Question 10: Post count for Omni/OmniPR

Old Nov 7, 11, 5:27 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Question 10: Post count for Omni/OmniPR

Submitted by a member:

Talkboard defeated a vote on whether to count posts for Omni and OmniPR.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...edit-omni.html

What is your opinion about Omni and OmniPR posts being treated differently than lounge threads?

"As an example, people may post "good morning" in any of the lounge threads and get posting credit for it, yet if they post a detailed response helping someone in Omni, it does not count.

This creates a group of second-class posters that does nothing to foster the sense of community within FT.*
Old Nov 7, 11, 5:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
There might almost be 6 votes for counting posts in OMNI-fluff (the nickname for OMNI excluding OMNI P/R).

I'm persuadable on this issue, but I am pretty sure there aren't going to be 6 votes for counting posts in OMNI P/R. A casual look at OMNI P/R does not reveal a wealth of valuable information. However some would make the same argument regarding the new Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

If somebody can find 5 votes for anything on this issue, I will likely provide the 6th vote. I'd prefer to be the 7th vote because I have trouble taking the post count issue as seriously as some members do. At some point post count becomes a sign of obsession rather than achievement.
Old Nov 7, 11, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA, LM, Etihad Guest Gold, Honors Plat, IHG Ambassador, Star Alliance Gold,
Yes I think OMNI should count towards post counts.

As you need to meet a minimum requirement to be able to view and post to those forums, as it shows to me that you are dedicated to the FT community.

Why do people get so hung up over how many posts someone has made?

Who's not to say that people that don't post in OMNI aren't getting their post count up by one line responses to other topics anyway.
Old Nov 7, 11, 6:26 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Absofreakinglutely OMNI and PR posts should count.

Why is OMNI ghettoized and discriminated against? It make ZERO sense. Penalty Box and Lounge threads count but not OMNI.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

It's stupid and it needs to stop.

Every post should count no matter where it is posted.
Old Nov 7, 11, 6:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Absofreakinglutely OMNI and PR posts should count.
C'mon, koko, don't sugar coat it. Tell us what you REALLY think.

Serioiusly, I regard koko as one of the best TalkBoard members ever, willing to work long and hard and, in the end, compromise just enough. Still, if there were a position of Immoderator, he'd be a top candidate. Often wrong, never in doubt, and thoroughly lovable. I hope I win just so I can serve with him.
Old Nov 7, 11, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
I think post counts in OMNI and OMNI P/R should count, in part because OMNI fluff especially is similar to many of the lounge threads.

As a compromise, I believe someone currently on TalkBoard suggested reorganizing OMNI by adding at least one additional sub-forum, and counting posts in some of the subforums, but not all. I can't find the post, but I believe the suggestion was something like, "OMNI-fluff-posts count, OMNI Games (new subforum)--posts don't count, OMNI P/R--posts count (or not).

While I'd favor posts counting in all of OMNI, I think the above would be a compromise that could address at least some of the issues and some of the concerns those that are against counting OMNI posts have.
Old Nov 7, 11, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
As a rather Newbie myself, I've always wondered why post counts don't count on Omni.. I understand that post counts reflect discussions on miles and points.. It however doesn't make sense to not count the posts on Omni..

If not added to regular post counts, would a Omni/PR classified post count seperate from the regular post count not work? Could FT, then classify members in a seperate naming system for Omni/PR in addition to the leaving the regular system untouched?.. If not adopting posts on the regular post count?..

In considering this divisive issue, the TalkBoard should revisit the debate by considering the major viewpoints of post count. This seems a big enough issue that, perhaps a binding questionnaire referendum be put out to the FlyerTalk Members, or perhaps consultation with a specially selected Focus Group, reporting to the TalkBoard with the feedback.

Post Counts are big business here on FlyerTalk.. Many members spend countless hours, and the statistics should reflect the effort and time members put in. I appreciate the moderators imposing a 20 post per day glass ceiling (not official, but no FT member usually has over average 20 posts per day for very long).. and the independence autonomy of the moderators should continue so that MRs aren't being performed on post counts to ensure quality posts.. But not counting Omni/PR for those participating, is relegating the section like it doesn't belong on FlyerTalk..

I'm open to suggestions how we can reward FlyerTalk Members with recognition in the Omni/PR.. What that looks like and if any change is implemented, depends on the feedback we receive from Membership surveys, focus groups and discussions..
Old Nov 7, 11, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
As a rather Newbie myself, I've always wondered why post counts don't count on Omni.. I understand that post counts reflect discussions on miles and points.. It however doesn't make sense to not count the posts on Omni..

