Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge ZRH [merged Q&A thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:44 am

I thought we had a "ZRH layover" thread a while ago, but couldn't find it when searching in the forum, so posting it in the main lounge/ZRH thread:

Good news for anyone planing on actually leaving the airport and visiting Zürich city: As of tomorrow, 30th March, the infamous "lake surcharge" will be no longer, all boats can be taken with a regular ZVV ticket again. Which means the popular river cruise is "included" yet again in any airport+city ticket (Zone 110 and 121) who are a rather cheap option for anyone having a lengthy layover but not interested in museums etc.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I thought we had a "ZRH layover" thread a while ago, but couldn't find it when searching in the forum, so posting it in the main lounge/ZRH thread:

Good news for anyone planing on actually leaving the airport and visiting Zürich city: As of tomorrow, 30th March, the infamous "lake surcharge" will be no longer, all boats can be taken with a regular ZVV ticket again. Which means the popular river cruise is "included" yet again in any airport+city ticket (Zone 110 and 121) who are a rather cheap option for anyone having a lengthy layover but not interested in museums etc.
Thanks for this! Can you share a bit more details? I have a 6.5 hours morning layover in May and could be interested to try that.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by jasdou
Thanks for this! Can you share a bit more details? I have a 6.5 hours morning layover in May and could be interested to try that.
This might not work for you, if you have a morning layover - until July, the river boats will only start running in the early afternoon (first boat leaves Landesmuseum near central station at 13:05). However, if your layover is on a saturday or sunday, you can catch the first boat at 10:05, boats will depart every 30 minutes.

You could, of course, take one of the lake boats instead, however, you somehow need to get to Bürkliplatz pier (requiring you to change to the tram at central station or walk over from Stadelhofen S-Bahn station), and the ticket from the airport to the city center won't be valid on those boats unless you only take an extremely short hop of 5 minutes to the next stop.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by bruce80
This might not work for you, if you have a morning layover - until July, the river boats will only start running in the early afternoon (first boat leaves Landesmuseum near central station at 13:05). However, if your layover is on a saturday or sunday, you can catch the first boat at 10:05, boats will depart every 30 minutes.

You could, of course, take one of the lake boats instead, however, you somehow need to get to Bürkliplatz pier (requiring you to change to the tram at central station or walk over from Stadelhofen S-Bahn station), and the ticket from the airport to the city center won't be valid on those boats unless you only take an extremely short hop of 5 minutes to the next stop.
Ok then. My layover is from 6:30 to 13:00 on a Monday. We might just head to the city for breakfast and a short walk.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by jasdou
Ok then. My layover is from 6:30 to 13:00 on a Monday. We might just head to the city for breakfast and a short walk.
If you want to take a walk, I would auggest to take a train to the central station, then walk down Bahnhofstrasse (you might want to try the „famous“ breakfast buffet at Café Sprüngli at Paradeplatz, however I would say it is overrated, pricy and touristy) right to the lake (Bürkliplatz), turn left, cross the river and then walk back to Hauptbahnhof along the river. This walk will approximately take one hour at a leisurely pace (not including time for breakfast) and you will see most of what you would also see from the river boat.
ffsim and jasdou like this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:14 am

Found the "original" thread again:

1st time in ZRH, IAD-ZRH 4 hour layover ZRH-LHR?

My posting is #7 , but there are much more useful information in it. And considering it's Switzerland, not much has changed since then
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:37 am

I've tried to read through this thread and the LX website, but its confused me more.

We are both TK*G and will be flying out of ZRH on Easter Sunday at around 1900 hrs routing ZRH-MUC-JNB on LX/SA in Business Class. We plan to get to the airport around 1600 after checking out of the hotel and then hang out in the lounge prior to departure.

Is there actually a lounge available for intra-Schengen passengers at ZRH at present? I see mention of the extra-Schengen lounge in E and the need to go through immigration, but will this work for non-EU citizens (with multiple entry Schengen visas though)?

Finally, I am arriving in ZRH in Economy class two days earlier on the same ticket (but with a fare break in ZRH). Does this affect my eligibility to use the lounge if I am ticketed in Economy on the same ticket number?

