Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question 10: Post count for Omni/OmniPR

Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Please define "value". Activity is valuable in terms of fostering community, which is important for any organization, including an internet bulletin board. But activity doesn't necessarily equate to "value" if the community isn't providing content related to the objective of that organization. I see members who lurk or post sporadically, contributing little content directed towards FT's mission/objective. I also see newbies who post extremely helpful information in their very first post, or perhaps have posted only a handful of times and yet offer far more "content" than someone who posts regularly in OMNI or in the lounges.

Both types of members add "value", but I don't think "activity" is a good way to measure that value.
Yes. Someone's first post can be really helpful. And someone with 60K posts might not be helpful at all. But generally, I think many people do look at post counts to gauge how active a poster is, to help determine the veracity of their posts.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Yes. Someone's first post can be really helpful. And someone with 60K posts might not be helpful at all. But generally, I think many people do look at post counts to gauge how active a poster is, to help determine the veracity of their posts.
I understand that's what you're saying and I disagree with the premise that a high post count (i.e., how "active" a poster is) means that there's more "veracity" to that member's posts. As I wrote before, I think relying on post count is a superficial way of measuring "value" or "contribution", thus I'd be in favor of eliminating post count altogether.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I would agree with removing previous OMNI posts counts, but I'm not so sure how feasible that is.

And you mention that you don't plan on making your TB term about this, so let's just get it out of the way and move on. Well hasn't that happened? What's a vote now going to change, as this is an issue that will keep coming up. I don't see a vote, even one that passed 9-0, as really getting the issue of of the way.

When this came up recently, why didn't it pass? I remember there being some ferocious debates on the subject, and I'm really interested to hear what FTers have to say on the issue.
It would get the issue out of the way for the first half of a TB term, wouldn't it?

It's something that will likely come up at the beginning of every TB year, quite frankly, as there are quite a few people on both sides of the issue.

My point is this -- let's work out a motion, have it proposed and seconded and voted on, and then move on until the next year.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kipper
OMNI and Coupon Connection are restricted access for a few reasons. CC in part because it involves trading, people want to know that their trading partner is honest and they aren't going to get stiffed on the trade.
^ And rightly so

OMNI is restricted in part because of trolls who joined simply to post in OMNI, and had no desire to contribute to the points and miles discussions, and as such added nothing to the community.
^ And rightly so (redux)

Originally Posted by jackal
.....I apologize, but I vehemently disagree with this proposed solution. The lounge threads have become as much a part of the FlyerTalk culture as anything else. Sequestering them away in a remote forum would completely obfuscate their entire raison d'être.

If you still believe that lounge threads add no value, I invite you to visit the following lounges:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...y-welcome.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...y-welcome.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nalty-box.html

I am sure other lounges are similarly valuable, but these are the three that I have (for better or for worse) become familiar with.
Then as I said at the beginning of my post that you quoted which you didn't include

So with all my rambling, the way it is now under the current set up with lounge thread posts counting, then Omni posts should count....
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hey, I can't get in on this? Yes, I think OMNI posts should count.

If a flat out all OMNI posts count won't pass, then the idea to split OMNI that I referenced earlier could be a viable compromise, but I'd rather that all OMNI posts count.
I think we all agree with you if they can reinstating the post count again. They have be respectful to others. I think it's right choice for me. We can give another chance to restore the post count again.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:25 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
There's a problem with making a separate lounge forum, the lounges will be emptier. I don't think half of the people that use The Penelty Box on the UA forum, for example, would use it if their was a Lounge Forum. Besides, isn't that practically Omni?
I agree that there may be a loss of posting in the thread, but why should someone get a post for saying good morning? I am not saying that all of the people are just saying good morning, but there is nothing substantive to that post. We should be rewarding those that contribute substantive information.

Delta747

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.