Search

Motion Passed: "Amend TalkBoard Guidelines: Requirements for Motions to Pass"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Motion Passed: "Amend TalkBoard Guidelines: Requirements for Motions to Pass"

Moved by nsx and seconded by jackal:

The TalkBoard Guidelines have been interpreted to treat the Abstain option as a vote, which makes it the functional equivalent of a No vote. This treatment departs from Robert's Rules of Order:
The phrase "abstention votes" is an oxymoron, an abstention being a refusal to vote. To abstain means to refrain from voting, and, as a consequence, there can be no such thing as an "abstention vote."

In the usual situation, where either a majority vote or a two-thirds vote is required, abstentions have absolutely no effect on the outcome of the vote since what is required is either a majority or two thirds of the votes cast. On the other hand, if the vote required is a majority or two thirds of the members present, or a majority or two thirds of the entire membership, an abstention will have the same effect as a "no" vote. Even in such a case, however, an abstention is not a vote.
Some posters on TalkBoard Topics have argued that the current "participating in" wording is ambiguous, and one could imagine that a future President of the TalkBoard might attempt to apply a different interpretation. Previous TalkBoards have been unable to achieve a 2/3 vote for any clarification.

Therefore the TalkBoard recommends that the TalkBoard Guidelines be modified as follows to conform to standard terminology. Under this modification, a proposal will win approval with 2/3 of the yes or no votes but no less than a majority of the full TalkBoard membership. For example, a vote of 5 yes, 2 no, and 2 present but abstain would fail under the current interpretation but succeed under this proposal:
Section 4, paragraph C, sub-paragraphs ii, v, vi(b), and vii are replaced with the following text:

ii. TalkBoard members may register their selection of yes, no or present but abstain while the voting period is open.
v. Once a TalkBoard member registers a selection that selection is final.
vi.
b. all TalkBoard members have registered their selections.
vii. A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

This vote will close on August 8, 11 at 9:27 PM Pacific Time or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:
The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread.

A motion shall pass if two-thirds of TalkBoard members participating in that vote vote ‘yes.’
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm planning on voting against this motion.

I think FlyerTalk is generally a wonderful place and that it should require 2/3rds of the peope participating (whether it be yes, no, abstain) to vote yes to change it. So, an abstain is effectively a no, albeit the "coward's no" as some have come to refer to it. If someone believes in change, then vote for the motion. If not, then vote no. I think that an abstain is a "coward's" no - but I'd rather it be a coward's no than a cowards's yes when it comes to changing something on FlyerTalk.

If true reform is needed, let's just get rid of abstain...although I don't think reform is needed in this matter.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:03 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I think that an abstain is a "coward's" no - but I'd rather it be a coward's no than a cowards's yes when it comes to changing something on FlyerTalk.
I don't understand your assertion, bhatnasx. If this proposal passes, an abstention will become mathematically equivalent to missing the vote. An abstention will not count as a yes vote. Currently it counts as the mathematically equivalent of a No vote, and I believe that is unconventional and misleading to the membership.

If you favor elimination of the Abstain option you must admit that this proposal takes you part of the way to your goal. Again, it merely makes abstention count as if you didn't vote, which comports with common sense. Unlike the status quo.

Furthermore this proposal adds a protection against votes in which a significant number of TB members are absent. Currently a 4-2 vote with 3 non-voters would pass.

I submit that this proposal is an improvement in both these respects.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok - I was misunderstanding things...

So, is the only real change that a 5-2-2 would count, whereas previously it wouldn't?

I still think that if 2 are "on the fence" or choosing not to vote positively for something, then it may not be something that's worth passing.

Gotta think on it more...

Last edited by bhatnasx; Jul 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:47 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

A 5-2-2-Yes-No-Abstain would pass in this scenario whereas it wouldn't pass in the current world.
Correct, because Abstain currently = No. I think 5-2-2 is a highly positive vote, enough to pass.

A 4-2, with 3 people would not pass in the either scenario.
It would pass under current rules if the other 3 do not select Abstain but are actually absent from the vote. The current rule is "A motion shall pass if two-thirds of TalkBoard members participating in that vote vote ‘yes.’ " There is no minimum of 5 votes in the current rule. That would be added by this proposal.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:49 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So, is the only real change that a 5-2-2 would count, whereas previously it wouldn't?
Yes that's the only difference anyone is likely to see.