If not added to regular post counts, would a Omni/PR classified post count seperate from the regular post count not work? Could FT, then classify members in a seperate naming system for Omni/PR in addition to the leaving the regular system untouched?.. If not adopting posts on the regular post count?..

In considering this divisive issue, the TalkBoard should revisit the debate by considering the major viewpoints of post count. This seems a big enough issue that, perhaps a binding questionnaire referendum be put out to the FlyerTalk Members, or perhaps consultation with a specially selected Focus Group, reporting to the TalkBoard with the feedback.

Post Counts are big business here on FlyerTalk.. Many members spend countless hours, and the statistics should reflect the effort and time members put in. I appreciate the moderators imposing a 20 post per day glass ceiling (not official, but no FT member usually has over average 20 posts per day for very long).. and the independence autonomy of the moderators should continue so that MRs aren't being performed on post counts to ensure quality posts.. But not counting Omni/PR for those participating, is relegating the section like it doesn't belong on FlyerTalk..

I'm open to suggestions how we can reward FlyerTalk Members with recognition in the Omni/PR.. What that looks like and if any change is implemented, depends on the feedback we receive from Membership surveys, focus groups and discussions..

I didn't even relise realize they didn't count! No wonder why I'm not at 2,000 posts....

But seriously, they should count, lounge threads count, and it's the same thing!
Old Nov 7, 11, 7:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ Silver, IHG Plat Amb, MR Gold, SL Jade
I do not think that any form of Omni posts should count toward the main post count. But I think that Ancien Maestro is onto something with this separate post count. Since the discussion in Omni is not related to miles and points etc, why not make a separate count.

Delta747
Old Nov 7, 11, 7:04 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
As you can see in the link above, I was one of the ones who voted "yes" on the measure in question.

If it were to come up again, I would vote "yes" again.

Also, kipper is correct about the compromise idea wherein OMNI games (i.e. counting to 100,000, etc.) were sequestered in a separate forum where posts don't count. I actually favor that idea the best and was sad that it didn't get the light of day.
Old Nov 7, 11, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Delta747 View Post
I do not think that any form of Omni posts should count toward the main post count. But I think that Ancien Maestro is onto something with this separate post count. Since the discussion in Omni is not related to miles and points etc, why not make a separate count.

Delta747

But if we are only counting mile and points posts, should TravelBuzz count?
Old Nov 7, 11, 7:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ Silver, IHG Plat Amb, MR Gold, SL Jade
Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
But if we are only counting mile and points posts, should TravelBuzz count?
When I added the etc. after miles and points, I meant anything that is related to miles, points, dining, and travel. I should have been more clear in my answer to the question.

Delta747
Old Nov 7, 11, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
As you can see in the link above, I was one of the ones who voted "yes" on the measure in question.

If it were to come up again, I would vote "yes" again.

Also, kipper is correct about the compromise idea wherein OMNI games (i.e. counting to 100,000, etc.) were sequestered in a separate forum where posts don't count. I actually favor that idea the best and was sad that it didn't get the light of day.
I think we are agree with you. If they will ever to reinstates the post count again. If we can give another chance to start the post count once again. If they behave well. Follow the rules and not try to padding the post count.
Old Nov 7, 11, 9:24 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
I feel that posts in OMNI should not count. FlyerTalk is a place to talk about points, miles, etc. but the posts in OMNI are hardly relative to miles, statuses, and airline. OMNI is a place to talk topics not related to FlyerTalk, for the most part, and if they do involve FlyerTalk, post it in GeneralBuzz or better yet, the specific forum for it's topic.
Old Nov 7, 11, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (but still missing SPG)
Originally Posted by frubio2012 View Post
I feel that posts in OMNI should not count. FlyerTalk is a place to talk about points, miles, etc. but the posts in OMNI are hardly relative to miles, statuses, and airline. OMNI is a place to talk topics not related to FlyerTalk, for the most part, and if they do involve FlyerTalk, post it in GeneralBuzz or better yet, the specific forum for it's topic.
FlyerTalk is what the posters make of it. It's a community. Lounge posts are no more valuable than a post made in one of the OMNIs.

I've fought this battle long and hard from the outside. I'm weary of it. All I'll say at this point is that there's no good reason I can see why every single post made on FlyerTalk shouldn't count in a "post count" if we're going to keep such a thing. Quite frankly, I'd be just as happy eliminating post counts or permanently setting mine to a (-1).