Question 15: Simple Majority Votes

Old Nov 10, 2007, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by the_traveler
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

And I agree with RichMSN - it should be 2/3 of all TB and not just those voting on that specific issue!
I'm under the impression that something could pass 1-0 with 8 abstentions. Is that true? Could someone on the current TalkBoard respond?

If so, I would propose changing that immediately as a first order of business. It needs to be 6 votes, not just 2/3 of the votes received.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm under the impression that something could pass 1-0 with 8 abstentions. Is that true? Could someone on the current TalkBoard respond?

If so, I would propose changing that immediately as a first order of business. It needs to be 6 votes, not just 2/3 of the votes received.
I believe that's true. I also believe it could pass with 1 yes vote and 8 TB members not voting before the deadline.

But an abstention is actually considered a vote. And, for the record, I've never abstained from a vote.

Neither scenario above is likely to happen but any TB member is free to make a motion to change the voting rules at any time.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I agree, but I would make sure it's 2/3 of the size of the body. In other words, regardless of the number of absent voters or abstentions, I would want 6 votes for any motion to pass.
This actually used to be the rule, I'd have to check my notes but I believe it was changed in 2004.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
The 2/3rds majority makes sense to me as well. That said, hypothetical scenarios of a motion passing with a single vote for and no other votes cast is indeed a bit ridiculous. I don't think such a scenario was anticipated at the time the voting system was developed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.