However the proposal also adds a safety net to prevent absurdities like passing a 2-1 vote when the other 6 were somehow totally absent.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:06 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Reasonable people disagree on whether a 5-2-2 vote should pass.

However I expect Abstain votes to become much less common if this proposal passes. Deprived of the option to vote "Soft No", TalkBoard members who are on the fence or who do not want to take the time to study the issue might step up and vote plain old "No". Reducing the number of abstentions is another benefit of this change, IMHO.

I predict that this change will completely eliminate instances of more than one abstention unless the abstentions are for conflict of interest reasons.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
A sensible compromise IMHO to more clearly define the TB Guidelines.

FWIW I was one who believed under the old fuzzy wording that casting an abstention constituted particpation in the ballot and as such absentions had to be counted in the majority. This rewording take away that ambiguity and so gets a ^ from this pedantic poster.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
However I expect Abstain votes to become much less common if this proposal passes. Deprived of the option to vote "Soft No", TalkBoard members who are on the fence or who do not want to take the time to study the issue might step up and vote plain old "No". Reducing the number of abstentions is another benefit of this change, IMHO.

I predict that this change will completely eliminate instances of more than one abstention unless the abstentions are for conflict of interest reasons.
I agree entirely. In a real life setting, someone with a conflict can sit there and just not vote at the end of the day and everyone knows they were there. Online, someone not voting looks like they were absent, but under the current rules they can't have their name marked as 'abstained' without it affecting the vote, and that doesn't seem right when the whole point of abstaining is that they are in conflict and shouldn't be allowed to affect the vote.

Also, using the abstain as a shielded 'no' vote is BS, and I'm glad this would be curtailed as well under the change. Don't want to take a side? Don't run for this, or any other, office.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:53 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by rehoult
Also, using the abstain as a shielded 'no' vote is BS, and I'm glad this would be curtailed as well under the change. Don't want to take a side? Don't run for this, or any other, office.
While I do see their purpose ultimately I'd like to see the abstention option done away with altogether as I also think TBers should be expected to form an opinion in the months most topics are tossed around and the weeks a ballot is open once a motion is made and seconded.

The next best thing IMHO would be to limit the number of abstentions each member can make per term.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by tcook052
While I do see their purpose ultimately I'd like to see the abstention option done away with altogether as I also think TBers should be expected to form an opinion in the months most topics are tossed around and the weeks a ballot is open once a motion is made and seconded.

The next best thing IMHO would be to limit the number of abstentions each member can make per term.
This is the position I favour, and until this is on the ballot I will be voting No to other changes. The reasons you give are exactly those that I hold - don't stand if you don't have an opinion, and if you don't have an opinion I have a spare one I can lend you.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
This returns the situation to where it was previously. It had been "changed" when the Guidelines were rewritten but, according to what Kokonutz (who wrote them) it was never his intention that this change take place. That was the interepretation given to it by Gleff, who was TB President at the time.

To be clear, let me give all the possibilities and the results if this passes:

6 people vote "yes" -- the motion will pass under all circumstances.

5 people vote "yes" -- the motion will be defeated unless 2 or more abstain or do not participate.

4 people vote "yes" -- the motion will be defeated unless 3 or more abstain or do not particpate.

3 people vote "yes" -- the motion will be defeated unless 5 or more abstain or do not participate.

2 people vote "yes" -- the motion will be defeated unless 6 or more abstain or do not participate.

1 person votes "yes" -- the motion will be defeated unless every other member of TalkBoard abstains or does not participate.

In real life, I only see this as having an impact when 5 vote yes and two or more abstain/don't participate and even that will be very rare.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:34 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Dovster, I think you're forgetting that part of this new motion is this:

a proposal will win approval with 2/3 of the yes or no votes but no less than a majority of the full TalkBoard membership
So your 4 yes, 3 yes, 2 yes, and 1 yes examples would NEVER pass if these rules are adopted.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by lo2e
Dovster, I think you're forgetting that part of this new motion is this:

So your 4 yes, 3 yes, 2 yes, and 1 yes examples would NEVER pass if these rules are adopted.
You are right, I did forget about that change.

Still, I doubt that those situations will ever come up.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
I thank nsx and jackal for following up on this issue. I urge the TB to vote Yes on this motion, as it clarifies ambiguous language and reverts the regulations to their intended interpretation.

I have not seen a convincing argument for why this motion should not be passed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.