Wiki Posts
Search

Question 8: Representing all members of FlyerTalk

Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:58 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Question 8: Representing all members of FlyerTalk

From a member:

As you are expected to represent the membership of FlyerTalk, how will you ensure you are representing the will of the people you represent rather than your own personal viewpoints?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:17 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I won't. I don't. If she wanted direct democracy, Carol could just open a poll on every issue and go with what a majority think.

My goal as a TB member is not to just go with what is popular, but to give posters the best damn Very Frequent Traveler IBB that we can regardless of whether a particular recommendation is popular in the moment or not. Usually, that means the right thing and the popular thing are the same. But sometimes long-term strategic thinking requires stepping on a few toes. So be it.

That said, I think it is critical that we take input from posters in the TB topics forum. We do NOT know it all, and putting proposals out into the free marketplace of ideas only makes proposals better. Never worse.

Last edited by kokonutz; Nov 7, 2013 at 11:39 am
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I totally agree. I couldn't represent everybody even if I wanted to, simply because I have no way of knowing what "everybody" thinks on any issue.

Bruce
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I have stated that I will do my best to vote the way the membership at large is leaning vs how I personally feel on an issue/item. Yes, I will have my own opinion and if it happens to be the way the majority is preferring, then that's great but if it is the opposite view of the members, I will side with them (and I have done this both in public and in the private Talkboard forum). However, where the question is about representing all members, that itself presents a problem as not all members partake in the public TalkBoard discussions and sadly, that is another situation as if someone doesn't voice their opinion, you have no idea how the side on an issue
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I should hope the board has a diverse crowd from all walks of FT life in it.

I would try to see other sides, listen to views, be fair, etc. But in the end, I know what I know and can tout that but not much else. I could certainly learn more and then help others with it, but here's an example:

I do not work on the road, like someone who flies around for a living from company to company. Therefore I have little need to MR. I understand some of it and respect those who do it, but that's not for me. I could not see going for status the way some MR people do, unless it was like 1-2 flights you needed to cap off the year and you had to visit someone there anyway. Otherwise it seems a waste to me.

I do MS. For me, I could earn enough miles for the whole fam to fly in C by just driving around my area and doing MS all day. I work for myself though so I have this flexibility.

So the point is, if someone asked me which was better, I would say, "Well, for me, I like MS and this or that is why... but if you do road warrior travel, you may consider MR. Then again, that depends. Maybe a little of both." It would depend on the case but I would obviously come at it from the MSers' standpoint.

So my expertise--the expertise or passions of those in this group--that is what we would know about, be biased about, and tout. We would try to understand other things, and we obviously have been around long enough in here to know of those things, but we will most likely be who and what we are. And that may be exactly what the user wants.

I think they want a this person, a that person, and someone in between. Hence, a mix or a board.

MM
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:04 pm

its impossible to always please EVERYONE. however, educated responses, should be pleasing the majority, if that is the right way to go... depends on the issues at stake.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I won't. I don't. If she wanted direct democracy, Carol could just open a poll on every issue and go with what a majority think.
This perfectly correct statement bears repeating. We are supposed to exercise our own judgment (and wisdom), not simply reflecting the views of the majority -- assuming that we can even know the majority's views! If our role were to reflect the majority, then all of Talkboard could be replaced by a poll.

Bruce
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I like to think I can speak for the community here. I've been around a long time, seen a lot of shifts and made a lot of posts. I'm active in a number of fora and as I like to say, I consider Flyetralk a community first before anything else and I think I can represent that community. I'm thankfully a bit older now and much better about being open minded and listening to reason.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Each of our own biases and experiences will likely impact how we view various issues. In order to effectively represent a the broad spectrum of FTers, I think it's important to be mindful of this bias when making decisions.

It's also important to be well read on FTers' various posts (opinions/views) to try and make the best decision possible for the greater good.

No one is perfect (or ever will be), but I'd aim to make the best decision possible given circumstances of whatever situation.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I am perfect...

I'm just the only one what thinks so

Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
While I feel like posters can contact us for their needs and give us their feedback. I will bring it forward, however I will have my own opinion on their issue. Just because a member asks one of the TB to bring forward an issue doesn't mean we automatically side with them. If we think it is legitimate then we can discuss. This won't mean that I will vote ignoring my own opinion on the matter if it is contrary to the member who bought it forward.

Representation is important and I have only done it a couple times. That is our job in part and also vote with our best intentions of the betterment of the FT at large.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:59 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I can do my best to represent the majority of the members, but it is impossible to please everyone. I want to make sure everyone has a great experience on FT, and that is what I plan to focus on.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:32 pm

I'm fairly sure I can listen to other older people!! :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.