Wiki Posts
Search

How to de-marginalize the TB and create more opportunities for collaboration

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Actually, it gets ridiculous when not enough time is given to getting the wording correct, voting starts, and then someone points out a problem with the wording. I'd rather TB spent time getting it right first than spend time chucking things at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Some of us care about FT, and don't want change for change sakes' - we want change which will improve the experience, not inadvertently make it worse as the implications for a motion were not thought through first.

We've had situations where something has been voted and then had to be reworded because it was cocked up - it isn't pretty.
Completely agree it wasn't pretty to see a motion pass yet upon further review and wordsmithing see the second motion on the matter fail after some TBers changed their minds between the two votes.

This doesn't mean only votes that have a chance of passing come to the public as that sort of compromising can create gridlock but rather motions made be carefully vetted for the language used and that the excecution is correct the first time.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, 5 days is way to fast. I go on 4-night camping trip & music festivals a couple of times a year...2 weeks is good for multiple reasons, IMHO:

1) Travel Schedules

2) Some TB members, in the past, have been a little too quick to get motions made and seconded without even thinking about them - and some motions have been made & seconded with adequate time for member commentary - 2 weeks allows for this.

3) Not be accused of being slow (because I usually do vote within a week), but is there anything that's that relevant than additional few days is going to make that much of a difference? Really?

Last edited by bhatnasx; Dec 20, 2011 at 9:50 pm Reason: See Sharon's note below! :)
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
FWIW, 5 days is way to slow. I go on 4-night camping trip & music festivals a couple of times a year...2 weeks is good for multiple reasons, IMHO:

1) Travel Schedules

2) Some TB members, in the past, have been a little too quick to get motions made and seconded without even thinking about them - and some motions have been made & seconded with adequate time for member commentary - 2 weeks allows for this.

3) Not be accused of being slow (because I usually do vote within a week), but is there anything that's that relevant than additional few days is going to make that much of a difference? Really?
I agree with your 3 points, but do think you meant to say in your first sentence before the 3 points, "way too fast", not "way too slow", but correct me if I'm wrong. It's late. I could be.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Dovster
The specific thread to which I referred occured in 2005 -- 6 years ago.

I could cite other, later, threads in which the pettiness of some moderators was evident.

In one case, at least two mods came onto the thread to express their disgust at what others had posted. I know that both you and Randy were familiar with this particular thread as you both posted on it.

To be absolutely clear neither one of you was involved in the gossiping and sniping in this thread and, in fact, Randy stopped it.

Still, the very fact that it existed, and the moderators who were the most offensive remained moderators for years afterwards, shows that personal attacks, which were made where 80+ mods could read them, did not result in any action being taken against the mods involved.

That thread, like the one I mentioned earlier, and others which I could cite, demonstrate to me why I believe that even the best moderators would not like to have the warts revealed.

That being said, I do believe that the change to only allowing moderators of a specific forum to see threads involving that forum was a major step towards cleaning up the private forum.
That you make these accusations is really offensive. You are a "journalist." If you want to make these claims, please list your sources.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
We've had situations where something has been voted and then had to be reworded because it was cocked up - it isn't pretty.
Well in truth that was one of my motions and I did get it wrong. However I wasn't allowed to fix the wording whilst the vote was on despite the intent being totally clear to everyone. This 'rule' was later changed to allow wording to be changed after voting started. Perhaps this depends on who has proposed a motion rather than what the mistake is?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

And yes, the 2 week timeframe DOES take into consideration the fact that TB members have 'real lives' & sometimes FT/TB isn't #1 on their agenda for the day or a few days, or they don't have internet access.

Recently I was off FT for a few days due to work; I know we have another TB member who is off for a few. And even if I have email/internet access, doesn't mean I can spend limited available time on FT. Reading all the threads for input and/or responding can take up quite a bit of time. And yes, there are times when TB members are w/o i-net, whether it be because they're on vacation (and not checking work or FT), or they're somewhere where i-net is not available (such as where I'll be next week & where a dif TB member was this summer).
Then honestly should you be standing as a member of TB? Mods are required to check FT daily (with some exception), how about the same self imposed requirement on TB members?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by obscure2k
That you make these accusations is really offensive. You are a "journalist." If you want to make these claims, please list your sources.
I think you know well that a journalist does not reveal his sources. I will be willing, however, to give SanDiego1K, if she so desires, enough information about each of these threads so that she can find them with a very quick search and read them for herself.

