Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question 15: What Bothers You About FlyerTalk?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:32 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Question 15: What Bothers You About FlyerTalk?

submitted by sobore
What one thing bothers you about FlyerTalk, and how would you go about addressing it?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
submitted by sobore
What one thing bothers you about FlyerTalk, and how would you go about addressing it?
The newsletter that is sent out. The format and content of it. I would ask the folk to change it....if it was within the remit of TB to do anything about it.

Spruce it up a little, not so long winded and figure out who picks what to go into the newsletter.

Meant to say that this would be a good time to send out a newsletter....."Election Special" just as a reminder..to visit this part of the forum....
Old Nov 5, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The mobile/wireless access -- too cumbersome and not very PDA-friendly.

I have some ideas on what to do, but I would need to talk to web people to see if they're feasible. First off, I would rather see a less graphic-driven format on the mobile version -- or at least an option on which type to use.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 1:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
submitted by sobore
It's addictive. I don't have a plan for addressing this.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely the wireless access - I don't like how on my Crackberry, I can only read one post at a time. It's just not a good format. But I don't see that at an FT issue - I see that as an technical uncontrollable (at this time, anyways).

I guess something that bothers me about FT is how some folks, a small (real small) vocal minority of folks at that, seem to have an issue with everything. It almost seems that this small minority of folks find issues to bring to the table just for the sake of finding issues to bring to the table - even if it seems that the only fora they actively participate is in the OMNI fora & the TB Topics forum and in very few other ones. The complain about everything and try to get change instituted in places that I, personally, can't understand why they'd even care since it doesn't appear they even participate in those aspects of FlyerTalk. But maybe that's not an FT issue - maybe its my personal issue...sorry for the digression...

To go back to topic - I don't care for the "new" search function that much.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The amount of time it consumes. It bothers Mrs. PTravel for the same reason.

I'm a little frustrated with the frequent slow-downs and crashes. However, that's something that should be directed to IBB.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
(1) The Ready, Fire, Aim way that some decisions are made and how some things are implemented. See the OMNI decision of the past week or so.

(2) The lack of real opportunities for people that care about FlyerTalk to volunteer, mainly because people wear multiple hats and instead of bringing in new blood when more slots need to be filled, existing volunteers are given additional duties.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN
The lack of real opportunities for people that care about FlyerTalk to volunteer, mainly because people wear multiple hats and instead of bringing in new blood when more slots need to be filled, existing volunteers are given additional duties.
^^^^^^^
Old Nov 5, 2008, 5:44 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I spend way too much time here No idea how to change that obviously - lol.

Seriously though, one of the problems that bother me has been addressed and answered in another question - Welcoming Tone to New Members.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 5:37 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Are we only to mention ONE thing that bothers me?

1. That the board does a bad job of keeping members and turning lurkers in to posters.

2. That several groups of people have formed that believe the Mods are the spawns of Satan.

3. That TB does not hold itself accountable for it's decisions.

4. That anyone seriously thinks a charity like Mission to the World really has a place here

..... I'll try and think of some more if you really would like me too...
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:20 am

Well just read the latest FlyerTalk newsletter. What a load of utter TOSH!. The bit about this election is a total joke. Its BORING, DULL and LIFELESS.

We should have an election special to draw the attention of members to the elections, not just a small paragraph in between a load of other stuff that looks like its all been cut and pasted with no due care and attention.

Its a fantastic chance to push FT out to its members but sadly lacking...
Old Nov 6, 2008, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Wow strong reactions to TalkMail!

I don't have a problem with it as it's an "extra" I don't have to do anything to get in my mailbox!

What bothers me about FT are the same things that bother me about every message board I use or moderate which vary in topics - eg. , travel, pets, theater.
• some posters are obnoxious on the board and delightful IRL
• vice versa
• some posters think that the relative anonymity permits them to be belittling and rude
• the board host/admin makes decisions that seem arbitrary and capricious
• posters who have been on the board along time complain about those danged newbies who don't know anything and want to change everything
• vice versa
• a few problem posters complain about
- other posters
- the management of the board

As such there's nothing here that I feel TB has in their purview to change, except as to be aware of characteristics that are common to other boards and look at management issues that might be of service to the membership at large.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 3:12 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
iPhone
Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by squeakr
• a few problem posters complain about
- other posters
- the management of the board
While this aspect of FT doesn't really bother me per se, it's a shame that it happens.

The only thing that really bothers me about FT is needing a fix and finding the board is down or a 'database error'.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
I don't have a problem with it as it's an "extra" I don't have to do anything to get in my mailbox!

Hi squeakr

Yes they are strong words regarding the FT newsletter, but I stand by what I say. I dont think it would be too hard for it to be spruced up a little. I also dont mind helping if they need folk to do it.

regards
J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.