Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Request for a Seattle Forum

Request for a Seattle Forum

Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by AJLondon
How about something like

US Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Portland and other Washington / Oregon)
As I posted upthread, I think you would have to include Vancouver not only because it's "around the corner" from Seattle but imho, I think folks from Vancouver would feel slighted if "left out" which is why I would go with something like "The Great Northwest (SEA,PDX,YVR)"
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Does that not run the risk of confusion between the US destinations forums and the rest of the world destinations forums (which contain the Canada forums)? It would seem to make unclear where questions about BC should be posted - in the US destination forum or in the Canada destination forum. I'm not sure it would be intuitive to many non-Americans to ask about BC in the US forum.
The confusion is understandable; I was hesitant to suggest including BC, but many people do consider YVR to be part of the same region. Due to the FlyerTalk forum organizational structure, though, perhaps it's best to leave BC out of it.

Of course, discussion about YVR may come up within the context of a SEA trip (i.e. "I'll be picking up a car in SEA, sightseeing the area, and driving to YVR"), but that is really no different than someone posting that they're picking up a car in SFO (San Francisco forum), driving to LAX (Los Angeles forum), heading to Vegas (Las Vegas forum), and returning in PHX (West forum). That stuff happens already, and somehow we deal with it. I think.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by AJLondon
How about something like

US Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Portland and other Washington / Oregon)
I think it's great idea to called Seattle, Portland & Other Washington State / Oregoin.

I can agree with you.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:24 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Why not just Washington State and Oregon?

The U.K. & Ireland Forum isn't named "London and the rest of U.K., plus Ireland"

It isn't "Boston and the rest of New England"

There's no "Honolulu and the rest of Hawaii"
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by lo2e
Why not just Washington State and Oregon?

The U.K. & Ireland Forum isn't named "London and the rest of U.K., plus Ireland"

It isn't "Boston and the rest of New England"

There's no "Honolulu and the rest of Hawaii"
Bolding mine: Actually, if you grew up in Boston, it is <ducking> but I still think because of its proximity, Vancouver needs to be included
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jackal
The confusion is understandable; I was hesitant to suggest including BC, but many people do consider YVR to be part of the same region. Due to the FlyerTalk forum organizational structure, though, perhaps it's best to leave BC out of it.

Of course, discussion about YVR may come up within the context of a SEA trip (i.e. "I'll be picking up a car in SEA, sightseeing the area, and driving to YVR"), but that is really no different than someone posting that they're picking up a car in SFO (San Francisco forum), driving to LAX (Los Angeles forum), heading to Vegas (Las Vegas forum), and returning in PHX (West forum). That stuff happens already, and somehow we deal with it. I think.
+1.

BTW - Wikipedia considers the Pacific Northwest to be WA, OR, & ID.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
+1.

BTW - Wikipedia considers the Pacific Northwest to be WA, OR, & ID.

Cheers.
I'm not sure how you get that from this article. Especially look at the bolded part.

Originally Posted by wikipedia
The Pacific Northwest, also known as Cascadia [1] [2] is a region in northwestern North America, bounded by the Pacific Ocean to the west and, loosely, by the Rocky Mountains on the east.

Definitions of the region vary and there is no commonly agreed upon boundary, even among Pacific Northwesterners.[3]

A common concept of the Pacific Northwest includes the U.S. states of Oregon, Washington and Idaho, as well as the Canadian province of British Columbia and territory of the Yukon.[4] This definition is often restricted further to include only the coastal areas west of the crest of the Cascade Mountains and Canadian Coast Mountains. Broader definitions of the region may even include the state of Alaska. [5] and may reach east to the Rocky Mountains.[4]

Definitions based on the historic Oregon Country reach east to the Continental Divide, thus including nearly all of Idaho and parts of western Montana and western Wyoming. Sometimes the Pacific Northwest is defined as being the Northwestern United States, wholly in the United States. Often these definitions are made by government agencies whose scope is limited to the United States.[6]

Some definitions include, in addition to Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia, Southeast Alaska, western Montana, the coast of northern California and a small part of northwestern Wyoming.[7] The term "Pacific Northwest" should not be confused with the Northwest Territory (also known as the Great Northwest, a historic term in the United States) or the Northwest Territories of Canada.
Besides, give me a minute and I'll go make the article say it's ONLY WA and OR and then you can quote it again.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
Seattle itself is just a bit too small of a destination IMHO to warrant its own forum. However, the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, and perhaps including BC and western MT) is large enough and distinct enough from the West/Mountain West that I would be inclined to support a dedicated forum for it.
Agreed. ^
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does that not run the risk of confusion between the US destinations forums and the rest of the world destinations forums (which contain the Canada forums)? It would seem to make unclear where questions about BC should be posted - in the US destination forum or in the Canada destination forum. I'm not sure it would be intuitive to many non-Americans to ask about BC in the US forum.
The Canada description can be adjusted to allow for BC posts in a PacNW forum...
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
So if that case, shoudn't the PacNW forum sit within The World, rather than the US destination forum? It would be counter intuitive and potentially insulting to include questions about Canada in the US - but it would be hard to argue that the US does not form part of the World.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So if that case, shoudn't the PacNW forum sit within The World, rather than the US destination forum? It would be counter intuitive and potentially insulting to include questions about Canada in the US - but it would be hard to argue that the US does not form part of the World.

It's only insulting to those who are easily insulted. @:-)
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:09 pm

I think Pacific Northwest would go in the US section, and I don't see a need for a pointing from Canada to it. I'm guessing the Canadians would prefer not to be annexed

I also think that "Pacific Northwest" is fine for a title, and doesn't need to have a description regarding which states or cities it encompasses. The other US regions don't have one. People have a general sense of the regions in the US.

Sure, there might be a bit of overlap or one thinks something is included in one that might be in another, but overall it works. I don't think this forum needs a detailed description anymore than the others do.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Pacific Northwest would go in the US section, and I don't see a need for a pointing from Canada to it. I'm guessing the Canadians would prefer not to be annexed

I also think that "Pacific Northwest" is fine for a title, and doesn't need to have a description regarding which states or cities it encompasses. The other US regions don't have one. People have a general sense of the regions in the US.

Sure, there might be a bit of overlap or one thinks something is included in one that might be in another, but overall it works. I don't think this forum needs a detailed description anymore than the others do.

Cheers.
Sharon, you are incorrect. If you go to the Travel and Destination forums, every single one of the United States regions has a line beneath it describing which states are included.

I'm starting to think that the cleanest option would be to annex Pacific Northwest from West and simply include Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.

I'd like to get some feedback from those who first came to us, though, although I think there'll be some unhappiness that we may not consider Seattle enough of a draw to have its own sub-forum.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Sharon, you are incorrect. If you go to the Travel and Destination forums, every single one of the United States regions has a line beneath it describing which states are included.

I'm starting to think that the cleanest option would be to annex Pacific Northwest from West and simply include Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.

I'd like to get some feedback from those who first came to us, though, although I think there'll be some unhappiness that we may not consider Seattle enough of a draw to have its own sub-forum.
Rich, you're right. The reason I didn't catch the descriptions is I clicked on the individual forums (which had no line item descriptions) before I posted & not the general header Travel-Destination: US, which brings up all of the forums in the U.S & then the individual line item descriptions.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:59 pm

Cheers.
We could always go to war with Canada again and this time just take it

But seriously, I agree with the "Pacific Northwest" but I still think that Vancouver should be included and if going along the lines that WA,OR and ID are by default part of the Pacific Northwest, I could see calling the forum "Pacific Northwest (including YVR)"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.