Wiki Posts
Search

One more thing: TB Term Limits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Markie
Personally I volunteer in a number of areas - not just Flyertalk. I sit as an (unpaid) School Governor, (unpaid) Justice of the Peace, (unpaid) Assessor for Chartered Membership of the British Computer Society. I personally don't feel that any of your views, about being unpaid somehow making the experience wrong, to be true.
In short, you volunteer for local government offices and for a professional organization (to which, I presume, you belong).

That is fine and commendable. I do, however, see a great difference between that and if you had told me you do volunteer work as a claims adjuster for an insurance company, an engineer for BP, or a pilot for BA.

Frankly, if I put in an insurance claim, am a driller on an oil rig, or am a passenger of a plane, I would feel much more comfortable knowing that a professional whose income depends on him doing good work is the person on the job.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by Spiff
Note the bolded words. That's hardly speaking for someone else; it's a hypothesis.

I kind of wish some members would stop using this forum to complain about matters that are not TalkBoard's purview. I guess we can't always get what we want...
It seems we deserve the ones we elect

You might consider your wording posted as TB pres, might- just might give that impression. But of course you are technically correct. Main problem is however that you seem to not only understand but also defend the no-reply behaviour.

Originally Posted by Spiff
You're complaining in the wrong location (once again), and given your attitude, it may be the case (hypothesis) that your PM was ignored for a reason. @:-)

Dismissive of the membership? Hardly.

Dismissive of certain members due to their hostile, negative attitude? Sure.
You again make my and others point much better than I could have said it^

Hostile? I guess you either have more knowledge than me, or might be more sensitive?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've always wondered if a particular TB member had a keyboard shortcut for purview. Ctrl-P, perhaps?

I know I'm happy to discuss any topics, purview be damned -- if the CD doesn't appreciate that, I will be happy to be told that directly. By her.

There's a whole lot of history that suggests that the TB, in the past, discussed quite a bit more than forum creation and deletion. Arguing that something isn't in the purview of the TalkBoard stifles discussion and is only a response that's started in the last few years.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
I strongly disagree. Volunteers (be they mods or TB members) would be of absolutely no value if it were not for the thousands of members who post on a regular basis. They are the ones who provide FT's worth and are its real backbone.

Moreover, the posts they make do, indeed, have profit tied to them. They are to FT what tourist sites are to Venice -- without them, nobody would come and IB would have an empty "city" and no profits at all.

That being said, I would be the last to deny that mods do, in fact, work and should be paid for their labor. In fact, I will get just about everybody upset by making the following statements:

1. By working for free, the mods are cheapening themselves. They are, in essence, saying, "I don't get any money and that is exactly what I am worth."

2. When you and I subject our writing to the scrutiny, review, and possibly disciplinary action of unpaid volunteers, we are saying that what we post is not valuable enough to warrant handling by professionals.

3. When IB does not pay moderators, it is announcing that it does not care enough about the content of FT to pay the cost of having impartial professionals determine its quality.
Originally Posted by Dovster
In short, you volunteer for local government offices and for a professional organization (to which, I presume, you belong).

That is fine and commendable. I do, however, see a great difference between that and if you had told me you do volunteer work as a claims adjuster for an insurance company, an engineer for BP, or a pilot for BA.

Frankly, if I put in an insurance claim, am a driller on an oil rig, or am a passenger of a plane, I would feel much more comfortable knowing that a professional whose income depends on him doing good work is the person on the job.
We'll agree to disagree.. I think that FT wouldn't be possible without the endless hours volunteers put into the forum to make it work.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I've always wondered if a particular TB member had a keyboard shortcut for purview. Ctrl-P, perhaps?
Isn't CTRL-P as short cut for Player, as in team player, as in possessing and exercising the ability to work with others.

Apologies for singling this post out but this public sparing between TB members makes for very unpleasant reading.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Prospero
Isn't CTRL-P as short cut for Player, as in team player, as in possessing and exercising the ability to work with others.

Apologies for singling this post out but this public sparing between TB members makes for very unpleasant reading.
I will work with anyone, but I won't accept "it's not in our purview" as the final word, sorry. Working with others doesn't mean I'll agree with the other TB members and I don't intend to hide my differences in the private forum.

But I appreciate your opinion and your right to express it.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 3:00 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I will work with anyone, but I won't accept "it's not in our purview" as the final word, sorry. Working with others doesn't mean I'll agree with the other TB members and I don't intend to hide my differences in the private forum.

I appreciate that you're willing to share your opinions and and any differences with others on TalkBoard with the public, rather than hiding that in the private forum.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Agreed on all points ^.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself

Bravo! Perfectly spoken.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?

But, it would be really rather more professional to do it without mud slinging.

I'm not sure how the smart comments are really good coming from someone who in this role is in a leadership position - if that's your view of what FT should be, then I'm not sure I want it perpetuated. If the only way you can argue is by disparagement, that's going to be rather entertaining for us to read, but actually, won't be that productive. You need to learn to work with each other despite personal differences.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Originally Posted by Jenbel
But, it would be really rather more professional to do it without mud slinging.

I'm not sure how the smart comments are really good coming from someone who in this role is in a leadership position - if that's your view of what FT should be, then I'm not sure I want it perpetuated. If the only way you can argue is by disparagement, that's going to be rather entertaining for us to read, but actually, won't be that productive. You need to learn to work with each other despite personal differences.
Speaking of mudslinging, I dont see any disparagement from RichMSN. But he was elected by the membership, while moderators are not, so if there is to be a discussion of the roles of leadership, that might be a fine place to start.

I do think that certain people are heavily invested in a status quo. They may have a tussle on their hands.

Democracy is messy, but it is also effective.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:51 pm

You might not - others might have different standards of courtesy? I'd like my elected representatives to work to a high standard when posting on here, not a low one.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by Jenbel
You might not - others might have different standards of courtesy? I'd like my elected representatives to work to a high standard when posting on here, not a low one.
Nice to have a moderator naming a TB member to have low standard, while if the TB member chose to reply about the mod he could be banned^

Im probably from a different planet than some of you mods/TB pres etc, but I personally find that VERY disturbing

Disclaimer: I love FT, and its my favourite site. 99%+ great, but with big room for enhancement.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by travelkid
Nice to have a moderator naming a TB member to have low standard, while if the TB member chose to reply about the mod he could be banned^

Im probably from a different planet than some of you mods/TB pres etc, but I personally find that VERY disturbing

Disclaimer: I love FT, and its my favourite site. 99%+ great, but with big room for enhancement.
I think you've rushed to conclude based on an incorrect reading of my post.

"I would like my elected representatives to " is expressing a desire of what I would like to see happen. If you read that as I'm saying RichMSN has a low standard, then that is entirely your own (incorrect) reading. I did not, and nor did I mention any TB members in my post - although I am responding to a statement of RichMSN's which I found disconcerting. I'm expressing a hope for the future behaviour of TB members in public, not passing judgement on current standards.

Is it wrong to ask our elected representatives to refrain from taking pot shots at each other on here - particularly so early in the term?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

Well said!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.