Wiki Posts
Search

50-day advance requiremente for biz class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More Senator
50-day advance requiremente for biz class

I went to the Swiss website to book a r/t from Mia-Zurich 3/22-4/2. I got a full fare price because I did not meet the 50-day requirement. I called reservations. They told me that that requirement is iron-clad and would never be waived. I pointed out that February has only 28 days and that in a regular 30 or 31 day-month I would be able to meet the requirement. The agent had a good laugh but said could not do anything. Has anybody experienced the same problem? The difference in price is ridiculous from 2200.00 USD to more than 8000.00 USD. Thank you
Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:12 am

Programs: BA,Amex,Hilton,Hyatt,SPG
Originally Posted by ampani
I went to the Swiss website to book a r/t from Mia-Zurich 3/22-4/2. I got a full fare price because I did not meet the 50-day requirement. I called reservations. They told me that that requirement is iron-clad and would never be waived. I pointed out that February has only 28 days and that in a regular 30 or 31 day-month I would be able to meet the requirement. The agent had a good laugh but said could not do anything. Has anybody experienced the same problem? The difference in price is ridiculous from 2200.00 USD to more than 8000.00 USD. Thank you
Come on man, 50 days are 50 days!
LH has a 60 days rule!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:13 am

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
I pointed out that February has only 28 days and that in a regular 30 or 31 day-month I would be able to meet the requirement.
I think it's kinda irrelevant if a month has 30, 31 or 28 days - they specified 50 days regardless of what months they were. Whilst the website often has good biz fares, you can sometimes do more flexible and sometimes cheaper fares if you call or visit them directly. I suggest calling them as $8000 sounds like a full-published fare which nobody would pay...

Last edited by fratboy; Feb 3, 2006 at 6:20 am
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most Z fares from US are 50 day fares. But that is not always the case. In the fall, airlines frequently offer transatlantic flights for specific dates that do not have the 50 day requirement.

all the letters in a fare rule have significience(not to me),

zrs138e:
RES MUST BE MADE NO LATER THAN 50 DAYS BEFORE DPTR FROM ORIGIN. TKT MUST BE PURCHASED NO LATER THAN 50 DAYS BEFORE DPTR FROM ORIGIN OR 1 DAY AFTER RES IS MADE, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. SGMTS USING THIS RULE MUST BE CONFIRMED.

zr21ap:
RES MUST BE MADE NO LATER THAN 21 DAYS BEFORE DPTR FROM ORIGIN. TKT MUST BE PURCHASED NO LATER THAN 21 DAYS BEFORE DPTR FROM ORIGIN OR 3 DAYS AFTER RES IS MADE, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. SGMTS USING THIS RULE MUST BE CONFIRMED.

These are 2 Z fares from US for IAD-MUC.

Fares have fare rules. the rules must be observed. the oddest rule I have ever experienced is on a UA fare, IAD-DEN-Aspen. Arr-depart DEN 9am-10am both ways dropped the fare from about $500 to about $200 during high ski season.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More Senator
Originally Posted by fratboy
I think it's kinda irrelevant if a month has 30, 31 or 28 days - they specified 50 days regardless of what months they were. Whilst the website often has good biz fares, you can sometimes do more flexible and sometimes cheaper fares if you call or visit them directly. I suggest calling them as $8000 sounds like a full-published fare which nobody would pay...
I called and was told that 8k was the only fare available. The agent said that Swiss prefers to sell 1 tkt at 8k than 4 at 2k. From a customer point of view it makes no sense, it forces the customer to look elsewhere. I am a LH senator and was looking forward their integration to fly out of Miami at a better time than 3pm. My experience with Swiss so far has been pretty negative. Back in October I had a paid biz and was bumped to economy Zurich-Miami. Now I will not buy 4 tks at 8k a piece and will end up using another airline.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 2:44 am

I called and was told that 8k was the only fare available. The agent said that Swiss prefers to sell 1 tkt at 8k than 4 at 2k. From a customer point of view it makes no sense, it forces the customer to look elsewhere. I am a LH senator and was looking forward their integration to fly out of Miami at a better time than 3pm. My experience with Swiss so far has been pretty negative. Back in October I had a paid biz and was bumped to economy Zurich-Miami. Now I will not buy 4 tks at 8k a piece and will end up using another airline.
U can have a nice SWISS experience if you buy your ticket within the timeframe they give. Blaming an airline for its rules is an age-old question and seems to me totally pointless.
Airlines have rules, like any other industries. I think the point is to make the best out of these rules, but not to blame the airlines for having rules..
Btw, to me it seems pretty strange to judge an airline experience by pointing how they stick to their rules..
Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:41 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
In the Canadian Market LX would waive that rule for the right TA... might be the same in Miami if you call around.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:54 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by ABG
In the Canadian Market LX would waive that rule for the right TA... might be the same in Miami if you call around.

I agree my former agent in LA has this rule waived to certain markets on LX b/c she sends a lot of business there.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Did the fare rule say a month and 10 days? If not, why should they make an exception for you rather than everyone else?? It's your fault for not counting the days properly, not the airline's. So go fly someone else. I doubt you will find a $2200 fare.

Last edited by dh01; Feb 12, 2006 at 11:09 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.