Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should there be a forum or threads or <insert your idea> for moderation feedback?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should there be a forum or threads or <insert your idea> for moderation feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by kipper
Why do mods not want the threads? I realize that in some forums, the threads will have very little, if any activity, and as such, will very quickly drop from the first page when one views the forum.

Others will be very active, and others will see moderate activity.

I'm with koko, in that I don't see what the downside is of giving people a place to post their questions or concerns about moderation of a specific forum. If the forum "doesn't need one," then the thread will sit without use.
And that would be a perfect example of why I don't want to get too involved in this.

You immediately turn around and accuse us of not wanting the threads, after I've predicted that would happen, but did not actually say anywhere in my post that was the feeling.

Thanks for proving my point.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I am open to RSSrsvp's opinion that they may not be right for each forum. My response is: isn't that better decided by the posters of that forum by their use or non-use of it, rather than having the forum's moderators speak on behalf of all of that forum's posters?

So, yes, I am utterly open to a dialogue on all aspects of this proposal. But, as always, I'm not just to going to accept opinions without questioning and exploring them, typically from the perspective of empowering the posters as much as possible to create the best FlyerTalk we can be.

So what you are saying is that you COULD answer this question...it's just that you don't care to?
I have my reasons as to why it can be a bad idea. But as kipper has just completely proved my point, I don't see the point of even attempting that dialogue, as it will only be misconstrued.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:52 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I have my reasons as to why it can be a bad idea. But as kipper has just completely proved my point, I don't see the point of even attempting that dialogue, as it will only be misconstrued.
Well if you are not even willing to discuss your specific concerns it is impossible for anyone to consider them...or take them into account.

So I am left still waiting for someone, anyone to articulate a down-side to this proposal.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:55 pm

There have been several down sides articulate to this proposal. You appear to be ignoring the ones out there already.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

There have been several down sides articulate to this proposal. You appear to be ignoring the ones out there already.
Help me out here.

A forum for moderation discussion is a bad idea, a thread is better: criticism accepted.

A sticky is too intrusive: criticism accepted.

The only other comment I have seen (several times) is that it should be up to the moderator to decide if and what kind of moderation feedback thread should be on 'their' forum. That's an opnion, not a down-side. And I simply respectfully disagree with this opinion based on a few reasons:
1) The posters can decide for themselves if the thread is needed by use or non-use
2) It may well be that the forums that could make the most use of such a thread have mods unwilling to allow one
3) There should be consistent and transparent opportunity for collaborative poster feedback on the day-to-day management of FT across all forums because to do otherwise will lead to confusion, misunderstandings and ill feelings

If I have missed any articulated down-sides to this proposal please do me a favor and point them out to me. I am open to the notion that my reading is indeed overly-selective.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:09 pm

The one size fits all approach being pushed here.

How does a thread to discuss the (visible) 4-5 moderation actions I make a year in the VS forum actually help, when the members already feel they can raise concerns with me?

How does having a thread to discuss the moderation of the Antarctica forum actually help at all?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

How does a thread to discuss the (visible) 4-5 moderation actions I make a year in the VS forum actually help, when the members already feel they can raise concerns with me?

How does having a thread to discuss the moderation of the Antarctica forum actually help at all?
Have you considered the possibility that the folks on VS forum might (just might!) welcome and enjoy the opportunity for collaborative input if it was provided? You seem very confident, but how can you know what is in their minds?

And if the thread is of no use to the posters there then it will quietly fade off the front page an into oblivion. Nothing lost for the effort or opportunity.

And even if so, how about one day when you are no longer the benevolent moderator of VS. Perhaps then such a thread would have more utility and it will be there for the posters then.

Again, I see no down-side to offering posters this opportunity in each forum over a 'one-size-does-not-fit-all' complaint.

