Wiki Posts
Search

LX/ LH to go after "miles traders"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
LX/ LH to go after "miles traders"

This is a word of warning that I've been asked to pass on by a very reliable first-hand source:
Aus gut unterrichteten Kreisen ist zu hören, dass SWISS und Lufthansa Jagd auf Meilenhändler im Miles & More Programm machen. Den Käufern von Meilen werden die Gutschriften nicht weitergeleitet bzw. bereits gutgeschriebene Meilen wieder belastet. Die beiden Fluggesellschaften erwägen rechtliche Schritte gegen Teilnehmer an diesem Handel, welcher im Widerspruch zu den Teilnahmebedingungen sind. Aufgepasst, die scheinen es mit der Bekämpfung gegen den Missbrauch ernst zu nehmen!
In a nutshell, Miles & More has started chasing people they believe are trading in miles proxies, namely Coop Superpoints. While they had noticed in the past that members would transfer Superpoints from their Coop accounts over to their M&M accounts and then issued tickets for other people, they now see an increasing amount of cases where one person's Superpoints are transferred to another person's M&M account. LX argues that this constitues a "trade", which would violate the terms & conditions of the M&M program. They also dislike the fact that some people out there actively publish (e.g. on Ricardo) that these kinds of deals were fine.
--
I am not endorsing or refuting this point of view and merely act as a messenger.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
M&M is behind ebayers trading points for quite a while. Often UA/LH will buy the award/points and then cancel the persons account.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Weird. Sounds like someone has way too much time on his hands.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 2:14 am

Programs: LH
Talking Miles Traders

First of all, this step really does not come unexpected. While Miles and More might still make profit with the "Miles Traders", the customer of Miles and More might not like people that "use the system and do not get used by the system", whereby they can not book the flight they want.

But still, there are a couple of questions.
:-: Is there a sufficient legal base to do this? (flyinglawer, your turn)
:-: What happens in following scenario: Someone buys 80.000 miles (CHF 1.600 or € 1.000) and travels to America in Y. When he comes back, M&M debits his account by 80.000 miles because this was bought from a "Miles Trader"?
:-: What will the partner (for excample Coop and so on) do, when their miles/points are not accepted?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
I always thought the "legal" (aka T&C conform) way to do this was to sell/auction and then transfer Superpoints from the seller's Superpoint account to a buyer's Superpoint account. IIRC, selling Superoints is allowed according to the COOP T&C.

Then the buyer converts the Superpoints residing on his Superpoint account to miles on his M&M account.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Often UA/LH will buy the award/points and then cancel the persons account.
Is this really true, i.e. is anyone here on the forum who's account had been candled by LH? (esp. any HON) --- or is it just another urban myth?

CL
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:40 am

Talking Hon

Originally Posted by CubaLibre
is anyone here on the forum who's account had been candled by LH? (esp. any HON)
Hola CubaLibre,
estas HON?
Has vendiendo Miles?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by chumbawumba
estas HON?
: si
Originally Posted by chumbawumba
Has vendiendo Miles?
: I do not understand the question...

I'm just wondering if they really want to cancel a HON or SEN membership for some traded miles or vouchers ...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:19 am

Talking HON/SEN membership

I'm just wondering if they really want to cancel a HON or SEN membership for some traded miles or vouchers ...
I actually can not imaging them doing that.
What I can think they could do is cancel a membership of someone who does business with miles. As airoli named the thread, Mile Traders.
And that was the 2nd question, are you selling Miles? If no, why should they cancel your membership?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Is this really true, i.e. is anyone here on the forum who's account had been candled by LH? (esp. any HON) --- or is it just another urban myth?
Don't know about the myth but actually observed UA/LH agents bidding on ebay deals. It always the same set of userIDs.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Don't know about the myth but actually observed UA/LH agents bidding on ebay deals. It always the same set of userIDs.
Shall we start a few bogus auctions selling miles from accounts that don't exist just to waste their time?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by graraps
Shall we start a few bogus auctions selling miles from accounts that don't exist just to waste their time?
You can do that. LH/UA go after the name and address of the eBay seller. eBay will actually provide this data to them. If LH/UA find someone with a similar name/address in their FFP member files, they'll freeze the account for a very long review. Enjoy!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:33 am

The moment you win a bid on ebay bot buyer and seller can see each others full name and address. Also ebay charges you for each completed auction. If you have a fat swiss bank account (pardon the pun) a lot of time on you hands and no mileage account with M&M, feel free
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flysurfer
You can do that. LH/UA go after the name and address of the eBay seller. eBay will actually provide this data to them. If LH/UA find someone with a similar name/address in their FFP member files, they'll freeze the account for a very long review. Enjoy!
Name/address is easy to circumvent. The question is, would they ask ebay if you just told them you had a technical issue and couldn't sell the miles to them (and obviously not accept any money from them either)?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Name/address is easy to circumvent. The question is, would they ask ebay if you just told them you had a technical issue and couldn't sell the miles to them (and obviously not accept any money from them either)?
eBay hands over personal data of sellers to certain big companies/brands who participate in a certain eBay program. It's embedded in the fine print of the T&C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.