we ask IB to expand their platform to host blogs?
If so, what content is sought?
has IB communicated that they are open to suggestions regarding investments in technology and/or brand expansion?

has IB discussed any of their investments in technology and/or brand expansion, like Top Flyer?

IB created iphone app right? jackal, any thoughts on IB's responsiveness etc?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:14 am

It would be better if the overall "feel" of FlyerTalk was a bit less "hostile" to the newbies... For example, there are no avatars which 99% of other forums would allow- even if it's just one specific issue it does play a role in turning lurkers into members.

As for the technology issue, I think what we have works. Perhaps a slightly enhanced software/forum server package could be beneficial, but FT shouldn't "degrade" itself to the Facebook-style layout.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Well, there is a 'suggestions' section on FT that no one really ventures to ... I really doubt avatars are going to make people feel welcome. On any forum that I read, I make sure signatures are switched off, any avatars blocked etc.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the above SanDiego1K quote was directed at TB and posted in this forum

as stated here >
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My thoughts for the 2012 Talkboard

Here is my challenge to members of the TalkBoard: I would like to see recommendations for how to take FlyerTalk to the next level.

These are a few examples of where I believe the TalkBoard can serve me and this community as we move forward.

I’ve tried to give a sense of the areas in which TalkBoard can help

If the TalkBoard can look forward as I’ve suggested

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 6, 2012 at 10:54 am
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the above SanDiego1K quote was directed at TB and posted in this forum

as stated here >
That was a request to 9 TBers, the remaining 300+k members have the facility to suggest since day one in the suggestion forum and hardly anyone makes use of it
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by oliver2002
That was a request to 9 TBers, the remaining 300+k members have the facility to suggest since day one in the suggestion forum and hardly anyone makes use of it
However, for those of us who actually visit and post in Suggestions Forum, things aren't getting any better either. Not to mention all the things that's been bugging us in Technical Issues Forum IB consistently fails to address properly.

If the admin or IB are just not listening or taking good things into consideration, what's the point for (good) suggestions? Often I feel (wise) words are falling on deaf ears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.