Only up-side in terms of consistency and opportunity as the posters will make the thread fit however they see fit (even if that means ignoring it!)
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I seriously take issue with this statement. You are fully aware that there are decisions made by moderators that we are not allowed to discuss in public! You are trying to take o2k's comments, changing the context of same to your advantage when what o2k has posted is totally appropriate!!!
Now I am completely confused. As far as I know, 02K did, indeed, discuss her decision in public. In fact, she did so on the thread she closed:

As many on the Delta Forum know, DLNYC passed away this weekend.
I am sorry to report that DLNYC has passed away
Let this great thread stand alone as an example of DLNYC's wit and sense of irony.
Thank you for your understanding as I lock the thread in Memoriam to our Flyertalk/Delta Friend. May he Rest in Peace. May his Mother and other family members know how much we will always appreciate his contributions.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Moreover, if you look at the "Premature Evacuation" thread, you will see that nobody asked why the thread was closed. There was no need to -- O2K had given her reason.

Two posters, however, stated that they felt it would be a better memorial to the OP to allow the thread to keep open instead fading into oblivion.

Given all of that, how can this fall into the category of decisions "we are not allowed to discuss in public"?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Upon reflection....would it help to have a threshold of activity on a forum to implement the forum moderation thread?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
Now I am completely confused. As far as I know, 02K did, indeed, discuss her decision in public. In fact, she did so on the thread she closed:

Moreover, if you look at the "Premature Evacuation" thread, you will see that nobody asked why the thread was closed. There was no need to -- O2K had given her reason.

Two posters, however, stated that they felt it would be a better memorial to the OP to allow the thread to keep open instead fading into oblivion.

Given all of that, how can this fall into the category of decisions "we are not allowed to discuss in public"?
Dov, that was not what kokonutz implied by the post copied below.

In fact, looking at the DL thread today, it appears that not even every mod of the DL forum has the same view of allowing collaborative feedback in that thread.
My comments to kokonutz didn't have to do with the fact that o2k did make a comment on the closed thread but that kokonutz was implying that o2k wasn't willing to give any feedback which as you can see is totally misleading.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upon reflection....would it help to have a threshold of activity on a forum to implement the forum moderation thread?
By the way, this might come as a shock to you but the DL thread we have been referencing to in many of our posts was not started by a moderator. It was started by RobertS975 a longtime member of the board. At the time the DL mods made the decision to keep the thread open even though we could have simply closed it as per the TOS.

Therefore and not to open a Pandora's Box, I submit to you that any FT member could simply start a similar thread on any forum and if that board's moderators feel that it is appropriate they can simply leave it open. This would not require any action by the TB. @:-)
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Have you considered the possibility that the folks on VS forum might (just might!) welcome and enjoy the opportunity for collaborative input if it was provided? You seem very confident, but how can you know what is in their minds?
Just as any successful business knows, listening to and providing channels of feedback on customer service is key. It sounds like some mods are opposed to any effort to give them constructive feedback. If for example the VS forum was pleased with the moderation and gave examples why you'd think the moderator would love that feedback @:-)

Which leads to....

"done in the dark of night" comment that is highly inflammatory.

They do moderate their forums and look for rule violations. They may delete and edit posts and close threads without notice. They may discipline and suspend members who fail to adhere to the rules (see Discipline and Appeal for more information).

On-board discussion of moderator decisions - including post deletions and member discipline - is not allowed and will be removed. Members will also be subject to disciplinary action. Similarly, posts announcing a member's return to FlyerTalk after a suspension or ban are not allowed. If you have a question about a moderator action, contact the moderator directly or Carol (SanDiego1k).
With much respect to RSSrsvp, comments such as first line are the result of the two harshly worded red paragraphs you cite. The lack of transparency, lack of ways to even get a reason why something was edited/removed/locked lead to dark of night type comments.

