How are Destination forums ordered?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are Destination forums ordered?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I shudder when I read that, as that is not the case. 35-40% of our moderators are from outside the US. Talkboard has increased its worldwide focus the past 18 months by searching for gaps in coverage of international carriers. I have not observed US-centric focus amongst either group.
I can't tell you how happy I am to read this from you (I'm not from the USA)

If I recall correctly the comment that Exbayern is referring to was made by a moderator who is not resident in the US, which made it even more galling for me.

It's clearly a touchy subject, given that some months later I knew exactly which message was being referred to.

Last edited by Moineau; Apr 4, 2012 at 8:50 pm
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
We currently have two major headings for our regional forums:
  • USA
  • World

When FlyerTalk was formed, it was predominantly an American board. Putting the USA alone and pushing all other countries into "world" reflected that. That's not the case today. We are genuinely an international board. A significant volume of readership comes from outside the US. Members have made valid points here and elsewhere about respecting our international diversity. It is my goal to do that by going more to a regional structure in alphabetical order.

Everything below is an existing forum; it simply is a reordering in hopes of making them easier to find. I welcome feedback on this structure:
Looks good to me! ^
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
Thanks. I shuddered as well, then I 'got over it'

As to organisation, that is an interesting one. It's like the world map; depending on where you are in the world, it is laid out differently ie North America is not always in the centre.

However, I would do something such as ...

...'Australia' (can't forget them!!)

'Antartica'
You certainly can't forget us, and thank you for not doing so! But this is problematical, Australia is both a continent and a country, and my neighbours in the Pacific might feel a little miffed by having "Australia" as the main heading. I think that "Oceania" might be more appropriate, with sub-forums such as "Australia", "New Zealand", "South Pacific Islands" (only examples). Both Au and NZ are grown-up enough to have their own sub-forums, they are very different places.

Antarctica is problematical. The best that most of us will ever have of seeing it is from the window of a plane chartered specifically , so I imagine it might be a calm and peaceful corner of FT. I'd be happy to put my hand up to moderate such a forum, although the three posts that it might attract annually (in a busy year) may well be very controversial
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:04 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
It does make sense to group Macau with Hong Kong as most people who frequent FT and visit Macau will also spend some time in HKG at least for transit.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:36 am
Community Director Emerita

• Africa
  • Antartica
  • Americas
    ----Canada
    ----Caribbean
    ----Central America
    ----Cuba
    ----Mexico
    ----South America
    --------Argentina
    --------Brazil
  • America - USA
    ----Current forums in current order
  • Asia
    ----China
    ----Hong Kong
    ----India
    ----Japan
    ----Singapore
    ----Thailand
  • Europe (closed to posting at this level)
    ----Europe
    ----European Rail Travel
    ----France
    ----Germany
    ----Italy
    ----Nordic Countries
    ----Russia
    ----U.K. and Ireland
  • Middle East
  • Oceania (Australia, New Zealand, and Pacific Islands)
I've just set up a new section of FlyerTalk called Destinations. I've implemented the scheme above. Please let me know about any errors. And feel free to message me should you feel that descriptions could be improved. I'd appreciate the help.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
It does make sense to group Macau with Hong Kong as most people who frequent FT and visit Macau will also spend some time in HKG at least for transit.
Done.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:44 am

I think that we need to have headers even when there is only a single forum inside. Like Africa needs a section header like Americas has. Otherwise the forums get lost in scanning the list. Look at the end of the US section where it hits Antarctica. Looks odd.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:46 am

Also, destinations needs to be a heading like Special Interest Travel.

And maybe add Destinations to the Jump to Forums: at the top as otherwise there is no way to get there from any of those links.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
How the heck do we get to Destinations ?

I ended up going through search ...
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
What happened to the destination forums. They are no longer listed under the Travel and Dining section?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goodeats21
What happened to the destination forums. They are no longer listed under the Travel and Dining section?
They are hiding them

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/destinations-704/

Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Thanks. Thought I was going crazy for a minute

For any mods / admins that may stumble across here, you may want to put out an announcement or a link from their original location....
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:31 am

Destination forums are now in the forum jump list.

A global announcement is up.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Moineau
You certainly can't forget us, and thank you for not doing so! But this is problematical, Australia is both a continent and a country, and my neighbours in the Pacific might feel a little miffed by having "Australia" as the main heading.

I certainly didn't mean to lump everyone else under 'Australia'. That would be as bad as putting 'Canada' under 'the US'.

In my ramblings I apparently didn't ramble long enough to include Oceania. No oversight was intended, and apologies to any Kiwis or others I may have offended.

(New destinations do look good!)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Ive looked all over the site w/o this link I just cant fin dit where is it hiding so that I can look at it w/o having to go via this link everytime????

tia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.