Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Do TB member get any undisclosed perks from IB or travel companies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do TB member get any undisclosed perks from IB or travel companies?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Mary2e
But a stipend isn't a perquisite

You do realize that by not answering the question being asked, you're answering it, right?
Actually, I'm letting the OP answer it, since he brought it up.

I don't think there's much more to read into this.

Originally Posted by Dovster
In other words, it is SSI, right?
No, it's respecting the wishes of the Community Director, as we've been asked to do. It's unfortunate that some are either unable or unwilling to do so.

Then again, it seems like the same small group that had trouble respecting Randy's wishes on this subject has chronic difficulty with it.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Spiff
Actually
No, it's respecting the wishes of the Community Director, as we've been asked to do.
The Community Director has asked you not to reveal whether or not mods are getting pay or perks?

Or do you mean that the Community Director has asked you not to reveal anything at all about how the mods operate, which would, indeed, be the equivalent of the TSA's SSI.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:06 pm

The Community Director has asked you not to reveal whether or not mods are getting pay or perks?
This is the TalkBoard forum, not the moderator forum.

Not only is such a question off-topic here, it should be directed to the Community Director, as she's requested regarding questions about moderators and moderator action.

I trust you know how to use PM and/or email.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:12 pm

I trust you know how to use PM and/or email.
The problem with PM or e-mail is that if I should get a reply, I would still be the only one who knew the answer. As demonstrated by other posts in this thread, I am not the only member who would like to know.

Frankly, I have never been able to understand the reasoning behind the secrecy vis-a-vis moderation and its policies. (Yes, I can understand not wanting personal attacks made on moderators, but that is a different matter completely.)
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:19 pm

The problem with PM or e-mail is that if I should get a reply, I would still be the only one who knew the answer. As demonstrated by other posts in this thread, I am not the only member who would like to know.
Others who wish to ask this or similar question are able to do the same thing if they so choose. In fact, it's the same venue that Randy and now Carol have been pretty clear about asking people to use. It's pretty clear that a small group of people just can't seem to follow directions no matter how clearly stated those directions are.

Frankly, I have never been able to understand the reasoning behind the secrecy vis-a-vis moderation and its policies.
Yeah. We know. Pity you need to continually bring it up, especially in a forum that has been very clearly identified as the wrong place to bring it up.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:23 pm

For the sake of clarification, I would very much hope that moderaters are being paid -- but by Internet Brands, not by any businesses which are being discussed in the forums they moderate.

If they are receiving any pay or perks from any business discussed on FT (even if that is not on a forum which they moderate) that should be announced when and if they run for TalkBoard. It might well place them in a conflict-of-interest situation.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:24 pm

It's pretty clear that a small group of people just can't seem to follow directions no matter how clearly stated those directions are.
Yup, I have seen TSA screeners say the exact same thing on the TSS Forum.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:38 pm
Community Director Emerita

Let me speak to the issue as regards the moderators. Much to do is being made about very little.

The moderators recently held their 13th workshop in Boston. They now occur once per year. The moderators who are able to attend give up a weekend to gather together for a workshop where they share forum best practices, learn about board moderation tools, work through case studies, and receive updates and assistance from Internet Brands. Moderators themselves provide the labor to prepare presentations, to be on panels, and to run the workshop. In other words, it's a full on work day. It's run as well as any corporate meeting in which I've participated.

Randy provided a stipend when he ran the meetings. Internet Brands now does this. This helps offset part of the out-of-pocket expenses associated with attending. It’s never come close to covering the total expenses – but that’s indicative of the commitment of our volunteer corps of moderators. They give up a weekend to travel and attend (some from as far as Europe and Asia), and bear the majority of the costs themselves. They do that to develop their skills so they can better help each one of you.

On some occasions, airline and hotel programs have donated ‘door prizes’ that are given away to attending moderators via drawing. Over the years these have included a small number of miles, free hotel nights and hotel elite status. They are fairly nominal, but it's always fun to have your name drawn. It adds a little energy to the day. Last year, Randy pitched in a trip to the House of Miles, covering air fare and hotel. This year, mods themselves brought small gifts from their home city for a raffle.

That’s all there is to it. Anyone who signs up to be a moderator for the perqs of the once-a-year moderator workshop will quickly be disappointed. The workload far exceeds the perqs.

Since this is now asked and answered, I will close the thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.