Example: I have a PM from a moderator threatening to suspend me for "stalking" if I make another response to a question about their actions. Having the ability to (politely & respectfully) discuss the situation in a dedicated thread of moderation would provide a more neutral forum to resolve the issue while educating the larger FlyerTalk community about the decision making process. This greater understanding from both sides will improve our community and reduce the need for moderator intervention in other threads.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

With much respect to RSSrsvp, comments such as first line are the result of the two harshly worded red paragraphs you cite. The lack of transparency, lack of ways to even get a reason why something was edited/removed/locked lead to dark of night type comments.

Example: I have a PM from a moderator threatening to suspend me for "stalking" if I make another response to a question about their actions. Having the ability to (politely & respectfully) discuss the situation in a dedicated thread of moderation would provide a more neutral forum to resolve the issue while educating the larger FlyerTalk community about the decision making process. This greater understanding from both sides will improve our community and reduce the need for moderator intervention in other threads.
I simply quoted what appears in the TOS which we are instructed to follow as mods. Please don't shoot the messenger!

If you receive a PM from a moderator that states you are stalking another member this is a discussion that should be held in private between that forum's moderators and you. It is simply not fair to the other member involved to have a public dialogue and you know it. If you are not happy with the result you can always appeal to SanDiego1k who is as fair as they come. However I always fall back on the saying, where there is smoke there is fire. I have had several cases over the years where people have stalked other members and were in total denial when confronted by a moderator. @:-)
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
My comments to kokonutz didn't have to do with the fact that o2k did make a comment on the closed thread but that kokonutz was implying that o2k wasn't willing to give any feedback which as you can see is totally misleading.
I don't like speaking for kokonutz but I believe he was referring to the post O2K made on the "Premature" thread in which she said she would not discuss her decision on the thread but would by PM.

Quite honestly, I found her post odd as nobody had asked her to discuss her decision. She had explained why she closed the other thread and two posters simply expressed their opinions that it would have been a better memorial to leave it open.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
While I have seen all sorts of strong reactions and conspiracy theories around this proposal, what I have yet to see articulated or demonstrated is a down-side to this proposal. What is so 'bad' about allowing posters to have collaborative input on how their favorite forums are managed on a day-to-day basis?
One could make a similar observation from the counter perspective:
While I have seen all sorts of strong assertions and claimed benefits around this proposal what I have yet to see articulated or demonstrated is a significant upside to this proposal. What is so 'bad' about encouraging posters to utilize the current available modes of communication to provide input on how their favorite forums are managed on a day-to-day basis?
Calls for greater transparency, accountability and other populist 'goods' imply those attributes are somehow missing or deficient in current forum management. Are they really? And why is more normatively better than the levels we've got?

Originally Posted by kipper
Let's start with the TS/S split. Not specific moderator action or decisions, but that was, for the most part, done in the dark of night, without telling most posters.

Yes, TOS currently says that specific moderator actions cannot be discussed. My point is that because specific moderator actions cannot be discussed, it is all done in the dark of night. Isn't that pretty much the definition of it? No one can know what happens, because the TOS prohibits it. How would you describe it?
I think you're conflating the prohibition on discussing specific actions such as post edits/deletions, mod-to-member PMs, individual member warnings and suspensions with discussion about forum management tools (such as splitting). To be fair, few members ask about the latter because they don't realize that there's a distinction or where the the line might be. I personally don't mind answering PMs about why I moved, merged, renamed or closed threads or why we chose to split TS/S, but only to the extent that I can without violating the directive on member privacy, i.e. disciplinary action.

For the record, prior to shuttering TS/S for reorganization we posted a sticky about it, stating the dates of closure and our reasons for the split. To characterize that notice as 'dark of night' activity puzzles me. Additionally, there is precedent for mod discretion in temporarily closing, splitting or merging forums -- OMNI (by Randy back in 20xx), OMNIlite/PR (more recently) and Midwest/Frontier (by me in August), respectively, come to mind. TS/S is not a special case because of the resulting uproar, it was a hotbed of discontent to begin with.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.