FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 8: Representing all members of FlyerTalk
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:05 pm
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I should hope the board has a diverse crowd from all walks of FT life in it.

I would try to see other sides, listen to views, be fair, etc. But in the end, I know what I know and can tout that but not much else. I could certainly learn more and then help others with it, but here's an example:

I do not work on the road, like someone who flies around for a living from company to company. Therefore I have little need to MR. I understand some of it and respect those who do it, but that's not for me. I could not see going for status the way some MR people do, unless it was like 1-2 flights you needed to cap off the year and you had to visit someone there anyway. Otherwise it seems a waste to me.

I do MS. For me, I could earn enough miles for the whole fam to fly in C by just driving around my area and doing MS all day. I work for myself though so I have this flexibility.

So the point is, if someone asked me which was better, I would say, "Well, for me, I like MS and this or that is why... but if you do road warrior travel, you may consider MR. Then again, that depends. Maybe a little of both." It would depend on the case but I would obviously come at it from the MSers' standpoint.

So my expertise--the expertise or passions of those in this group--that is what we would know about, be biased about, and tout. We would try to understand other things, and we obviously have been around long enough in here to know of those things, but we will most likely be who and what we are. And that may be exactly what the user wants.

I think they want a this person, a that person, and someone in between. Hence, a mix or a board.

MM