Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intermediate titles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I think titles add a little something to look for, especially if they are more granular than today. I love my Evangelist title as it shows all the hard posting work I've done on FT over the years.

Oh, wait, I don't have a title anymore. I hate titles and think we should get rid of all of them. Titles don't add anything to the core of FT (miles/points) and really can just confuse people more than anything else.

Oh, wait, I'm pretty close to getting my Evangelist title back. I've decided I like titles again and we should keep them. The more the merrier.

Personally, titles are like the post count. At best its just something there to see as I'm looking at the various threads/posts that interest me. I guess my main interest at the moment is in wanting to know whats after the "Posting Legend" title.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: Bopping Field Mice on their Heads
This is rather off topic, please excuse my ignorance, but how did one become an "original member" of this forum? Of course I realize this is no longer possible.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by FluffyBunnyFuFu
This is rather off topic, please excuse my ignorance, but how did one become an "original member" of this forum? Of course I realize this is no longer possible.
I think the folk who were on FT when it started were declared original members. I wasn't one of them, so that's just a guess.

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I think the folk who were on FT when it started were declared original members. I wasn't one of them, so that's just a guess.

Cheers.
Obviously, but there must have been a cut off date, like registration in the first x days?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Thanks! Actually two more rather off-topic (lengthy) questions, my apologies!

The title thing is the equivalent of reputation/like/+1 on other forums, right? As in, user accounts on FT with titles are basically the same as accounts without them (except maybe like not being to accept Coupon Connection, make polls on threads, etc.)? They are not considered "premium"?

I guess my question is really: will there be a change to FT to switch to a pay-for-premium-member system (where the average user pays a fee but the cost is waived for those with high reputations or something like that)?

Personally, I would be very much against such a move but I notice that a lot of previously open/free forums have now split membership into "premium" and "regular"/"nonpaying" and am curious if this is the direction that the having certain titles will morph into.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by travelkid
Obviously, but there must have been a cut off date, like registration in the first x days?
I think it was anyone that registered in 1998. By the time I came along in 2000, as a member #2,898, FT was not handing out "original member" status. Weren't very many members back in those days and a lot less forums than you see now. We even had a "general travel" forum back then. Now we're up to something around 377,000 members. If you want to know with certainly you can always send a message to Randy Petersen.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I guess my question is really: will there be a change to FT to switch to a pay-for-premium-member system (where the average user pays a fee but the cost is waived for those with high reputations or something like that)?
Wouldn't Internet Brands take a bit hit in advertising revenue with that model?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tom911
I think it was anyone that registered in 1998. By the time I came along in 2000, as a member #2,898, FT was not handing out "original member" status. Weren't very many members back in those days and a lot less forums than you see now. We even had a "general travel" forum back then.
That's correct. My original handle was my real full name (what did anyone know about anonymity on IBBs back in 1998!) and is an original member. I registered kokonutz in 1999, and so it is not 'original.'
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I think it was anyone that registered in 1998. By the time I came along in 2000, as a member #2,898, FT was not handing out "original member" status. Weren't very many members back in those days and a lot less forums than you see now. We even had a "general travel" forum back then. Now we're up to something around 377,000 members. If you want to know with certainly you can always send a message to Randy Petersen.
Ah, thank you. I'm not particularly interested for any ulterior reasons but it was just a question I always had and I thought here was finally a good thread to ask to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm still rather new here so I don't want to step on the toes of the conventions of each forum and such, if that makes sense?

To add (insert cheesiness), I think this forum has helped me understand a lot about flying/traveling and I hope it will always remain free and easy to access.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No such plans... in fact the previous ad free scheme has been laid to rest:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...highlight=free
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:38 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
"Original Member" IIRC is anyone who registered prior to December 1998. There was some sort of software update a number of years ago, that made it difficult to track exact enrollment dates prior to 1999. Even though my profile shows that I joined in May 1998, my recollection is that I really joined in October (and made my first post in November) 2008.

What I've never been able to reconcile is how I am member #71. While there was not a heck of a lot of members in those days, as Koko would possibly attest to, there were certainly well more than 70 by October.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Craig6z
"Original Member" IIRC is anyone who registered prior to December 1998. There was some sort of software update a number of years ago, that made it difficult to track exact enrollment dates prior to 1999. Even though my profile shows that I joined in May 1998, my recollection is that I really joined in October (and made my first post in November) 2008.

What I've never been able to reconcile is how I am member #71. While there was not a heck of a lot of members in those days, as Koko would possibly attest to, there were certainly well more than 70 by October.
I didn't realize I am in the same boat as koko. I registered using my first and last name sometime in 1999. I realized a bit later (4 years later) that I really didn't want to do that and started a new account and had my old account disabled. I should've asked for a name change and I would've kept my original FT member number and start date.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Name changes were not allowed then, the policy changed only recently.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Rather than risk cluttering nsx's new thread asking for suggestions for new titles I'll renew my objections to adding any more than are already in place. IMHO more aren't needed and it's an unnecessary exercise.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:22 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by Craig6z

Oops, meant 1998

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.