Reload this Page >

Intermediate titles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intermediate titles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Mary2e
How would anyone know that I'm an ambassador if I don't have the title? My role is to help newbies and make them feel welcome/comfortable.

I get quite a few PMs from newbies with questions simply because of that title. I have to coax them to post publicly. Sometimes they feel uncomfortable posting certain things publicly.

We may as well get rid of the program if people don't know who we are.
I agree. I also receive PM's from users who pop into the US forum, take a look around, but are a bit timid to actually post. There really is something about getting those first few posts out there...

When I visit a forum I'm not familiar with, the assigned titles help to give me a lay of the land. And sometimes I'll PM an ambassador or Mod to make sure I'm posting in the correct place first.

Originally Posted by tcook052
I wouldn't be in favor or more titles as it would IMHO lead many more to seek them with quantity, not quality posts. Now that OMNI posts count also more members will be reaching the 10K mark and be granted their first title.

That is of course just MHO.
Exactly. Another forum I participate in tried to do something by number of posts, and suddenly there were many posts with just 1 letter each.

The ideal would be to have a method to rate the quality of the posts. I've seen a couple of users with just a couple hundred posts, yet each of those posts is extremely well worth a read.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by kipper
Mods group? What do you mean by that?
Could be any group, mods group, senior mods, TB, CD, whatever really. Making it some honorary title.

Originally Posted by Dovster
Great idea! I suggest the following:
40,000+ Posts: Psychiatric Patient
You picked the level and title for a reason
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by travelkid
Could be any group, mods group, senior mods, TB, CD, whatever really. Making it some honorary title.

You picked the level and title for a reason
My shrink recommended it.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:06 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Although there is some merit in Dovster's proposal, with nearly 15 years of posting I'm not sure it's totally reflective of reality.

But I do agree that if we are going to change titles, I'd be for a wholesale overhaul rather than a tweek.

I personally think 'Evangelist' is a stupid title.

Since we are a FF board, I never understood why we didn't do the precious metals/gems approach that our favorite businesses do.

A rough draft of the sort of overhaul that I think makes sense:

0-100 Newbie
100-1000 Bronze Elite FlyerTalker
1000-10,1000 Silver Elite FlyerTalker
10,000-20,000 Gold Elite FlyerTalker
20,000-30,000 Platinum Elite FlyerTalker
30,000-50,000 Diamond Super-Elite FlyerTalker
>50,000 Super-Elite FlyerTalker for Life
Not bad ^ but as to the 0-100 Newbie, personally I don't like the term "newbie" so how about a simple thing like "General Member" or something similar the way the airlines do it. I know my example is not that good but it's better than "Rides in the Village"
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
+1 on the idea of removing the post count titles. If you are TB, CD, mod, admin or ambassador, you have the title, everyone else is 'just' a member. I would even eliminate the post count showing under the member name. It has no true value whatsoever. If anyone sees value in it, they can look it up in the member's profile.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
+1 on the idea of removing the post count titles. If you are TB, CD, mod, admin or ambassador, you have the title, everyone else is 'just' a member. I would even eliminate the post count showing under the member name. It has no true value whatsoever. If anyone sees value in it, they can look it up in the member's profile.
I agree except that I would also eliminate the TB, CD, Mod, Admin titles except when they are posting in the official positions. Frankly, if I want to know about a hotel in Tel Aviv, the fact that somebody is on TB or is the moderator of the CO Forum does not mean that he is any more qualified to answer my question than another person.

I would have no objection to the "Ambassador" title being used whenever that person is posting in the particular forum he or she is representing.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:08 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by goalie
Not bad ^ but as to the 0-100 Newbie, personally I don't like the term "newbie" so how about a simple thing like "General Member" or something similar the way the airlines do it. I know my example is not that good but it's better than "Rides in the Village"
I actually like 'General Member' a lot.

I dunno about eliminating all titles. Or all titles except mods/TB/Ambassadors.

It's like post count: people SAY they dont care about it. But they do. They really, really do.

So let's give the posters what they want. ^
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I would prefer to see all non-appointed/elected titles removed.

I think they're the root of many of the issues we've seen regarding participation.
Agreed! ^
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I find it ironic that some of the people here that advocate the elimination of non appointed and non elected titles themselves have appointed and elected titles.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by kokonutz
It's like post count: people SAY they dont care about it. But they do. They really, really do.
Then if its important let people look for it in the profile.... I find the DKYWIA stuff to the left and bottom of each post distracting.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I find it ironic that some of the people here that advocate the elimination of non appointed and non elected titles themselves have appointed and elected titles.
How would anyone know that I'm an ambassador if I don't have the title? My role is to help newbies and make them feel welcome/comfortable.

I get quite a few PMs from newbies with questions simply because of that title. I have to coax them to post publicly. Sometimes they feel uncomfortable posting certain things publicly.

We may as well get rid of the program if people don't know who we are.
Same response to you.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As Mary2e noted, there's a reason for the official titles to be displayed. It helps FTers identify ambassadors, moderators, company reps, TB members, so if they need to contact them & don't know who they are it gives them the heads up.

Speaking as a regular FTer, I don't have a problem w/ the Evangalist title under my handle disappearing. I don't care about titles. FWIW - I rarely look at the info under anyone's handle. I note the handle & make any judgment of valuable posts based on the content they post. If they have 2 posts but they're good, then they get my respect. If they have 30,000 & their posts suck, they don't. Shrug.

I'd vote for eliminating titles, but as some of the other TB members have noted it is important to some, just as post counts are important to some, so I don't think there'd be enough support to eliminate them.

So, if there's a need for intermediate titles I'm ok with them, if we can figure out something that works for everyone.

Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:40 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
As Mary2e noted, there's a reason for the official titles to be displayed. It helps FTers identify ambassadors, moderators, company reps, TB members, so if they need to contact them & don't know who they are it gives them the heads up.

Speaking as a regular FTer, I don't have a problem w/ the Evangalist title under my handle disappearing. I don't care about titles. FWIW - I rarely look at the info under anyone's handle. I note the handle & make any judgment of valuable posts based on the content they post. If they have 2 posts but they're good, then they get my respect. If they have 30,000 & their posts suck, they don't. Shrug.

I'd vote for eliminating titles, but as some of the other TB members have noted it is important to some, just as post counts are important to some, so I don't think there'd be enough support to eliminate them.

So, if there's a need for intermediate titles I'm ok with them, if we can figure out something that works for everyone.

Cheers.
Assuming he can work out the math, I rather like koko's suggestion, with the exception of changing newbie to general member.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kipper
Assuming he can work out the math, I rather like koko's suggestion, with the exception of changing newbie to general member.
I'd rather see shorter titles than his suggested long ones, and I agree w/ not doing the newbie thing.

Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:34 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'd rather see shorter titles than his suggested long ones, and I agree w/ not doing the newbie thing.

Cheers.
Perhaps drop the "FlyerTalker" portion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.