Sorry for the number of questions, but this seems to be a very complex issue with lots of technicalities that are very customer unfriendly.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I've tried to read through this thread and the LX website, but its confused me more.
No worries, LX does apparently like to confuse it's customers - that's at least what you feel like when you queue up at the voucher desk for almost a year now..

We are both TK*G and will be flying out of ZRH on Easter Sunday at around 1900 hrs routing ZRH-MUC-JNB on LX/SA in Business Class. We plan to get to the airport around 1600 after checking out of the hotel and then hang out in the lounge prior to departure.

Is there actually a lounge available for intra-Schengen passengers at ZRH at present? I see mention of the extra-Schengen lounge in E and the need to go through immigration, but will this work for non-EU citizens (with multiple entry Schengen visas though)?
Intra-Schengen, LX currently doesn't operate a lounge. They've a deal with a contract lounge that is often so full that people can't even get in (considering it's much much smaller than the old SEN lounge alone, that's more than obvious)

So, while you can visit a intra-Schengen lounge, it's definitely no fun for more than a quick coffee - NOTHING I would want to spend 2-3 hours. You can grab a voucher at the voucher desk (former entry to LX lounge) - that's all about Intra-Schengen alternatives.

If you do have unlimited entry Schengen visas, of course you could head over to Non-Schengen Gate E. That will mean two passport stamps extra (I suppose), but I take it that won't be a problem for you. You might have to explain what you're doing, but I've not heard of any cases where it wasn't possible for a Non-Swiss/EFTA/EU citizen to do that "trip" when on valid Schengen documents..

Actually, I'll myself be in the SEN lounge at Gate E on Sunday late afternoon - so we could share a drink before our flights!

Finally, I am arriving in ZRH in Economy class two days earlier on the same ticket (but with a fare break in ZRH). Does this affect my eligibility to use the lounge if I am ticketed in Economy on the same ticket number?

Sorry for the number of questions, but this seems to be a very complex issue with lots of technicalities that are very customer unfriendly.
As long as you depart from ZRH in C and/or holding *G status, you'll have lounge access.

All said, I'd suggest to head for the Sen E lounge. Drop me a message when you're there/arriving
B747-437B likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:53 am

Actually, I'll myself be in the SEN lounge at Gate E on Sunday late afternoon - so we could share a drink before our flights!
Sounds good! I'll message you when (if) we get to the lounge on Sunday afternoon.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:28 am

In the Lounge now.. they got Lindt chocolate bunnies for Easter..
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:37 am

Just got here as well. We're at the senator side just past the buffet near the windows facing AB. I'm wearing a blue polo shirt.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:00 am

It was great to meet B747, another (very!) frequent flyer (and his very attractive +1 ) today. Great stay in the ZRH lounges
B747-437B likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:05 pm

I want to visit the LX F lounge at ZRH. I'm looking at an award booking as follows: ZRH-MUC-FRA-JFK. The ZRH-MUC will be in either LH or LX J. The MUC-FRA segment in LH J. The FRA-JFK segment in LH F. Based on this routing will I be eligible for LX F lounge access? MUC LH F lounge access? FRA LH F lounge access? Also, I have no airline status. Thank you for your informed reply in advance.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by loopflyer
I want to visit the LX F lounge at ZRH. I'm looking at an award booking as follows: ZRH-MUC-FRA-JFK. The ZRH-MUC will be in either LH or LX J. The MUC-FRA segment in LH J. The FRA-JFK segment in LH F. Based on this routing will I be eligible for LX F lounge access? MUC LH F lounge access? FRA LH F lounge access? Also, I have no airline status. Thank you for your informed reply in advance.
Same day, yes (but only in ZRH. In GVA it was reported that, even on same ticket, access was refused if it wasnt a direct feeder to a F flight)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Same day, yes (but only in ZRH. In GVA it was reported that, even on same ticket, access was refused if it wasnt a direct feeder to a F flight)
I assume access to the ZRH F lounge is OK if arriving on LX F and leaving on LX C (to London)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.