Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

I intend to run for President of the TalkBoard and I am going to tell you why.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I intend to run for President of the TalkBoard and I am going to tell you why.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tcook052
+1

This TB, it seems, has enough macro subjects to debate without one more.
It's said that if you throw enough mud at a wall, some of it will stick. Well, all I know is that if I throw enough food on a plate, some hungry creature will eventually eat something on it no matter how bad a cook/"hamburger flipper" I may be.

I really do appreciate the TB candidate spirit of activism, full plate or not.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Dov narrated the start of some "action" near the Israeli border as the artillery shells & rockets were headed his way.
Yes, I realized that after I did a search for it. I remember the thread, although I didn't remember the title of it.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by essxjay
If I've handled something badly, improperly or maliciously, the history of communication between me and the member will bear that out. If you're specifically referring to how suspensions are reviewed, here's the TOS:
Appeal - link to this guideline
Discipline imposed by an administrator shall be final when imposed. If discipline was imposed by a volunteer moderator, the disciplined member may appeal to the administrator within 20 days of imposition. The appeal shall set forth the details of the discipline imposed, including the moderator's stated reasons for it and a concise statement of basis of the member's appeal. To request an appeal, submit an email via the Contact Us page, and select "Appeal Suspension" from the pull down menu. The administrator's decision on the appeal shall be final when communicated to the member.
Fair question.

Appeals are handled via email. Sometimes a member will copy mods in their appeal but I've rarely been privy to exchanges beyond the initial suspension. Carol (as Randy did) might ask mods for additional info or clarification and this has been done mostly via PM although occasionally via email.

It's up to Carol to convey what she does after it's out of my hands.
Thanks for both answers ^
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I have learned that essxjay is female and Markie is male. I always assumed the opposite was true. I don't know why.
Personally I'm glad we've storted that out

Originally Posted by nsx
This is way off topic, Dov, but in my experience an ultra-high post count often signals poor quality of post content.
Yes I'd like to see the removal of all titles to remove the danger of anyone chasing one.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
You're on! I have many ideas for recommendations the TB could consider generated from this thread alone. I'm sure many other posters have ideas, too.

I am trying to decide if I should break them all out into separate discussion threads like I did with the 'Should there be a forum or threads or <insert your idea> for moderation feedback?' thread or just do a single 'TOS review' thread to start.

Of course, I could just do a redline edit of the TOS to the form and policies *I* think make sense as a start, but that would not be very collaborative, starting from a baseline of koko-world...

Thoughts?
I'd like you to get on with something. I wonder how useful this thread is after 8 pages.

Last edited by Markie; Dec 7, 2011 at 11:06 pm
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Markie
Yes I'd like to see the removal of all titles to remove the danger of anyone chasing one.
I, too, would like to see the removal of all titles (and have said so many times) but not for the same reason.

FT is, by its very nature, already status-crazy. It does not need titles to emphasize that fact.

Get rid of all titles, including official ones. If I want to know what the rooms are like at the Hilton in Frankfurt, it doesn't mean a thing that the person who responds is a TalkBoard member or a moderator on the Delta Forum.

When someone is posting in his official capacity, he certainly should be allowed to emphasize that fact in his signature (as many mods already do) but when he is being "first and foremost a member" the title is just an ego boost.

(More than that, I object on religious grounds to being an "Evangelist". If a title is necessary, I would prefer "Old Testament Prophet".)
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Markie
Logically, this would also require removal of post count display except on the profile page.

My guess: some people would add the missing information to their Programs text to evade the removal.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Dovster
I, too, would like to see the removal of all titles (and have said so many times) but not for the same reason.
That would work too!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by nsx
My guess: some people would add the missing information to their Programs text to evade the removal.
True, but at least that would prove they are obnoxious by choice and not simply as a result of the default setting of the software.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
I would love to find a way in which users could rate content so that the higher quality content could be displayed preferentially. However any system I've seen can be abused, and we all know that FTers are experts at gaming point systems.
Personally, I think there is no conclusion drawn on quality vs. quantity.. or questions asked for travel research purposes vs, material credible responses..

I think FT has done a good job of that in general compared to other forums who have multiple tier systems.. plus a glass ceiling of daily average post counts enforced by the moderators..
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
(More than that, I object on religious grounds to being an "Evangelist". If a title is necessary, I would prefer "Old Testament Prophet".)
Removal of any title is just a simple PM away... I know a few members who crossed the 10k post mark and asked how to remove the title.

VFT.de has a cute system: once you cross a certain post mark you can request a title. I chose 'Indernett Flyertalker'
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I think FT has done a good job of that in general compared to other forums who have multiple tier systems.. plus a glass ceiling of daily average post counts enforced by the moderators..
What are you talking about with your mention of a "glass ceiling of daily average post counts enforced by the moderators"?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What are you talking about with your mention of a "glass ceiling of daily average post counts enforced by the moderators"?
Moderators send a message saying do not exceed a daily average of 20 posts per day, if a FT member is approaching 20 or above.. using the TOS disruption clause as the rule enforced.. and further discipline is imposed if exceeded..
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:33 pm
Suspended

+1 I prefer FlyerTalk Prophet as well.. I'm a prophet in real life, not an evangelist.. although I always wanted to be an evangelist..

on second though, maybe its not too bad to be an evangelist.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Moderators send a message saying do not exceed a daily average of 20 posts per day, if a FT member is approaching 20 or above.. using the TOS disruption clause as the rule enforced.. and further discipline is imposed if exceeded..
I've never even HEARD of that technique. Presumably it would not be used if the members' posts were consistently valuable. It sounds like a way to impose a quantitative restriction due to the subjectivity of the qualitative restriction that's really needed. If anybody ever told me to reduce posting, I'd take a close look at my posting style. JMO.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Hi AM - seasons greetings to you from DownUnder, my friend - is there any chance you might share with us how you discovered this quirky rule?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.