If she then desires to let anyone else see them, that will be up to her.

I purposely did not name anyone who did the gossiping and made the personal attacks but if she wishes to do so that would be something else.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:40 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Dovster
Let's be clear about exactly what that motion was. It was not gossip -- it involved a member (to be exact, a person who was a moderator at the time) who repeatedly made posts in TB Topics threads which resulted in those threads being shut down.

After this happened quite a few times, and the TB Topics moderators at the time did not take disciplinary action against him, but continued to lock otherwise valid threads, I felt that TB should take action in order to keep TB Topics from being basically shut down by this one member.

I suggested that we pass a motion blocking him from participating in TB Topics. As there were enough moderators on TB to stop any such action ("it is not in our purview") it would clearly be impossible to get the motion passed, so it was not made.
I'm sure the mods you are impinging could produce similar such justification for their acts too

Let's face it - you did exactly what you are alledging the mods did. You used a private forum to complain and snipe at a member who did not have access to that forum to see what was being written about him and what you were talking about was out of your responsibilty as a TB member, ergo, you were not acting as a TB member when you chose to attack this member in private. It wasn't the only time it happened on the private TB forum, it was just the most egregrious.

You can dress it up how you like - try to pretend it was for the good of TB - but what you did was no better than what you are accusing the mods of apparently doing.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Um, all of this happened six years ago?

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Dec 21, 2011 at 5:24 am
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Um, all of this happened six years ago?
Sadly, yes. Some people like to pick at a bone for years...

But it is a good reminder to bring us back to the present! Suitably rebuked
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
You used a private forum to complain and snipe at a member who did not have access to that forum to see what was being written about him and what you were talking about was out of your responsibilty as a TB member, ergo, you were not acting as a TB member when you chose to attack this member in private.
Whew! That is one heck of a run on sentence.

"In private"? Clearly not. If TB had been willing to take the step that I urged the motion would have been made public and with me as its sponsor.

Besides, the member knew about it immediately (as I was certain that he would). The private TB forum is about as leakproof as the private Mod forum.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:38 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
But then TB has been similarly bad at times, hasn't it Dovster? There was certainly that motion you wanted to make, and indeed which I offered to second, which, had it seen the light of day (and that is why I said I'd second it) would have caused much consternation when the members saw what or indeed who was the subject of conversation on the private forum and how it/they were being discussed.

Since you are busy revealing what you have seen - illicitly - on old threads from TT, perhaps it's also a good idea to delve into the mirkier side of TB, the stuff that some of the TB members wouldn't want revealed to the public? Incidents like that I am talking around above... or the times TB members lied on the public forum about what they had said/done on the private forum and if we tried to enlighten the membership, they used the 'confidentiality' clause to silence us?

I'm very sorry to drag up such ancient history... I consider it in the past and TB has thankfully moved on since then - but I do think that it's only fair to bring this up if you are castigating mods for their behaviour in the past, just to show that neither side has been without sin.
The TB has indeed been very naughty in the past in the private TB forum.

I think one thing that could make it better is to give all posters read-only access to the TB forum.

I think that should also happen for the private moderator forum.

Sunlight has an antiseptic effect.

Of course, we all know that will never happen, alas. Too many skeletons to be kept buried.

Luckily we do have a CD who is far more engaged and fair than the previous management was. ^

Not sure how any of this can make the TB more efficient, though....

Last edited by kokonutz; Dec 21, 2011 at 9:08 am
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:46 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I think one thing that could make it better is to give all posters read-only access to the TB forum.

I think that should also happen for the private moderator forum.
"Not happening. End of." -- DCI Gene Hunt

For the sake of TB's credibility, it's time to move on.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by essxjay
"Not happening. End of." -- DCI Gene Hunt

For the sake of TB's credibility, it's time to move on.
Your opinion. Clearly not koko's. Possibly not mine.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: HH Silver
Let's concentrate on how we can make the thing work better in the future, rather than pick over old scrawny bones.
Agree. Time to move on folks and work for the present & future not wallow in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.