Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss open new Destination

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Swiss open new Destination

Hi all

Well so far, internal Network News, but I am going to share them with you, expect to be official within coming weeks:

Swiss plans to open following new Destination by their Winter Schedule from ZRH:
SFO: 5 times per Week MO-FR
CPT: 5 times per Week TUE-SAT
AUH: 7 times per Week
ATL: 7 times per Week
DTW: 5 times per Week
MSP: 5 times per Week

You probably ask where the planes come from, be surprised (probably complete new plane model?)

Cheers
Sola
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:23 am

Great. As long as it's true.
Summer schedule or will they manage to fit in winter?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: Amanjunkie
^ great news, esp the ZRH-SFO flight
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
While SFO has been a rumour for a while, the others are kind of a surprise to me.

CPT could make sense within the LH network. LH used to operate a seasonal winter flight to CPT and perhaps this is now swaped with LX.

AUH used to be operated by LX as a second leg from Riyadh, perhaps something like this is back. Also part of the SR/LX history is ATL, which was operated with a 743 once upon a time! But this was back in those days when Delta was SR's main partner in the US. That's why I have some doubts.

Even greater are my doubts about DTW and MSP. Both are no *A hubs and I'm not aware of any large corporate customers on both ends which would justify it. Again, the only explanation could be LH. May be they are shifting their second daily flight to DTW from FRA to ZRH, as GM goes down ... but with MSP???

Thus, bottom line it looks to me like a major shift of LH to its third hub ZRH - this could make sense, as LX is doing well and dealing with trade unions it could help to diversify the risks a bit.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:25 pm

When will these come available to book? And will they strictly operate winter schedule or continue next summer. And when does LX winter sched. end?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:54 pm

Any news as to what aircraft will operate the routes? 3 class/2 class??
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Well, I hate to spoil the party here and I really appreciate the post by swiss_airlines - welcome to FT.

But seriously, friends, this is nonsense. At least if it refers to the winter timetable that starts in October 08. It's just not doable operationally (planes / staff / route rights / slots etc.). Not to mention that they would need to start selling tickets waaaaaaay earlier to make it profitable. Remember Shanghai and Delhi? They started talking about those about 18 months before opening the routes. And for good reason.

Sorry, but this ain't gonna happen. No 6 additional wide-body direct routes from ZRH. Only option I can see are shorthaul codeshares (e.g. ORD-MSP on UA).
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Even greater are my doubts about DTW and MSP. Both are no *A hubs and I'm not aware of any large corporate customers on both ends which would justify it. Again, the only explanation could be LH. May be they are shifting their second daily flight to DTW from FRA to ZRH, as GM goes down ... but with MSP???
MSP is headquarters to more FORTUNE 500 companies than any metro area, excluding Chicago and NYC.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:24 pm

Per SWISS, there will be new GVA-BUD route, and ZRH-DXB-MCT is upgraded

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/about_sw..._20080717.aspx

However, TLV is being downgraded on both flights from A340 to A330 (with no first class). Well, at least no question not to fly LX now, when LH offers excellent service to TLV. LX used to have the advantage of better seats (F seat guarenteed to HON/SEN on Z class fare) but now LH will be better as A330 seats are very old.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by 2035
now LH will be better as A330 seats are very old.
With the "day-flight"-position, LX's A330-seats are not worse than LH's new biz-seats. Come on, the LX's A330 have a 2-2-2-layout, which fits perfectly for a 4-hours-flight. Even on "short long hauls" (ACC, LOS, DLA) I always preffered the A330-biz-seat over the F-cabin, because waking up in F is sooo difficult...

Even for a longer dayflight (MIA, JFK) I would not refrain from booking C on the A330.

BTW I: swiss_airlines-welcome to FT!

BTW II: Found an 11 years-old ad of the new A330 and it's Biz-Class, which was the "dernier-cri" at that time and a big step forward compared with the biz-class on the MD11 (and almost as good as F on the MD11's...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrBqzYQgmDk
Old Jul 20, 2008, 3:27 pm

DTW makes sense as GM has the European HQ in Zurich, me thinks Swiss is trying to catch a falling knife here.
Procter and Gamble is located in Geneva, but they got used to connect via CDG to CVG.

ATL and MSP do not make any sense. CPT is primarily a winter holiday destination. SFO did never earn money in the Swissair times, why should it now?

Are the planes coming from OS, BMI or SN ? Swiss coming to rescue OS and take the 767's and 777 planes off the OS balance sheet?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Surely CPT would be easy; just tag it onto JNB. The A340 sits there all day anyhow.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:00 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Welcome on Ft, swiss_airlines !! ^
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Fendant
ATL and MSP do not make any sense. CPT is primarily a winter holiday destination. SFO did never earn money in the Swissair times, why should it now?
SFO seems obvious as an expansion city in the US--west coast city with a *A partner that can feed traffic and no other nonstop on the route.

If timed as a night departure, it would be the only night-departing nonstop SFO-continental Europe other than SFO-MUC, which is pretty pricey and would seem to be a money-maker for LH. UA 926/927 is a bit earlier as well, and given that it has avoided the axe from UA, it's probably making a bit of money.

Not sure about the rationale behind ATL and MSP if those are indeed true, but ATL might siphon off some interline traffic and MSP doesn't have any other *A nonstop to Europe.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I wonder if the LH crew / station will handle the LX flight at DTW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.