Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question 11: Building Dialogue and Consensus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 2:36 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
My approach to finding solutions is to always remember the big picture. If elected to TB, I would always endeavor to look at an issue from the perspective of the community at large. While I might have an opinion on a specific subject, TB members should not be focusing on their view of the world, but on the view of the community.

As such, I would always try to build agreement by offering what I believe to be the view of the community.

However, as others have already stated, decisions do not need to be unanimous. There will always be pros and cons to decisions and thus we need to recognize this fact. Consensus should be built, but not with the intent of eliminating all opposing views.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:50 am

Programs: Peon in all
I plan to examine each issue and do what I feel is best to help and improve FT. While not every member of TB may agree with one proposal or another (and I do not expect them to either), I think each will and should put the best interest of all FT members ahead of their own personal agenda.

When I was a tax auditor, I did what I thought was best for both the IRS and taxpayers. You have to decide what is best for all involved.

Then if that doesn't work, I'll resort to extortion and bribery!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by flyertalk
This question submitted by member Jenbel:
We're obviously hearing a lot about what candidates want to do if
elected. However, to be an effective TB member, one needs to be able
to build dialogue and consensus, and this seems to be being rather
ignored. Can you explain how you would go about effectively
persuading the other TB members to support your most important
campaign positions?
It assumes all members of TB are receptive to ideas that are put forth. If members shut down any discussion saying that "it is not the purview of TB" and put their fingers in their ears, it's pretty hard to build consensus.

But you do things the right way -- you LISTEN to everyone's opinions and you don't try to shut them down and hurt feelings in the process. And you accept the votes and opinions of the majority while continuing to work towards your platform goals a little at a time, being persuasive and being able to back up a position.

Oh, and bribery. Can't forget that.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:07 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RichMSN
It assumes all members of TB are receptive to ideas that are put forth. If members shut down any discussion saying that "it is not the purview of TB" and put their fingers in their ears, it's pretty hard to build consensus.
First I'd like to say that I am happy that this Elections forum has been open to the concerns of you and others upset with moderation. As a moderator, I virtually never encounter anyone with a serious gripe against moderation, so I am curious about any negative feedback. I only hear it second-hand from other moderators, so it's helpful to hear it from the source.

Rich, I believe that I have answered the questions and THEN said that the answer is irrelevant for topics not in the purview of TB. I don't call that trying to shut down discussion. In fact I'm one of the only moderators running for TalkBoard who has attempted to constructively engage your favorite candidates on their obsession (hey, I call it like I see it) with moderation.

Furthermore, I'm the only candidate offering a constructive path by which the TalkBoard could actually improve moderation: making the Terms of Service, over which the TalkBoard DOES have purview, more specific.

Your favorite candidates are the reason I'm running for TalkBoard. I'd like to see if there's anything we can do with the Terms of Service to improve their outlook on moderation. I think I can be effective doing so.

I'm starting to wonder whether your favorites have a personal animus toward certain moderators, and whether they will continue to complain as long as those moderators remain on FT. I also infer that your favorites believe the exact opposite, that certain moderators have a personal animus toward them, something that Randy has warned all moderators against. This situation is decidedly unhealthy for FT: Personal animus pollutes the forums.

If I am elected, I'll be able to figure out if any of these inferences are correct, and I may be able to work out a truce. I can't guarantee that, but if I can't do it I doubt that anybody could.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.