Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question 5: Should Talkboard have term limits?

Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I don't see term limits as an absolute necessity. If the larger community was satisfied with the composition of the board, disrupting the community's wishes to have certain members serve is unnecessary.

If over time, there were a compelling lack of fresh faces and fresh ideas to the board, I would hope that board members would choose to not rerun in the best interests of the community.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:12 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Absofreakinglutely.

Look what happened with gleff: he was TB President for so long that he actually put it on his CV as he started frequent flyer businesses and got involved in monetizing his frequent flyer experience. That's what happens when you create a permanent class of leaders.

TB members should serve for 2 years then take at least a 2-year break. One and done. Let others have a shot at it. That's what I did.

Otherwise you lose perspective. You start seeing FT from a different point of view than a regular joe poster does. That's bad.

BTW, exactly the same for moderators. They should be taking breaks from their moderating duties on a regular basis so that they can see the board from the view of a poster rather than a moderator for a while.

Oh, and while I'm at it, TB members who are moderators should be required to take a leave of absence from their moderating duties while they are on the TB. They should be required to see the board from the perspective of a poster, not a moderator.

Did I mention: Power to the Posters!!!?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Absofreakinglutely.

Look what happened with gleff: he was TB President for so long that he actually put it on his CV as he started frequent flyer businesses and got involved in monetizing his frequent flyer experience. That's what happens when you create a permanent class of leaders.

TB members should serve for 2 years then take at least a 2-year break. One and done. Let others have a shot at it. That's what I did.

Otherwise you lose perspective. You start seeing FT from a different point of view than a regular joe poster does. That's bad.

BTW, exactly the same for moderators. They should be taking breaks from their moderating duties on a regular basis so that they can see the board from the view of a poster rather than a moderator for a while.

Oh, and while I'm at it, TB members who are moderators should be required to take a leave of absence from their moderating duties while they are on the TB. They should be required to see the board from the perspective of a poster, not a moderator.

Did I mention: Power to the Posters!!!?
I'm with ya, brother, for the most part.

Unlike you, I'm happy to allow a second term. It's a way for voters to display how happy or unhappy they are with a TB member. But after 2 terms, it's time for some fresh blood and for the TB member to spend a few years on the outside looking in.

And after a term out of the position, I have no problem with the TB member running again. Then the voters can decide. I'm happy to see your candidacy again, koko -- after your most recent term I figured you had had enough of pounding your head against a brick wall.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I favor term limits. I suspect Talk Board requires a fair amount of energy and the term limits will allow board members to focus that energy for a defined period and allow infusion of "fresh blood" in a timely manner.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: AC
Most things in life should have liimits, talkboard being no different. I also have other ideas such as the belief that there should always be a newer member on the board, and limiting the number of times someone can be nominated to the board.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
koko's argument is compelling. It's a perfect example of why I'm no longer opposed to term limits.

On the other side, the argument against term limits boils down to the benefit of a mix of long-time TB members and new TB members. As long as we have such a mix, term limits are superfluous. However if we get to the point of having nothing but long-time members, they are unlikely to support term limits. Therefore I am open to using the current window of opportunity to add term limits to some extent.

Incidentally, this kind of discussion is why I love the debate phase of TalkBoard elections. I wish I could participate in these topics every year, even as a non-candidate. It's a great way to get everyone thinking out what kinds of changes we'd like to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.