Request for a Seattle Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Request for a Seattle Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Two threads per week doesn't seem a sustainable forum. If it has a disproportionate number of FTers and a large number of dos (which belong in a different forum anyway), why doesn't this translate into activity in the appropriate regional forum?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Two threads per week doesn't seem a sustainable forum. If it has a disproportionate number of FTers and a large number of dos (which belong in a different forum anyway), why doesn't this translate into activity in the appropriate regional forum?
Perhaps because there isn't a cookbook for the recipes.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Dovster
I dunno. If if it had not been for Sleepless in Seattle and Frasier, I never would have heard of the city.

Shouldn't we wait until a geographical location is the site of at least 10 successful movies or TV series before giving it its own forum?
You know, I haven't watch Sleepless in Seattle movie before. I never watch it very often. I am not interested for me at all. Besides, I think you have find something else.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A brilliant idea. ^
I think it's sounds good idea!! They will consider it. Let's do it to creation new Seattle forum.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by N830MH
You know, I haven't watch Sleepless in Seattle movie before.
It will bring tears to your eyes. Then you can do down to Kell's in Post Alley and have a pint.

If we can have a San Francisco forum, I can't see why a Seattle forum can't have a test drive, just like when the Talk Board approved the Senior forum for a test drive. If it doesn't have the traffic after 6 months, shut it down.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by tom911
It will bring tears to your eyes. Then you can do down to Kell's in Post Alley and have a pint.

If we can have a San Francisco forum, I can't see why a Seattle forum can't have a test drive, just like when the Talk Board approved the Senior forum for a test drive. If it doesn't have the traffic after 6 months, shut it down.
I believe that a SEA Forum will generate more interest than the short-lived Senior Forum. @:-)
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I believe that a SEA Forum will generate more interest than the short-lived Senior Forum. @:-)
As a senior, I am somewhat uncomfortable with the adjective "short-lived". It does not provide me with an optimistic prognosis.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Sleepless in Seattle.. its a good movie..

So Seattle a standalone forum.. imo, the state should be its own forum to better navigate the info.. with Seattle in the state forum.. sort of like Orlando, in the Florida forum..
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
"The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?"
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This forum has my vote. I used to live in Seattle, so it will always have a soft spot in my heart.

(And my personal threshold for forums opening (and closing) is much lower than others, I think.)

I've also started a thread in the private forum and will be making a formal proposal after the 48-hour waiting period.

There may be some TB members who may want you to make a case aligned to the guidelines posted above and since establishment of the forum requires 5 of the remaining 8 votes, it probably behooves those who want this forum to try to do so.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:36 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I wouldn't be opposed to a Washington State forum or a Pacific NW forum, but I really think that Seattle is more identifiable and could include the surrounding areas...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Now you get it. My vote for a separate NW including BC forum. There are enuf of us around to support something like that.

Originally Posted by goalie
One thing I thought about when voting to approve the Texas forum was would there be a run of requests for an "XXX city/state forum" and not that it is a bad thing at all but in this case, would it phud for thought to perhaps make it a Seattle & Vancouver forum? Yes there is a Canada Forum (with a sub forum of Toronto) but with these 2 cities being close neighbors and all. Just a thought (and to muddy the waters even more, Portland, Oregon is not that far away either). I dunno, maybe a "Great Northwest" forum?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
In support of a NW forum, I can only point you to the current Capt Denny thread in community which is turning into one of the larger Do s.

In support, the local communities both in SEA and PDX are larger than one suspects. We are lost among the West however you define it. There is now a small group attempting MRs from PDX and SEA with others in the same area. Recently I met a new FTer in FRA at her 1st Do who had been in SEA for 3 years and had difficulty finding others.

I have a distribution list in excess of 100 identifiable FTers who live in the Portland Metro
Area. Long haul business traffic is high from both cities. The number in SEA is even larger. People ask questions in other forums because our corner of the earth is lumped in with a much larger area.

Capt Denny's remark last night during a phone call was that UA was amazed by the response when they tried the 1same thing in DTW the turn out was abysmal. Just go to community and look for Capt Denny January 21, 22 PDX

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...22-2012-a.html
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The Pacific Northwest is a destination location, where many travel for leisure and a get away..

I certainly would use such a forum for my own personal travels.. the west coast is vast and there is alot to learn..
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Seattle itself is just a bit too small of a destination IMHO to warrant its own forum. However, the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, and perhaps including BC and western MT) is large enough and distinct enough from the West/Mountain West that I would be inclined to support a dedicated forum for it.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I wouldn't be opposed to a Washington State forum or a Pacific NW forum, but I really think that Seattle is more identifiable and could include the surrounding areas...
I think I can do identifiable is Washington State Forum or Seattle Forum but, I actual will be called Seattle/Tacoma Forum. Whether who will have decide to choose the title. I think it's called Washington State is real proper name.

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Sleepless in Seattle.. its a good movie..
Really? Why? I thought the movie was so terrible. How come? I didn't watch it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.