Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: "Amend TalkBoard Guidelines: Requirements for Motions to Pass"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by jackal
For those (like Markie) who wish to see the abstain option go away entirely, how about supporting this proposal to "fix" the meaning of the word "abstain" (as well as adding in the useful language to require a majority of TalkBoard to support any proposal) and then proposing a separate motion to delete the "abstain" option? Then we can be sure to at least have something that makes sense, regardless of how that later vote goes.
Afraid not this time; cannot vote for something that is as wrong as what we've got now. If this were to pass - as it well might - the eye will go off the ball and the issue will quietly go away, whilst members of TB Abstain and continue to claim 'well I didn't vote against the proposal' when challenged. Making more bad rules isn't a real fix for a bad rule.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:55 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Markie
Afraid not this time; cannot vote for something that is as wrong as what we've got now. If this were to pass - as it well might - the eye will go off the ball and the issue will quietly go away, whilst members of TB Abstain and continue to claim 'well I didn't vote against the proposal' when challenged. Making more bad rules isn't a real fix for a bad rule.
It's correct that a partial fix reduces political pressure for a complete fix. I don't believe that a majority of the TB, let alone 2/3, supports removal of the Abstain option. IMHO it's this fix or no fix, and that will remain the case on future TalkBoards.

Reasonable people differ on whether one should vote no on half a loaf when the full loaf is not obtainable. It's principle vs. the practical. Idealists vote for what they want, and pragmatists vote for what they can get.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
The simple way to do this is establish a quorum for a minimum number of votes and then set a 2/3 or simple majority of votes requirement.

Bob H
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
In my opinion, an abstention shouldn't count as a vote. If 12 members are voting on a topic, with 7 yeas, 3 nays and 2 abstentions, that motion passes with 70%--at least that's the way it should be. A TB member wishing to oppose something should vote in the negative; an abstention is not the same, and should not count the same.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Microwave
In my opinion, an abstention shouldn't count as a vote.
Indeed. That's how the language works (except in TalkBoard land ) - an abstention is an abstention from the act of voting and if you don't vote you can't count what you didn't do as a vote. @:-)

If 12 members are voting on a topic, with 7 yeas, 3 nays and 2 abstentions, that motion passes with 70%--at least that's the way it should be. A TB member wishing to oppose something should vote in the negative; an abstention is not the same, and should not count the same.
Exactly. This needs to be written in large bold letters!

Two other ideas:

a) Amend the rules so that every TB member is presumed -- absent an explicit vote contrary -- to be voting for any motion. This would flush out some interesting stuff....

b) In an internet forum, and particularly one where the vote windows can be sooooo long, one assumes that all members are in fact "present" and there is a "quorum" therefore. Then make the no/no-go margin x percentage those who vote.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by nsx
Idealists vote for what they want, and pragmatists vote for what they can get.
I love it when you insult me with kindness - not been called an Idealist for a VERY long time. ^
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:03 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Markie
I love it when you insult me with kindness - not been called an Idealist for a VERY long time. ^
My very best friends are idealists. They like to dream big. It's a big part of what makes them so lovable!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am no fan of this motion and would much prefer a motion to "establish a quorum for a minimum number of votes and then set a 2/3" majority of votes requirement for a motion to pass.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am no fan of this motion and would much prefer a motion to "establish a quorum for a minimum number of votes and then set a 2/3" majority of votes requirement for a motion to pass.
Quorum is built into this proposal, as a motion can't pass with less than 5 'yes' votes.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
As DeaconFlyer indicated, this proposal actually does exactly what you suggest.

The effect would be a quorum of 5 TalkBoard members required to pass any motion (all five would have to support the motion, of course). That would actually be more stringent than the current procedure; right now, a motion could pass with 2 yeses, 1 no, and 6 non-voting members. Actually, come to think of it, a motion could pass with 1 yes and 8 non-voting members.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Quorum is built into this proposal, as a motion can't pass with less than 5 'yes' votes.
Yes, but amongst the items which I had failed to communicate earlier in this thread is the following: I prefer a quorum requirement that is greater than that which is part of this motion.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Yes, but amongst the items which I had failed to communicate earlier in this thread is the following: I prefer a quorum requirement that is greater than that which is part of this motion.
The quorum requirement of this motion would, in effect, translate to a 2/3 supermajority with a quorum of 7 TalkBoard members.

Would you propose something stricter than that? 2/3 of 8 or even all 9 TalkBoard members?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, after a lot of thinking on this one, I think I'm going to vote against it.

The reason I'm not supportive of it is becaue of the 5-2-2 factor. If 2 people are voting no & 2 people who are participating can't commit to a yes vote, then I don't think a motion should pass.

It should take a solid commitment to change FlyerTalk.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Personally- if using FT lingo- I may consider this motion a no-brainer.

If only TB could use as much time to develop FT - in terms of forums, changes that affects users etc- as knitpicking I for one would be happy.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
So, after a lot of thinking on this one, I think I'm going to vote against it.

The reason I'm not supportive of it is becaue of the 5-2-2 factor. If 2 people are voting no & 2 people who are participating can't commit to a yes vote, then I don't think a motion should pass.

It should take a solid commitment to change FlyerTalk.
70% 'Yes' votes isn't enough for you? Amazing that you think TB should have stricter standards than Congress does to amend the Constitution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.